TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Questions for Austin area owners

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Austin Powers, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Austin Powers

Austin Powers Member

Hey Austin Area Owners,
    I'm getting ready to take delivery of my Model S in the upcoming weeks (looks like August delivery as of now). Wanted to get prepped with a few things in the mean time. Here are a few queries I got for ya

1. Opticoat - did you get it? If so, who did you use and the cost?

2. Car wash - any preferred ones? I'd like to use touchless for the first few years at least.

3. Charger outlet - I plan on getting the 14-50 NEMA with no wall connector. Who did you use and the cost? I live outside ATX city limits so I'm not eligible for the Austin Energy rebates. Is there a federal incentive that I can use towards the install?

4. Trade-in: Did you trade-in a car through Tesla? How was the offer? I plan to use Carmax to get Tesla to match. Might also list privately. Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Buddy

Buddy Member

I live in California but since no one else has commented yet I'll share my 2 cents.

1. Recommended by many owners, although owners without it seem happy too.

2. I stay clear of car washes and prefer to wash them myself. Touch less is okay but I don't like the quality I've experienced. When I think of regular washes I imagine those bristles being covered with so much sand and dirt that it's like washing your car with sand paper.

3. I for the 14-50 outlet installed in my garage a couple weeks ago. First we called the company Tesla recommended. They quoted $950 (after military discount). We said No and they immediately said "we can do it for $750". We decided to call other places and the lowest offer we got was $700. Most places also quoted high and changed their price before we hung up.
    Note: all prices included a $300 permit fee. Yours may vary.

4. I am doing a trade in and I was quoted $10,000 for my wife's car which is in the middle of what it's worth as a trade in. I went to CarMax and also got quoted $10k there as well. I have it listed on Craigslist for $13k just in case.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. Austin Powers

Austin Powers Member

Thanks buddy!

4. GasKilla

GasKilla No Gas Know Peace

Call up a few local electrician (read reviews on Yelp or similar site) tell them you need a nema 14-50 in your garage, don't tell them it's for a Tesla or your quote might double ;)

• Like x 2
  5. BrandonR22

BrandonR22 Member

'Yeah.. bought another dryer.. yep!! You can never have enough dryers'

• Funny x 1
  6. Austin Powers

Austin Powers Member

The first quote that I have is about $600. They 'specialize' only in EV installs so I'm assuming their 14-50 outlet comes plated with an EV unicorn's pixie dust.

• Like x 1
  7. tslaaustin

tslaaustin Member

Hey Austinpowers,
    Send me a private message with your email. I have an electricity contracting company that gave me half the price quote for Nema 14-50 240v outlet. They are coming to install it in my garage next week. I can provide you referral. As long as the sub panel in your garage has slots for breaker they will be able to do it in the price.
    I have used them several times work other electrical work at my home so I trust their quality.