Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions for Austin area owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Austin Area Owners,
I'm getting ready to take delivery of my Model S in the upcoming weeks (looks like August delivery as of now). Wanted to get prepped with a few things in the mean time. Here are a few queries I got for ya

1. Opticoat - did you get it? If so, who did you use and the cost?

2. Car wash - any preferred ones? I'd like to use touchless for the first few years at least.

3. Charger outlet - I plan on getting the 14-50 NEMA with no wall connector. Who did you use and the cost? I live outside ATX city limits so I'm not eligible for the Austin Energy rebates. Is there a federal incentive that I can use towards the install?

4. Trade-in: Did you trade-in a car through Tesla? How was the offer? I plan to use Carmax to get Tesla to match. Might also list privately. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Hey Austin Area Owners,
I'm getting ready to take delivery of my Model S in the upcoming weeks (looks like August delivery as of now). Wanted to get prepped with a few things in the mean time. Here are a few queries I got for ya

1. Opticoat - did you get it? If so, who did you use and the cost?

2. Car wash - any preferred ones? I'd like to use touchless for the first few years at least.

3. Charger outlet - I plan on getting the 14-50 NEMA with no wall connector. Who did you use and the cost? I live outside ATX city limits so I'm not eligible for the Austin Energy rebates. Is there a federal incentive that I can use towards the install?

4. Trade-in: Did you trade-in a car through Tesla? How was the offer? I plan to use Carmax to get Tesla to match. Might also list privately. Thoughts?

Thanks!
I live in California but since no one else has commented yet I'll share my 2 cents.

1. Recommended by many owners, although owners without it seem happy too.

2. I stay clear of car washes and prefer to wash them myself. Touch less is okay but I don't like the quality I've experienced. When I think of regular washes I imagine those bristles being covered with so much sand and dirt that it's like washing your car with sand paper.

3. I for the 14-50 outlet installed in my garage a couple weeks ago. First we called the company Tesla recommended. They quoted $950 (after military discount). We said No and they immediately said "we can do it for $750". We decided to call other places and the lowest offer we got was $700. Most places also quoted high and changed their price before we hung up.
Note: all prices included a $300 permit fee. Yours may vary.

4. I am doing a trade in and I was quoted $10,000 for my wife's car which is in the middle of what it's worth as a trade in. I went to CarMax and also got quoted $10k there as well. I have it listed on Craigslist for $13k just in case.

Call up a few local electrician (read reviews on Yelp or similar site) tell them you need a nema 14-50 in your garage, don't tell them it's for a Tesla or your quote might double ;)

The first quote that I have is about $600. They 'specialize' only in EV installs so I'm assuming their 14-50 outlet comes plated with an EV unicorn's pixie dust.
Hey Austinpowers,
Send me a private message with your email. I have an electricity contracting company that gave me half the price quote for Nema 14-50 240v outlet. They are coming to install it in my garage next week. I can provide you referral. As long as the sub panel in your garage has slots for breaker they will be able to do it in the price.
I have used them several times work other electrical work at my home so I trust their quality.