Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions for owners in hot states (texas, Arizona, etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would not plan a trip of over 200 miles without a charging stop. You may get 230, but it could be marginal and who wants to be looking for a charger with 30 miles to go and 40 miles of range left?
From the Denton, TX Supercharger to the Perry, OK SC is 225 miles. I've done that a few times without problems and with 60-80 miles left. I do an almost full charge though and using NoA. (Of course, should I run a bit short, additional electrons are available at either Ardmore or Oklahoma City SCs).

My understanding is that you can really get 300 if you put on the 19" wheels and tires. (There is a winter package with 19", so 19" fit fine).
Boy I hope so, or high 200's at least. I guess my assumption was that the 316 mi advertised range was generally accurate, but it appears that the 'norm' is more in the 230 - 250 range. I don't take a lot of long trips but go to Cape Cod every year - that's about 300 miles from where I live to my timeshare. Fully expected to do a quick charge when we stop half-way for a bathroom break. I also typically drive to St Augustine FL at least once a year so had fully planned to make 3 stops to charge. But if the range is really gong to be like 250 miles, that means a 4th stop. It's a little disappointing, honestly, even though you have the same issue with EPA mileage numbers on ICEmobiles.

FWIW, I typically set the speed control for 74 on the highway. I'm wondering if I should wait for the RWD LR for the (assumed) extra range.

Think the real world range is just a little too short for me. Really disappointed I really wanted to get one.
One last option depending on work situation would be “trickle charging” at places you were stopped over an hour. The extra 20-25 miles from 5 hours of trickling if you had accessible plugs can give a bit more cushion/security

I will say my Y sucks for range with the AC on, I can drive the same way. without AC on i am between 250-280 wi/mi. with the AC on (at 72) my Y is at 380-460 wi/mi I had no issues with my Model 3 with AC on and driving around at 260 wi/mi

I will say my Y sucks for range with the AC on, I can drive the same way. without AC on i am between 250-280 wi/mi. with the AC on (at 72) my Y is at 380-460 wi/mi I had no issues with my Model 3 with AC on and driving around at 260 wi/mi
That seems high...possibly worth a service ticket. My AC doesn't change power usage to that degree and in general, is more affected by hills and stop/start.

That seems high...possibly worth a service ticket. My AC doesn't change power usage to that degree and in general, is more affected by hills and stop/start.

I put in a service request already but next appt is end of the month, We'll see what they say
Its a huge different in wi/mi with and without AC, Have had a S and 2 model 3s, I know the system is new in the Y but see people posting that are towing a trailer with the AC on and using less power then mine