Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions for owners of first deliveries of refreshed Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Omar, thanks for your patience in answering so many questions and I hope this one that I have hasn't been asked before. I'm concerned about the width of my garage and if I'm going to have a problem using the summons feature getting in and out of it. The width of my garage opening is 103 inches. Have you tried your summons feature in your garage yet. I know there is a tight setting for it and I'm hoping the sensors and camera's have been upgraded help it into tight spaces. Very much appreciate any info you can give to me as it is an important issue. This feature may need FSD to work which I have ordered.

The car is quite wide. I thought my AMG gts was as wide as you could get but this guy is wider. I have to give myself more turn to park in my garage than I expected.
Thanks for replying. Do you have the summons feature and if so have you used it to park in and out of your garage. The manual says the widest part of the car I believe is 79 inches. Even if it was several inches more I should have 9 plus inches on either side to get in. The question is will that be enough for the sensors to read that it's safe to get through. I have done it with my friends 2017 S that has enhanced autopilot with the summons feature but I can't seem to get a good feel for how much wider the refresh model s is than the old S

Thanks for replying. Do you have the summons feature and if so have you used it to park in and out of your garage. The manual says the widest part of the car I believe is 79 inches. Even if it was several inches more I should have 9 plus inches on either side to get in. The question is will that be enough for the sensors to read that it's safe to get through. I have done it with my friends 2017 S that has enhanced autopilot with the summons feature but I can't seem to get a good feel for how much wider the refresh model s is than the old S
I don’t have FSD so I assume I don’t have summon

Omar, thanks for your patience in answering so many questions and I hope this one that I have hasn't been asked before. I'm concerned about the width of my garage and if I'm going to have a problem using the summons feature getting in and out of it. The width of my garage opening is 103 inches. Have you tried your summons feature in your garage yet. I know there is a tight setting for it and I'm hoping the sensors and camera's have been upgraded help it into tight spaces. Very much appreciate any info you can give to me as it is an important issue. This feature may need FSD to work which I have ordered.
So kinda.

I have a standard 20' x 20' two car garage in which is home to both a Model X and my Plaid S. To the good news is that we can fit both cars in the garage and summons does work. The caution is the Plaid is a bit picky. I had to clean out my side fo the garage bit, which helps, but if my Wie parks a bit too close to the centerline than my Plaid balks at pulling in--it's more forgiving of pulling out.

Ironically, my wife's X (AP1) is more forgiving than my Plaid when it comes to summons. Again, I feel like the Plaid SW is a little undone, and I expect this will get better over time.

The body of the old and new cars is the same. There was speculation the back fenders were flared a bit on the refresh, but I don't think so. The max width of the Model S is 77.3 inches. Even if the fenders are flared, the mirrors, even when folded, stick out the furthest. I have my car set to autofold the mirrors at home. They fold when I pull into the driveway, though there is a firmware bug that Tesla won't fix that unfolds the mirrors in the garage. Sometimes it will re-autofold them when I start, but often they won't and I have to manually fold them.

So kinda.

I have a standard 20' x 20' two car garage in which is home to both a Model X and my Plaid S. To the good news is that we can fit both cars in the garage and summons does work. The caution is the Plaid is a bit picky. I had to clean out my side fo the garage bit, which helps, but if my Wie parks a bit too close to the centerline than my Plaid balks at pulling in--it's more forgiving of pulling out.

Ironically, my wife's X (AP1) is more forgiving than my Plaid when it comes to summons. Again, I feel like the Plaid SW is a little undone, and I expect this will get better over time.

My 2016 AP1 S summons just fine with all the junk to the right of my car. Pulling out of the garage with me in the car the sensors are pinging like a pinball machine, but it manages just fine. It sounds like the newer SW is more touchy.

Can other owners of refresh Model S relate to this twitter message from Leo?

824B00BF-5194-49DC-8258-B8F70EAB5147.png
981A2E9C-A858-4B7D-A7F3-FF186C9F7E6B.png
1160EEF9-8010-4BC3-B76D-8E5A036C6072.png

Last edited:
Reactions: pslawing
So kinda.

Thanks Omar for taking the time, on a holiday yet to respond. I have on order the ms lr but i don't think that will make much of a difference. My only concern is the width of my garage door opening which is 104 inches. So will it sense that the opening is too small and not want to move forward into it. I have tried it with a 2017 S with the summons feature and it seemed to work and based on the specs in the new manual it shows that the width of the new refreshed model S is only an inch or so wider. I just don't know how much to believe the manual. If it's correct, which says it's 86.2 " with the side mirrors open and 78.2 with them closed, even if it's somewhere in the middle should leave 7-9 inches of clearance on each side which should be enough on the Tight setting. Just didn't want to get it home and find out it doesnt work in my garage. Once it gets past the door opening the garage opens wider so it's just the opening I'm concerned about. I've watched youtube videos on people getting in with their old model s and some seem to work in very tight spaces and some have trouble. Hopefully someone with a new refresh S and a tight garage will make a video. Anyway, thanks again for all your help to everyone during this incredible experience, both frustrating and exhilarating.
Hope you and your family enjoy this special holiday and please, please take the day off from all you inquisitive fans.

I just don't know how much to believe the manual.
I would believe the manual. What interest does Tesla have in lying about the width of the car?
Once it gets past the door opening the garage opens wider so it's just the opening I'm concerned about. I've watched youtube videos on people getting in with their old model s and some seem to work in very tight spaces and some have trouble.
I would also caution against using summon in tight situations, especially garages. Tesla's have been known to veer off to the side and end up scratching against the front fenders.

The car is quite wide. I thought my AMG gts was as wide as you could get but this guy is wider. I have to give myself more turn to park in my garage than I expected.
I just checked my old AMG gts width. The new S is actually only 1” wider so it should be easy for me to be comfortable with it. Also the parking cameras are so much better than the mb was, it should be easier to park than the Benz. Both cars have big expensive wheels with low tires that can easily be scraped by curbs. Never did that with Benz and expect the same with this one. I hate scratched wheels.

Reactions: cwanja