Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick impressions of a 2023 Model X test drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
Just had a test drive of a new (2023) Model X. Coming from a 2015 Model S with coil suspension. What I was most focused on was ride comfort and noise, not performance or the technology.
In short, I was disappointed. The ride was on the harsh side. Probably a little better than my Model S, but I was expecting a much softer, smoother ride after what I had read about the improved air suspension that came with the Raven versions of both cars. I made sure the suspension was set to "Comfort." The seating position was good but the seat was a bit hard. When I took a short drive on the freeway, I was very surprised by the road and wind noise -- I had read that they were much improved in the new models, but I was not impressed. Perhaps I was spoiled by the test drives I took in Audi eTrons a while ago -- their ride is much more supple, quiet, and smooth. (If only the Audis were as good as tesla in other ways, especially software.)
This was only a 20-minute drive, and if it had been more comfortable I might plan to take another one, but on the basis of this ride I do not think a Model X is on my list of possible next EVs.... which is disappointing.

Reactions: youngmcdonald
the newer X doesn't really wow me. I'm fine with my 2019 until it gets another refresh...
Do you think there will be another? Seems as if most manufacturers would drop a model that sells as few units as Model X seems to. And ceasing sales in the countries with right-hand drive seems like a possible early sign. (Although I guess Tesla still technically sells the X is England, it only sells left hand drive versions there now. Not sure about Australia and Hong Kong.)

the newer X doesn't really wow me. I'm fine with my 2019 until it gets another refresh...
I’ve bought two and will never buy the current gen. due to non-fix of long term product issues plus cost/benefit of vehicle.

Our two current Y‘s are fantastic vehicles and when/if I replace my last X it will be with a Y.

FWIW: for next gen X, they should just build a bigger Y.

Do you think there will be another? Seems as if most manufacturers would drop a model that sells as few units as Model X seems to. And ceasing sales in the countries with right-hand drive seems like a possible early sign. (Although I guess Tesla still technically sells the X is England, it only sells left hand drive versions there now. Not sure about Australia and Hong Kong.)
They will redo it somehow, as they won't drop the 'flagship suv'. By stopping right hand sales, it means they don't have enough faith in it, to mass produce it, in current form. Something newer/cheaper is coming.

When you test drive the Y and park next to the new X, you have to ask... is the X REALLY worth DOUBLE? is it worth more, yes. DOUBLE? Hell. No. I'd pay $80 for a new X, but 100, ain't gonna happen. They either need to make it appear to be worth 100, or just cut it to 80k. the Y is fine value for money. Add air suspension and make it 10% bigger and charge $75 for that.

Just had a test drive of a new (2023) Model X. Coming from a 2015 Model S with coil suspension. What I was most focused on was ride comfort and noise, not performance or the technology.
In short, I was disappointed. The ride was on the harsh side. Probably a little better than my Model S, but I was expecting a much softer, smoother ride after what I had read about the improved air suspension that came with the Raven versions of both cars. I made sure the suspension was set to "Comfort." The seating position was good but the seat was a bit hard. When I took a short drive on the freeway, I was very surprised by the road and wind noise -- I had read that they were much improved in the new models, but I was not impressed. Perhaps I was spoiled by the test drives I took in Audi eTrons a while ago -- their ride is much more supple, quiet, and smooth. (If only the Audis were as good as tesla in other ways, especially software.)
This was only a 20-minute drive, and if it had been more comfortable I might plan to take another one, but on the basis of this ride I do not think a Model X is on my list of possible next EVs.... which is disappointing.
Did it have the 20” or 22” wheels? I find our new X with 20” wheels to be very comfortable.

I’ve bought two and will never buy the current gen. due to non-fix of long term product issues plus cost/benefit of vehicle.

Our two current Y‘s are fantastic vehicles and when/if I replace my last X it will be with a Y.

FWIW: for next gen X, they should just build a bigger Y.
I agree, and have said that in some other thread. And when I say a bigger Y, I would include air suspension, on the assumption that that would help the ride even though i was disappointed in this ride. Plus "normal" doors. And if I were in charge, I'd include stalks and an instrument cluster.

I agree, and have said that in some other thread. And when I say a bigger Y, I would include air suspension, on the assumption that that would help the ride even though i was disappointed in this ride. Plus "normal" doors. And if I were in charge, I'd include stalks and an instrument cluster.
This is the way.

Model Y + 10-15% bigger.
Normal doors.
Normal buttons.
Normal stalks.
Dual screens for driver, and air suspension.
Slightly more battery - 350 range.

$79,900 out the door. qualifies for rebate. SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.

Reactions: X Fan
Have you done a test drive in a Model Y ?

I have owned a model S, Model 3 and now a Model Y and the Y is my favorite out of all of them. Make sure you drive one with the 19 inch wheels for the best ride comfort.

And I must say that the stalkless design on the new S and X is horrible. Another reason to avoid them.

Some of the most critical comments on the X I have read in a while.
I've owned a 2019 and a 2022.
The 2022 is the most exhilarating and pleasant and easy car to drive I have owned.
The suspension strikes a balance between comfort and sporty which is no mean feat considering the weight.
Before buying the 2022 I test drove the Y and wanted to like it ....a lot. The size was perfect, the handling was great, but the ride and overall luxury and quality of the car was at least 10 zip codes away from the X.
Considering what else was and is available I would not hesitate to buy it again. Not perfect but the best car available at almost any price.

Have you done a test drive in a Model Y ?

I have owned a model S, Model 3 and now a Model Y and the Y is my favorite out of all of them. Make sure you drive one with the 19 inch wheels for the best ride comfort.

And I must say that the stalkless design on the new S and X is horrible. Another reason to avoid them.
Yes, I have taken two test drives in the Model Y. The first was in a performance model with thinner sidewall tires and rode uncomfortably hard. The second drive was in a non-performance model. The ride was tolerable, but I did not like the seats -- the bolsters were too hard and the seating space a bit narrow for my butt. I liked the car in a general way -- it was a good size, nice seating position, etc., and I assumed i could get used to the single center screen as a million other owners have. But I really want more comfort. Between the marginal ride and the hard seats, I felt I had to look elsewhere. Which is why i was so disappointed that the Model X was not much more comfortable despite its higher price and air suspension.

Reactions: X Fan
The reason why we traded my wife's Y in for the X was the Y had an appallingly crashy, go kart undamped, uncivilized drive. On the 19s this was too! The interior of the Y was worse than a low end Kia. The X interior is marginally better but the *ride* is much better. From a driver perspective overall. Wife had Lexus before and said the Y never gelled for her and she had no connection or feedback driving in the Y. She says the X is night and day across many different metrics and interfaces and I agree. Relatively though, the X..It's hilariously poor compared to my bmw IX in terms of driving NVH and smoothness as a driver (let alone fit finishand quality of materials) but obviously as a plaid the power is there. But she and I agree the X is at least approaching a normal middle of the road lower end German car in terms of road manners, relatively at least, compared with the Y that we had before. We got the X for a range of positive Tesla variables for her, as well as our family needs. Your personal experiences may differ, suggest long test drives in other vehicles to compare against the X. Our mix of vehicles (X for general and family duties and iX as commuter and general duties for me) and a tow vehicle for hauling. Test drive adequately and long enough in mixed situations.

We have 2023 MX Plaid and MYP
My wife wouldnt even drive Y unless it's absolutely necessary
I love both, but X wins in every department for me
We owned 2016 and 2019 X previously, and 2015 MS
New MX is lightyears better than previous model
Refinement, fit and finish, cabin quietness, comfort, power, driving dynamics, and looks to name a few
It charges a lot quicker than all of the above cars

The reason why we traded my wife's Y in for the X was the Y had an appallingly crashy, go kart undamped, uncivilized drive. On the 19s this was too! The interior of the Y was worse than a low end Kia. The X interior is marginally better but the *ride* is much better. From a driver perspective overall. Wife had Lexus before and said the Y never gelled for her and she had no connection or feedback driving in the Y. She says the X is night and day across many different metrics and interfaces and I agree. Relatively though, the X..It's hilariously poor compared to my bmw IX in terms of driving NVH and smoothness as a driver (let alone fit finishand quality of materials) but obviously as a plaid the power is there. But she and I agree the X is at least approaching a normal middle of the road lower end German car in terms of road manners, relatively at least, compared with the Y that we had before. We got the X for a range of positive Tesla variables for her, as well as our family needs. Your personal experiences may differ, suggest long test drives in other vehicles to compare against the X. Our mix of vehicles (X for general and family duties and iX as commuter and general duties for me) and a tow vehicle for hauling. Test drive adequately and long enough in mixed situations.
I have not driven any BMW EVs but have driven Audi eTrons and yesterday drove a Mercedes EQE SUV. The eTron has the best ride and handling of the SUV-like cars I have driven. I was pleased with the comfort of the EQE but the ride seemed a bit boat-like, with more motion than I expected. The EQE did not have the optional sir suspension, which might have made a difference. The Model X felt like an old worn-out car by comparison to either of the German cars.

Have owned a '16, '21 and the current '22 X Plaid. the '22 is the best X we've ever owned. Most quiet of all 3 generations. Best build quality, fit and finish. Actually the ride on the '22 is a little too soft for me. My other EV is a Taycan Cross Turismo. Wife loves the '22 X (we call it Optimus). We also have 2 Range Rover Sports before ('14 and '19), and she prefer the '22 X because of its soft ride. She never wants to drive Taycan (more wheel time for me), I like the X for road trips, it's a great car compared to previous X. I think the new X is a great compromise, especially in Plaid form. compared to the germans, it's no where near their build quality, but have you used the German UI and software? If you don't want to deal with software issues, go Tesla (and that's saying a lot, consider the amount of software issues we have).
Before I bought the '22 X Plaid, I was looking at the EQS SUV (it was 1st choice), but the dealers want a $25k markup for a '22 delivery. So I just went to Tesla.com, login and bought a Plaid from start to finish in a month and half with no markup. Fastest X I've ever bought, both in process and acceleration.

I guess rides are subjective, or maybe I just got a good one. Love our '22 Plaid. Would buy again if something happens to this one. It'll beat almost any car in a straight sprint, and carry 6 passengers with FWD. C'mon, that's gotta be cool.

-ThinkMac-
P.S. - oh, biggest win or the '22. superquiet (relatively of course) compared to the previous gens. Night and day for me.

I, too, am not impressed with the Tesla air suspension. We have 19 MX 100D and 22 MS LR. I had a 15 MS 85D. The 22 MS LR's ride quality is not much of an improvement over my MS 85D. I was thinking of replacing the 19MX 100D with 23 MX LR. After a year with 22 MS LR, I decided not to. Will wait for the next refresh of MX.

Truth be told I like both the eTron and EQS, but the lack of charging infrastructure and the price point put me back to a 22 MS LR.

Reactions: Vitaman

I had the exact opposite experience and after the test drive, I immediately placed my order. Coming from a MYP, the MXP on 20's was a dream to drive on the crappy pot hole ridden roads in Nashville. The suspension was smooth and handled both small and large bumps without any jarring effects compared to the MYP and M3P that I previously owned.