Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

QuickJack BL-5000SLX sale @ Costco

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Understandable - I'm gonna roll with it and see how it goes. If there's something I don't like about it, Costco's return policy is awesome. I'd like for this to work because I'm far more likely to own a smaller/lighter car in the future than vice-versa. I might post photos here when it arrives.

FWIW - the plastic rocker panel covers can deform considerably before presenting any kinds of issues. Every time I take my car to the SC, they return it with dusty little imprints from their lift and I can tell that it covers a lot more surface area around the jack point than the QuickJack blocks. No issues.

Cool. Good luck with it. I’m sure you’ll like using it. Here’s a photo of mine from a few months ago....

CB122D9F-A18B-433E-961B-F3828CE0B8F0.jpeg

I'd love to have one of these, but i'd use it relatively rarely...wonder if i can rent it out to people in LA (with a nice waiver for liability of course) to justify buying it, or maybe at least tell myself that :)

Does the puck deform to match the surface of the jack point, and still provide a flat surface on the other side for the jack ?
If so, that would calm my nerves.
I'd love to have one of these, but i'd use it relatively rarely...wonder if i can rent it out to people in LA (with a nice waiver for liability of course) to justify buying it, or maybe at least tell myself that :)

Had the same feeling that I won’t use it often but when you do it’s really handy and quick to setup. That said it’s heavy and I sure wouldn’t want to move it as a rental item. Each side weighs close to 100lbs plus you have the hoses and hydraulic pump. You’d need a truck to move it most likely and would become a pain quickly.

As a side note, I have SwissTrax flooring in my garage and the jacks slide really nicely on it to position them under the car.

Are any of you guys labeling your floor to make it easier to get it into the perfect position? I imagine getting the car into consistent placement is the hard part but I don’t think that’s insurmountable.

I have about 1/2” of clearance being lowered on MPP comfort coilovers with the Quikjack rubber block and Murphy jack pads. It’s pretty easy to line up without needing to fidget around moving and realigning the jacks. Makes it easy to even detail the bottom 1/2 of your car without breaking your back.

I used the one from Costco on my car. I agree that the points are 1/2 of a puck on each end too short. I raised it and it seemed fined and took a risk since pushing on the car on the up position felt super stable. The puck does seem to crush the end of of rubber block.
7A4A29A4-B5C9-45A6-B0D5-4C5941BBD47B.jpeg

I believe the EXT may fit more cars than I previously assumed.

Our Mazda CX-3 has a wheelbase of 101.2" with oddly-sized 215/50 18" tires (26.5" diameter). I measured 82" point-to-point between the tires 3" above the ground. Subtract the recommended 2" margin & you get 80" - QJ recommends >76.5" for the EXT.

I'm too lazy to do the fancy math, but I think that means the EXT should fit cars with a larger wheelbase & smaller diameter tires. Here's a short list of the few remaining (new) cars worth owning & their wheelbase / wheel diameter (in.):

Subaru BRZ (101.2 / 24.8)
Volkswagen Golf R (103.5 / 25.5)
Audi RS3 (103.6 / 25.5)
Honda Civic Type R (106.3 / 25.8) - a lot of guys on the forums were bitching the SLX was too short for it, surprisingly
Subaru WRX (104.3 / 25.7)

I'm ignoring lift point spread & assuming it's good on pretty much any car... I don't know of any cars with jack points 3 feet apart. That'd be really weird. Unfortunately I don't think it would fit a Miata (90.9 / 24.3) or older Boxsters (95.1 / 26.3). I guess you could turn them sideways, but that would block a lot of transmission/exhaust work... unless you put jack stands on the subframes. It's tight, but the SLX seems like it fits the Model 3 fine based on the pics I'm seeing... might be a coin toss.

I have the 5000 series from Costco as well. I agree it's 1-2" too short on each end, but still useable. My car is lowered 30mm so I only use the supplied blocks. Even then it barely slides under my car with just a few millimeters clearance.

I use mine 1-2 times a month at least, since I swap wheels every time I go to the track and also work on my brakes more than I would like. The only thing I don't like is how heavy it is to maneuver around the garage, but overall an awesome investment. I also use it to store the car suspended with the wheels removed while deployed to keep the tires from flat spotting.

IMG_8484.JPG

Are any of you guys labeling your floor to make it easier to get it into the perfect position? I imagine getting the car into consistent placement is the hard part but I don’t think that’s insurmountable.

No labeling or marking of the floors (to line up the vehicle or Quickjack) is needed IMO. Assuming you are positioning the Quickjack in the normal front-to-rear orientation, it is very easy to line it up perfectly with the front & rear jack points just by eye-balling the lines of the Quickjack frame with the natural lines of the vehicle.

“Pro” tip: I also bought some Magic slides from Amazon and taped them to the underside of the Quickjack frames. See attached link. These slides allow me to move/slide the Quickjack frames on the floor with ease and also prevents the frames from scuffing up my epoxy coated floors. As someone else said, these frames are heavy. So, sliding them around is a whole lot easier (and much faster) than lifting one end of the frame to roll it around (the other end of the frame has these tiny wheels built into the frame).

The attached product is just a four pack, with each slider piece being 4” long. However, I cut each one in half because you really only need about 2” of length for each piece. That gave me 8 pieces. So, I put/taped one slider at each of the four corners of each frame. This little modification is a must IMO. The sliders make it so very easy to move the frames around, especially when you’re laying on the floor and trying to make minor adjustments to the position of the frame to line it up with your jack points.

https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Sliders-4124-16x4-Slider/dp/B000KKXGAQ

I already know what you are going to ask me next, so I’ll just answer it now. No, the sliders do not cause any unexpected movement of the Quickjack frames while you’re using it lift the vehicle or when the Quickjack frame has raised the vehicle to the maximum height. The heavy weight of the vehicle compresses the sliders (but does not crush/break them) and it’s really impossible for the frames to move around with all that weight on it (I’m assuming your garage floors are somewhat level, of course). So, it is perfectly safe!!! Still, I would like for you to sign a waiver before you decide to take my suggestion.. :D;)

I believe the EXT may fit more cars than I previo usly assumed...

My wife drives a 2019 Honda CRV and if I remember correctly, the Quickjack SLX model also did not line up very well with the pinch weld jack points on her vehicle. So, that was just another reason why I returned it and got the EXT model. Ultimately, I think you will just have to tinker around with the SLX model when it arrives and see for yourself if it fits/works to your satisfaction. I hope it does. While Costco does make the returning process very easy for us, it is not an easy task to pack everything up and haul the Quickjack to your nearest Costco warehouse.

Good luck, bro. I’d be happy to answer any additional questions you may have.

• Informative
Reactions: Dolemite
... The only thing I don't like is how heavy it is to maneuver around the garage...

Hey there. Give the sliders a try. They will definitely make it easier to move the frames around the garage, especially if you are talking about relative short distances. Of course, if you normally move the frames a longer distance (like from one end of your garage to the other end), then perhaps using the more traditional method (lift & roll) might be faster.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlyNavy01
I’ll probably get the extension. It’s only $200 but probably better for piece of mind.
Just gotta remember that that'll significantly increase its hight - I've read about people w/ the 7000 having trouble squeezing it underneath a P3D+ even though it's only 1/2" taller, so that might become a nuisance. I'd personally much rather continue doing what you're doing.

Just gotta remember that that'll significantly increase its hight - I've read about people w/ the 7000 having trouble squeezing it underneath a P3D+ even though it's only 1/2" taller, so that might become a nuisance. I'd personally much rather continue doing what you're doing.
That’s nothing. Just drive on some 2x4s. Park. Slide the jack underneath. Done. Rinse and repeat in reverse.