Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quitting Autosteer use

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i love AutoPilot. Has made long range driving a breeze... on one occasion, it jumped lanes and I almost hit the car on my right, He breaked and I swerved. I send the Blackvue Front and back camera footage... nothing... After 3 months of me pressing, I went in to recalibrate cameras... AP1. My wife refuses to use it... I am a tech geek... and do all of the long range driving, so I continue using AP- though the incident was not easy on the nerves.

I have a Model S with AP1 and a Model X with AP2. Autopilot on AP1 is pretty good and reliable, will rarely do unexpected things. I will use it anytime. Autopilot on AP2 drives a bit like a drunk driver at times, with sudden breaking and the occasional swerve. I still use it, but with extra care, and not with my family on board.

• Informative
Reactions: NerdUno
Let me preface by saying that I'm an adamant Tesla supporter to my family, friends, and everyone that I talk to.
I've been driving the X for 4 months now. I have a 21-year accident-free driving record.

Last night on a return trip home with my family, my X 17.17.4 decided to try to ruin my driving record. I had AP2 engaged, hand lightly on wheel as always. The CA-99 freeway was very straight at that point, so I was in relax mode even with cars everywhere being a holiday weekend. Lane markers were clearly marked. Autosteer suddenly veered to the right lane as if it was doing a lane change right into a car next to mine. Reflex kicked in and I was able to jerk it back, but not without a violent swerve back and forth at 80mph. I'd understand if it was curvy, but this section was so straight!

Overhead signs read, "Report Drunk Drivers. Call 911." I'm fairly certain that a few 911 calls were made reporting a drunken white Tesla X. I drove the rest of the way myself, not trusting AP anymore after that, not with my family on board.

I've had close calls in the past in ICE cars, perhaps once a year if that, just part of the driving experience. In the past 4 months though, I've had at least a monthly scare. The latest incident had me swearing never to use AP until it improves significantly, until it reaches the stated yearly scare and not monthly scare.

I just have to ask, is there anyone else not using AP at all? Don't get me wrong, I love driving my X and would buy it again in a heartbeat. I'm just curious if there's anyone else who completely lost trust in AP to do any of the driving.
It's January 1, 2022, four and a half years after the above post. I had an identical experience last night in my Model 3. I was driving on Interstate 280 about 10 pm. The freeway was well lit, and there was almost no traffic. Being New Year's Eve, I had the car on autosteer with the speed set to 70. A car pulled to my left, nearly matching my speed. Very abruptly, my Model 3 attempted a violent turn into the lane to the left. Fortunately, I had a tight grip on the wheel, and quickly muscled the car back into my lane. I don't know if the other car had to take evasive action or not. However, there was absolutely no reason for this. The road was clear, visibility was good, and the only cars around were my Model 3 and the adjacent car to the left.

This morning I cleaned the front windshield. There was a very small blot in front of the forward facing camer camera. Perhaps a small insect hit the windshield at that moment last night, and the Tesla interpreted it as an oncoming object. That's pure speculation, but I have no other explanation.

Had I not reacted quickly, I would have hit the car to the my left, possibly forcing him into the left wall of the freeway. Autosteer introduces some serious risks. My car has FSD (which doesn't exist, of course, but I bought the option), and I am running the most recent software upgrades.

Autosteer will not do a lane change unless you ask for it, or there is some other good reason to change lanes (e.g. lanes merging), unless your car really has a problem! Video would be handy to make your case. In any event report to Tesla.

I use AP (AP1 in my case) all the time on highways (have done probably at least 50,000 km on AP) and have never encountered such behaviour. Apart from when there are road works, or when a truck driver next to me won't keep his lane, I have more or less never had to intervene with AP doing its job. In any event AP never tried to change lanes (let alone abruptly) without me initiating that.

Please let us know what feedback you get from Tesla on this issue.

I've had the same thing happen to me that the OP reported. Not very often but I don't trust autosteer and only use it on wide open roads when there are no cars right around me. When it comes to being on multi lane highways with any significant amount of traffic around me, i don't use autosteer.