Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radar and Highway on 36.5.3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 model 3, dual motor, long range, fsd, 99K miles, 36.5.3

Had my first highway run with FSD Beta. Once the car completed the onramp, the screen reverted to the NOA screen, which begged the question is it running on radar now or is it still vision and only the screen reverts back to NOA. Does anybody know? I've read the highway software was not converted yet to the city software, so does it mean it turns the radar back on?

On a side note, operator error, who's smarter. Came upon a red traffic light I was turning right onto the main road, car kept creeping up. Not realizing what was going on I stepped on the brake wondering why it did that. Little later at same light I watched the car in front of me make the right on red. Duh. Funny when I am on beta, I am so cautious I forget what I would normally due at an intersection. On another road approaching a left I was to make, the car put it's right blinker on, what the ... I cancel it, only to have my wife tell me it's the next left we turn at, car wins again.

Lastly at a 4 way stop sign with two cars in front, one to the left and one across I was curious to see if the car would take it's turn. Car across went, two cars in front of me went (only one should have gone). Now it's me and the car to the left and one approaching from the stop sign from right, ok, who's going to move first (it should be left). The car waited until the one on the left cleared the intersection and then proceeded and made the left. Pretty cool. Be curious to see what happens when 4 of us are there at same time. Starting to get a little more comfortable with it, but it's still a white knuckle experience. I tend to hit the brakes more and take control more often on the beta, way more than I ever did on AP. It's a learning curve and definitely Beta. It definitely slows and stops at redlights way better than before, getting close to natural. Stop signs not to much, hit and miss, some pretty good others a disaster.

Be safe out there.

2018 model 3, dual motor, long range, fsd, 99K miles, 36.5.3

Had my first highway run with FSD Beta. Once the car completed the onramp, the screen reverted to the NOA screen, which begged the question is it running on radar now or is it still vision and only the screen reverts back to NOA. Does anybody know? I've read the highway software was not converted yet to the city software, so does it mean it turns the radar back on?....
No radar since it uses the same software that is used in the new NON radar equipped 3 and Y with AP/NOA. Still old stack but Vision only.

To check you will see that you can only adjust to Follow Distance 2 and limited to 80MPH.

Last edited:
As far as I know on your car and mine Sept 2018 P3D+ our radars have been deactivated for the vision only. We are not single stack yet so it transitions from Beta FSD to Noa and back and now remains on vision while on both.

Ski

2018 LR RWD

It seems like not FSD beta and not radar because 1) 80 MPH limit while on NoA, 2) visualization switch to old style, & 3) treats lane splits and merges like the old (production) NoA does (jerky and not smooth). I don’t know what production vision only NoA looks like, but it’s interesting to see cars in lanes farther than just the next lane over now when it switches back to old visualization.