Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radar v Teslavison

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Hayseed_MS

Spreader of "Endless Non Sequitur"
Jan 19, 2021
Strong Badia
Have a 2021 Model S refresh - built 6/21. I understand it has radar.

New cars built now will not have radar but use vision only. Since my car is basically the same but with a physical radar, will my car have its radar turned off by software or will the radar still function?

New cars built now will not have radar but use vision only. Since my car is basically the same but with a physical radar, will my car have its radar turned off by software or will the radar still function?

The timeline is unknown but at this trajectory, all radar-equipped Tesla cars will eventually join the radarless group to become Pure Vision/Radarless only.

The timeline is unknown but at this trajectory, all radar-equipped Tesla cars will eventually join the radarless group to become Pure Vision/Radarless only.
Not looking forward to that. I had FSD beta on a car I’ve just sold which used Tesla vision. Far more instances of phantom breaking and unexpected behavior on routes where radar was solid.

My MS was delivered on February 11 and has a manufacturer date of 1/22. I assume mine still has radar. When Tesla goes to all camera, will the radar be disable or both will be functional for those equipped?

Yep.

The only question is when it will get turned off, and whether you have FSD will be a large factor in when it will be turned off.

I would be a bit cautious in doing SW upgrades so you know if the one you're about to install will remove radar.

When radar was removed (with FSD Beta enrollment) I noticed a huge decrease in performance in the rain. In fact for the first time since I used adaptive cruise control in a Tesla it lowered the speed which adaptive cruise control would go.

Yep.
The only question is when it will get turned off, and whether you have FSD will be a large factor in when it will be turned off.
I would be a bit cautious in doing SW upgrades so you know if the one you're about to install will remove radar.
When radar was removed (with FSD Beta enrollment) I noticed a huge decrease in performance in the rain. In fact for the first time since I used adaptive cruise control in a Tesla it lowered the speed which adaptive cruise control would go.

These are both false statements. According to knowledgable experts who decompile Tesla's firmware, the radar in any Teslas that have it is still used for:

- Forward collision warning
- Automatic emergency braking
- Obstacle-aware cruise control

It is true that it appears to no longer be used in vehicles with so-called "full self driving". ...when FSD is actually in use.

Moreover, Tesla continues to service and replace the radar units in vehicles that have them, and Service managers have been told they will be maintaining the needed inventory for the foreseeable future to continue doing so.

These are both false statements.

Which statement is false and how is the statement false.

I was under the impression that FSD Beta does not use the radar, and is Tesla Vision only. It doesn't matter if FSD beta is turned on or not. It will still have the same limitations as a Tesla Vision only vehicle.

Which statement is false and how is the statement false.

I was under the impression that FSD Beta does not use the radar, and is Tesla Vision only. It doesn't matter if FSD beta is turned on or not. It will still have the same limitations as a Tesla Vision only vehicle.

You're not reading carefully.

Once again:

The first statement said "all radar-equipped Tesla cars will eventually join the radarless group to become Pure Vision/Radarless only". That's not true.

I pointed out that multiple knowledgeable experts have stated, repeatedly, that the radar units in radar-equipped Tesla vehicles are still used for *at least* three functions, and I specifically listed what those three functions are (Forward Collision Warning, Automatic Emergency Braking, cruise control distances, etc.).

Based on what these firmware decompiling experts have said, my statement definitely applies to "non-FSD" radar-equipped vehicles.

Moreover, there is some data to indicate even radar-equipped models that *with* FSD may still be using it for the same three functions when "FSD" is not active.

The second statement asserts that radar will definitely be turned off in *all* vehicles in the future, with the presence of FSD subscriptions playing some role in the priority of which vehicles get it turned off. There is significant evidence that is not true at all, among them being the fact that multiple Tesla Service Center managers have said they have specific instructions to continue to service and replace radar units in all radar-equipped vehicles in perpetuity. If they were turning off radar and never using it in vehicles with the units, they would likely stop replacing them and put in a connector plug or cheap "dummy" unit that reports itself as being fine, if only to avoid problem reports to the computer (and only until a firmware upgrade that stops even asking the radar if its alive could be pushed out.).

Also, at least one firmware expert on these forums has said that they *may* even be using radar for the three functions I list above *when* FSD is active, without highlighting it. This very last point is a little more uncertain, but it makes sense for a lot of other secondary reasons, including legal liability in the event of a forward collision, etc.

A larger point here that isn't being discussed is that tons of folks are pretty sure Tesla removed radar from new vehicles because of supply chain shortages and also to lower costs in the face of significantly increased competition. There's a lot of counter evidence that "pure vision" isn't better at all, but that's well-covered by many other threads on this site. ;^)

You're not reading carefully.

Once again:

The first statement said "all radar-equipped Tesla cars will eventually join the radarless group to become Pure Vision/Radarless only". That's not true.

I pointed out that multiple knowledgeable experts have stated, repeatedly, that the radar units in radar-equipped Tesla vehicles are still used for *at least* three functions, and I specifically listed what those three functions are (Forward Collision Warning, Automatic Emergency Braking, cruise control distances, etc.).

Based on what these firmware decompiling experts have said, my statement definitely applies to "non-FSD" radar-equipped vehicles.

Moreover, there is some data to indicate even radar-equipped models that *with* FSD may still be using it for the same three functions when "FSD" is not active.

The second statement asserts that radar will definitely be turned off in *all* vehicles in the future, with the presence of FSD subscriptions playing some role in the priority of which vehicles get it turned off. There is significant evidence that is not true at all, among them being the fact that multiple Tesla Service Center managers have said they have specific instructions to continue to service and replace radar units in all radar-equipped vehicles in perpetuity. If they were turning off radar and never using it in vehicles with the units, they would likely stop replacing them and put in a connector plug or cheap "dummy" unit that reports itself as being fine, if only to avoid problem reports to the computer (and only until a firmware upgrade that stops even asking the radar if its alive could be pushed out.).

Also, at least one firmware expert on these forums has said that they *may* even be using radar for the three functions I list above *when* FSD is active, without highlighting it. This very last point is a little more uncertain, but it makes sense for a lot of other secondary reasons, including legal liability in the event of a forward collision, etc.

A larger point here that isn't being discussed is that tons of folks are pretty sure Tesla removed radar from new vehicles because of supply chain shortages and also to lower costs in the face of significantly increased competition. There's a lot of counter evidence that "pure vision" isn't better at all, but that's well-covered by many other threads on this site. ;^)

When you say "FSD" are you referring to "FSD" or "FSD beta?" Currently these are two very different code bases.

For example, people who bought or subscribed to FSD have "FSD", but the subset of those people who got into the beta program via high safety score have "FSD beta."

Are you getting your source from greentheonly on twitter? can you post a link(s)?

There is no denying that it IS PRESENTLY STILL using radar.

It's the FUTURE in Tesla that hates sensor fusion, radar, and lidar that will make sure to get rid of them in a foreseeable future.

It's not a matter of will or won't but it's when.
Highly depends. I doubt SEC is going to ignore the whole Twitter debacle and Elon's meltdown/midlife crisis/whatever it is that's going on with him. There's a good chance he may be removed off Tesla permanently, and whoever steps up to take over may not share the radarless vision.

I can only hope so too. Removing the radar was by far one of the worst decisions ever made.

Pure vision just doesn't work, and it's a pipe dream for anyone who still believes it can deliver FSD. Forget not being able to use FSD Beta in fog or heavy rain. I can't even go a single sunny day without getting the blinded camera warnings (yes they are clean). How is something like that supposed to function on a day to day basis driving itself, let alone avoid potholes, speed bumps, and other road debris.

Last edited:

It clearly says EVENTUALLY.

Now I agree that it's speculation that all HW3 Tesla cars will eventually join the radarless group to become Pure Vision/Radarless only. But, it's also speculation to say they never will.

They're not at parity right now so it makes sense for Tesla to keep them separate. But, why would they keep two code bases? It simply doesn't make much logical sense to continue to support the radar if all HW3 vehicles have the cameras and the processing available for Pure Vision.

It clearly says EVENTUALLY.

Now I agree that it's speculation that all HW3 Tesla cars will eventually join the radarless group to become Pure Vision/Radarless only. But, it's also speculation to say they never will.

They're not at parity right now so it makes sense for Tesla to keep them separate. But, why would they keep two code bases? It simply doesn't make much logical sense to continue to support the radar if all HW3 vehicles have the cameras and the processing available for Pure Vision.
It clearly *SPECULATES* eventually, as you yourself agree it's pure speculation. It's not based on anything concrete Tesla has said. And since Elon Musk disbanded his entire Press, Communications, and Public Relations departments, who the heck knows what they really plan?

In the meantime, here's an interesting Tweet from TMC's own @verygreen making his continued case (which I agree with, based on what Tesla Service Center managers tell me) that radar is actually still used in Tesla vehicles that are radar equipped, even in the latest versions of the firmware, including FSD:

It clearly *SPECULATES* eventually, as you yourself agree it's pure speculation. It's not based on anything concrete Tesla has said. And since Elon Musk disbanded his entire Press, Communications, and Public Relations departments, who the heck knows what they really plan?

In the meantime, here's an interesting Tweet from TMC's own @verygreen making his continued case (which I agree with, based on what Tesla Service Center managers tell me) that radar is actually still used in Tesla vehicles that are radar equipped, even in the latest versions of the firmware, including FSD:

In that thread you'll see my comments as well.

It's obviously still needed, but we don't know HOW its being used.

We just know that on vehicles with the Radar that you can't yank it out.

There has been a significant change since then. That change has been the introduction of a possible new Radar so I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there wasn't a planned upgrade to Radar where all FSD cars would be upgraded.

Now that might be bad speculation especially if it physically doesn't fit. :)

Does the nearby cars visualization on the Model S instrument cluster use radar at all or is it based on cameras only? I feel like it's gotten worse recently on my Model S Refresh (with radar hardware, 2022.16.3 firmware). But it's possible it was a software regression or I'm imagining it (it always was a little finicky).