Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radio available for MCU upgrades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is my understanding that the XM retrofit only works for cars that originally had XM. From Tesla’s infotainment upgrade info page:
View attachment 625510
That was also my understanding also but apparently, I have an XM radio with a serial number that XM recognizes when I called them but it does not work. I assume because there is no antenna? XM told me I had to sign up and pay to get the preview to work but that does not seem to be correct so I have been hesitant to sign up.

So I still wonder if they put the correct MCU2 in my car or they put one with the XM radio that they should not have used?

I just got my MCU2 and Radio tuner upgrade for my AP2.0 upgraded to Ap3.0 X installed today. I did not have the premium sound originally and did not have XM radio. The car now shows XM radio in the infotainment but it is not functional. I am trying to determine if maybe I had the XM antenna and radio and it was not turned on or did Tesla install the wrong Infotainment unit in my car?

The XM preview does not work? Should that work even without a subscription?
As a follow up I am attaching the MCU2 part number that Tesla installed and the XM radio code that XM recognizes as a valid radio. Can anyone tell me the part number for a Model X that does not have an XM radio installed from the factory? Which is what I think they should have installed in my car.
PXL_20210108_163231819.jpg
PXL_20210108_163349754.jpg

I did not because it’s useless for me. Imo it would’ve been a way better value for $250 because they give you the option to do the MCU2 upgrade for 2250 if you don’t want to replace the screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
When we scheduled our infotainment upgrade for November, that was still an option.

We had a delay in getting the upgrade due to backorder on the radio module - and just had the upgrade done last week - and chose to get the new display.

As a follow up I am attaching the MCU2 part number that Tesla installed and the XM radio code that XM recognizes as a valid radio. Can anyone tell me the part number for a Model X that does not have an XM radio installed from the factory? Which is what I think they should have installed in my car.View attachment 625639 View attachment 625640

given that your screenshot shows a “Premium” tuner module being installed, I’d assume that’s where the XM tuner is coming from.

I’d guess you just got half an upgrade to Premium Audio — got the tuner but no antenna. Wonder if one could be scabbed in .... ?

Just had MCU2 upgraded along with the radio on my 2016 Model S. My car has a sunroof, but not premium audio, so it never had XM. They installed the MODEL S TUNER UPGRADE KIT - NA BASE, and now I have XM displaying, but there is no audio on the preview channel, and was not able to get the subscription working. I'm wondering how it is even showing up at all without the premium tuner, and if it's possible to get it to work.

They installed the MODEL S TUNER UPGRADE KIT - NA BASE, and now I have XM displaying, but there is no audio on the preview channel, and was not able to get the subscription working. I'm wondering how it is even showing up at all without the premium tuner, and if it's possible to get it to work.

They probably install the same tuner for everyone. So you probably have the XM tuner now, but you don't have the antenna, so it isn't likely you can get it to work.