Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radio static-like cutting in and out.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The radio in my Tesla Model S…2019, used to work fine. In the last month it has begun rapidly cutting in and out making it sound very “staticky”. It is worst when the car is on. There is minimal disruption when car is off. Any suggestions as to what is going on, and better yet how to fix it?

Same issue on my MS.. Took it to SC got same wait for new FW release answer. What I do not understand is why are they not able to roll back buggy software to allow for a better experience. Also a complete lack of transparency on when the fix will be released is beyond unreasonable. This is an equivalent of you taking non Tesla to a dealer for a service, they break something in a process and tell you we dont have a fix and we dont know when it will be available. Horrible customer service and very frustrating.

Upvote 0
Same issue on my MS.. Took it to SC got same wait for new FW release answer. What I do not understand is why are they not able to roll back buggy software to allow for a better experience. Also a complete lack of transparency on when the fix will be released is beyond unreasonable. This is an equivalent of you taking non Tesla to a dealer for a service, they break something in a process and tell you we dont have a fix and we dont know when it will be available. Horrible customer service and very frustrating.
Agreed but my service and tech experience was great. The rear cupholder wouldn't stay retracted and had to be replaced. He arrived at 9 am for a 9-12 window was done in 20 minutes and spent some time checking other stuff out and was just a great experience all around. Couldn't be happier.

• Disagree
Reactions: The Long C_0_N
Upvote 0
Agreed but my service and tech experience was great. The rear cupholder wouldn't stay retracted and had to be replaced. He arrived at 9 am for a 9-12 window was done in 20 minutes and spent some time checking other stuff out and was just a great experience all around. Couldn't be happier.
Good to hear, but I am referring to software related issues that no one seems to know answers nor timelines for remediation. AND can not roll anything back to fix flaw in the newly released software. At the end of the day, this impacts customer experience.

Upvote 0
this still isn't fixed. i got 2023.20.4.1 yesterday, and it's still happening (and has been for a while now).

the update mentioned made it a little better, for a time...but in true tesla fashion, it has gotten worse again with subsquent updates. occasionally it gets better, for a few minutes, then goes back to being bad again.

Upvote 0
Just paid $500 for the radio upgrade for my Signature (2012) S. Crackling radio issue noted from the get-go.
Same here, infotainment and radio upgrade ($2000+) on my 2013 S resulted in horrible static on SXM and FM. My service center didn’t even know about this problem so they changed the FM tuner again. But by the end of that day they had learned about the problem and said it would be fixed with a FW update.
WORSE: meanwhile, as a result of taking my dash apart and back together, they dented my metal trim in 2 places and could not get the leather top of the dash back on properly! My husband can put his fingers between the dash top and bottom because the gap is so large over the glove compartment... And they gave it back to me this way!!! I keep my car pristine and what, they thought I wouldn’t notice??? I have never been so angry at Tesla service and am pretty sure my plans for another Tesla after this one have ended For good. Disgusted.

Attachments

• IMG_4747.jpeg
    IMG_4747.jpeg
    395.6 KB · Views: 496
  • IMG_4743.jpeg
    IMG_4743.jpeg
    466.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4740.jpeg
    IMG_4740.jpeg
    472.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Informative
Reactions: DerbyDave
Upvote 0
That is hood to hear and you are fortunate. My SC is run by rude, incompetent, mysogynistic (and apparently destructive), dummies. I know that’s harsh but you wouldn’t believe how disappointed I am and actually afraid to ever take it back there. I’m considering driving 90 minutes to/from a different SC for the next service.

Upvote 0
I am relatively new to this issue. Upgraded my 2016 Mode S to MCU about a month I did not even get home from the service center when i noticed the issue, complained and considered revereting back. I got a software update last night and XM is now functioning properly. - no clipping, scratching on the volume adjustment, tone adjustement or just listening.

Upvote 0
i still haven't had the scratchy audio return since getting 2023.26.7, but i've been down this road before where it has been better for a while and then gone back to worse than ever (either after another update or even sometimes on the same version).

i was hoping this update might be an improvement since they did a bunch of audio stuff (split recents/favorites, spotify refresh, etc), but i'll believe this is fixed when it never returns. that being said, for now, the early returns seem promising (knock on wood).

Upvote 0
i still haven't had the scratchy audio return since getting 2023.26.7, but i've been down this road before where it has been better for a while and then gone back to worse than ever (either after another update or even sometimes on the same version).

i was hoping this update might be an improvement since they did a bunch of audio stuff (split recents/favorites, spotify refresh, etc), but i'll believe this is fixed when it never returns. that being said, for now, the early returns seem promising (knock on wood).
My car got 2023.26.7 last night. For the first time in 6 months, my audio no longer has the distortion that I hated so much.

Question: How can I opt out of future updates?

• Funny
Reactions: crackers8199
Upvote 0