Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raise your hand if you feel forgotten on the trunk camera harness recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I view it as both delivery and installation fee.
Considering they came to do the rear harness recall, I don't consider the fee part of delivery. These batteries are known to fail early, so that's not my fault and Tesla never addressed it with their supplier. This is why they changed to the Lithium Ion battery. But again, I refuse to pay $28 to install a battery that takes less than 5 minutes to do. That saved $28 will pay for some Supercharging on my next long drive.

Had a taillight replaced for moisture intrusion and they did the harness recall at the same time. I think all I needed was a grommet.
My taillights were replaced for the same thing a 4 years ago, but they still got moisture in them because it was another supplier issue with them. I remember many tried to say it was normal, yet someone discovered that it wasn't because the housings were leaking when submerged in water and they shouldn't leak.

Reactions: Massive Attack
It takes less than 5 minutes to replace a battery, even in a Tesla. They wanted $28 for labor, for 5 minutes work, so yeah no way I was going to pay that. Not like it would break my back lifting such a tiny battery.
Doesn't that amount also include carting away the battery? (If you do it yourself, you still have to dispose of the old battery....)

Reactions: DocHolliday
Doesn't that amount also include carting away the battery? (If you do it yourself, you still have to dispose of the old battery....)
I'm sure the tech would have taken my old battery, had I changed it while he was here. But I'm not going to change it until I get a notification in my car. It should be soon though, as my car is 4 and a half years old now. I might put the new battery on a battery maintainer, to keep it in good shape should the battery in the car last longer than expected. Any auto parts store or even Costco will take the old battery because they make money off them from the recycler.

I'm sure the tech would have taken my old battery, had I changed it while he was here. But I'm not going to change it until I get a notification in my car. It should be soon though, as my car is 4 and a half years old now. I might put the new battery on a battery maintainer, to keep it in good shape should the battery in the car last longer than expected. Any auto parts store or even Costco will take the old battery because they make money off them from the recycler.
Yes, of course, but your "five minutes" is really not 5 minutes. My point was that you have to factor in the trip to the store to recycle the battery in addition to the time to change it as well as the space for storage. Now, you may have 'more time than money' as my dad used to say, but '$28 for five minutes' of work is the incorrect analysis.

Yes, of course, but your "five minutes" is really not 5 minutes. My point was that you have to factor in the trip to the store to recycle the battery in addition to the time to change it as well as the space for storage. Now, you may have 'more time than money' as my dad used to say, but '$28 for five minutes' of work is the incorrect analysis.
Yeah: my time is very valuable. I will gladly pay for someone else to do something if it means I have more time for other things.

I am perfectly capable of changing the oil in my wife's ice bucket, but I pay someone else to do it as I don't have the time to spend doing it (getting oil and filter, getting the car and the tools ready, draining the oil, changing the filter, putting in the new oil, putting everything away and cleaning up, finding a place to recycle the oil).

Reactions: fholbert
It would actually be less than 5 minutes if I take the old battery with me to drop off when I make a Costco run. That saved $28 will get me an extra case of beer at Costco.

My taillights were replaced for the same thing a 4 years ago, but they still got moisture in them because it was another supplier issue with them. I remember many tried to say it was normal, yet someone discovered that it wasn't because the housings were leaking when submerged in water and they shouldn't leak.
Hopefully the new one doesn't leak, but if that's the only issue I face in the next few years, I can live with that.

Hopefully the new one doesn't leak, but if that's the only issue I face in the next few years, I can live with that.
My replacements still leaked, I guess it was old inventory from their supplier before anything was brought to their attention to correct. Unfortunately I never made it back to a service center to see if they would replace the again before my warranty ran out, even though it should be considered a pre-existing condition. Good thing my area doesn't get much rain normally during the year.

I saw the ability to schedule the appt. show up in the app earlier in the week, so I grabbed an appt.. rover came to home and asked if I had had any problems with the camera and looked at the harness. I had not. Then, offered me the option to NOT have it done as it requires a full breakdown of the trunk lid, to get to obviously the camera, etc... I chose to just leave it as is. Nothing seems amiss and quite frankly, having a repair like that done could just introduce issues that weren't there before.

It's still a recall warranty item, even though the warranty has run out and noted in the account.

I saw the ability to schedule the appt. show up in the app earlier in the week, so I grabbed an appt.. rover came to home and asked if I had had any problems with the camera and looked at the harness. I had not. Then, offered me the option to NOT have it done as it requires a full breakdown of the trunk lid, to get to obviously the camera, etc... I chose to just leave it as is. Nothing seems amiss and quite frankly, having a repair like that done could just introduce issues that weren't there before.

It's still a recall warranty item, even though the warranty has run out and noted in the account.
So is your car now counted as recall complete?

Did the mobile tech install a cable chain ("hinge support") to protect the cable from sharp bending? They did for my car, as expected from TMC threads.

Ticket is now closed and it still shows the Harness as a recall item.

No, they didn’t install a clip or other item - wish I knew that was a thing, but frankly I had intended to have the cable harness installed until they brought up that it wasn’t really an issue and what the needed effort would be.
I asked the ranger about it when they were out to put in a new 12v on my Model S. He went on and on about the harness not really being needed and wasn't really a recall. I guess they train them well.