Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raleigh, NC waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a heads up for Raleigh and Charlotte waiters... I had an appointment to pick my car up 9/22 in Charlotte and got an e-mail today saying I was set up for home delivery now. When I questioned it, here's what I got:

I understand the confusion here now that I’ve been able to look deeper. Right now NC with Charlotte and Raleigh are moving over to Direct Ships.

I work directly with the Charlotte and Raleigh delivery centers very closely and we’ve found that with some of the logistical issues that have been occurring that this would be the best way to get you your vehicle.
I just received a similar email from Andrew in Vegas that I would be receiving a home delivery. Not a lot of details other than they would need to receive payment in full prior to shipping the vehicle. He will be reaching out once the vehicle is closer to NC.

I like the idea of home delivery versus driving 150 miles to Raleigh. I have similar questions about paying in full prior to seeing and inspecting the vehicle? How will the vehicle be shipped? Will a Tesla DA accompany the vehicle?
New member, first post! Same
Just a heads up for Raleigh and Charlotte waiters... I had an appointment to pick my car up 9/22 in Charlotte and got an e-mail today saying I was set up for home delivery now. When I questioned it, here's what I got:

I understand the confusion here now that I’ve been able to look deeper. Right now NC with Charlotte and Raleigh are moving over to Direct Ships.

I work directly with the Charlotte and Raleigh delivery centers very closely and we’ve found that with some of the logistical issues that have been occurring that this would be the best way to get you your vehicle.
First post - same here, received email today that my 9/27 delivery would be cancelled and would be contacted to arrange home delivery.

Reactions: jdcollins5
... and my third delivery date was cancelled on Wednesday due to Hurricane Florence. No new date yet and the car is still in Charlotte. BTW, I live about 15 minutes from the Tesla Raleigh office. They said a Tesla associate will drive the car to either my house or job in Cary.

6/27/2018 - Reservation made
6/30/2018 - Configuration made
7/27/2018 - ISA calls for the first time. Says car is in transit to Birmingham, AL. Confirms VIN.
7/31/2018 - Car is in transit to Charlotte.
8/07/2018 - Car is in Charlotte, and Raleigh delivery set date on 8/20.
8/17/2018 - ISA cancelled the delivery date.
8/21/2018 - ISA sets second date for 8/29.
8/28/2018 - ISA cancelled the second date.
9/06/2018 - ISA sets third date for 9/13 (home delivery).
9/12/2018 - Third date cancelled due to Hurricane Florence.

Last edited:
I looked at my Tesla account and in big letters, “Please pay off your remaining balance prior to delivery”. It is all set up for me to pay for my car.

I do not have a delivery date yet. I do not know where my car is other than en route to NC. I have not talked to anyone about delivery yet, just emails from Vegas. Hurricane Florence is still dumping rain.

I guess Tesla will be doing this to all that have been notified of September deliveries.

I looked at my Tesla account and in big letters, “Please pay off your remaining balance prior to delivery”....
I guess Tesla will be doing this to all that have been notified of September deliveries.

The same happened with my account. Haven't heard anything about a new delivery date (was initially told 9/10), VIN dropped from my account (but still in MVPA), and I have the big letters asking me to pay off my balance.

I'm hoping this is going to be a big week for Tesla in NC.

I just received an email that my 9/18 delivery was being cancelled. I logged into my account and noted that the VIN had been removed. I'm quite frustrated as I've already made full payment (on Friday, thinking Tuesday delivery) and now I only show delivery between September and November '18. Have others seen their VIN disappear?

I just received an email that my 9/18 delivery was being cancelled. I logged into my account and noted that the VIN had been removed. I'm quite frustrated as I've already made full payment (on Friday, thinking Tuesday delivery) and now I only show delivery between September and November '18. Have others seen their VIN disappear?
That is normal. My 9/15 delivery was canceled, and both VIN and date disappeared. My MVPA is still there though with the original VIN.

I looked at my Tesla account and in big letters, “Please pay off your remaining balance prior to delivery”. It is all set up for me to pay for my car.

I do not have a delivery date yet. I do not know where my car is other than en route to NC. I have not talked to anyone about delivery yet, just emails from Vegas. Hurricane Florence is still dumping rain.

Mine has been at late September for 6 weeks now .. and nothing but crickets - I hope it’s en route somewhere somehow

As an update, I stopped into the sales office today and, unfortunately, the North Carolina delivery situation is a big mess. Apparently someone looking to make quarter end, inserted themselves into my process and set a delivery appointment without understanding that no deliveries are taking place at the sales office or service center anymore in NC. Everything will be home/office delivery, without any concrete plans as to how that will occur.

My car is in Alabama as apparently all shipments from Alabama to NC were halted because of Florence. It will go from AL to CLT once that halt is lifted, but no estimate as to when it will make its way to the Triangle for home delivery. Mike was apologetic, but did not have any definitive answers. I actually left feeling bad for the guy being stuck in the middle of the whole mess.

@Skibum81 Thanks for the update. I still have not heard anything about my delivery scheduled for Friday. Originally, I was told I could pick up tomorrow as well, but that date would not work for me. I guess I will receive that cancellation email on 9/20... It seems Tesla would understand they should provide more then 24h notice on cancellations

@Skibum81 Thanks for the update. I still have not heard anything about my delivery scheduled for Friday. Originally, I was told I could pick up tomorrow as well, but that date would not work for me. I guess I will receive that cancellation email on 9/20... It seems Tesla would understand they should provide more then 24h notice on cancellations
I would expect a cancellation to be forthcoming as he indicated he had a bunch more to cancel. Essentially if it's not already in Raleigh, it would not be coming to the Sales/Service locations. My biggest issue (aside from disappointment) was that I had paid in full and didn't like the idea of Tesla holding a significant payment without any transparency. I'd give them a call before completing any wires/ACH if you have a delivery scheduled in Raleigh.

@Skibum81 My wife called the Raleigh office and they mentioned that appointments were staying on the online calendar for the service center, but most are being converted to home delivery as you stated. He also said my car was literally on the truck between Birmingham and Charlotte. It seems Friday delivery is still possible, but not necessarily probable.

For those of us taking home delivery, we should be also asking about the two day full refund policy if you don’t want the car. I understand that this policy is in effect only for home deliveries:

“As a reminder, you can easily buy a Tesla online without visiting a store or doing a test drive, and have it delivered directly to your home or work. We are highly confident that you will feel great about your purchase, which is why you can always return it within two days for a full refund.”

For those of us taking home delivery, we should be also asking about the two day full refund policy if you don’t want the car. I understand that this policy is in effect only for home deliveries:

“As a reminder, you can easily buy a Tesla online without visiting a store or doing a test drive, and have it delivered directly to your home or work. We are highly confident that you will feel great about your purchase, which is why you can always return it within two days for a full refund.”

I was also told that you can decline to accept the car if it is not up to your standards.

I was also told that you can decline to accept the car if it is not up to your standards.

I was told "home" delivery is really to whatever address you want....(like if you'd rather they delivery to work or something)

I'm seriously thinking of giving him the address of the Raleigh service center- so if there's any minor issues not worth rejecting the car I'm already there for them to be fixed.

Plus, it's right next door to TVP where the car was going after pickup for PPF anyway.