Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

random chitchat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is that they're cutting costs everywhere because showing profitability helps them grow faster.
So why so many people disagree that a smart business thing to do would be to adjust Model 3 prices to equalize demand with production capacity and maximize profit? 2 possible reasons come to mind: 1) they just want cheap stuff over Tesla profitability, 2) they don't really think demand outpaces production

• Disagree
Reactions: JRP3 and MP3Mike
@MP3Mike , I see you going click-happy with disagrees on my posts, care to formulate a meaningful response of why you disagree that Tesla should adjust Model 3 prices to match demand and maximize profit? I am curious.

Maybe because they shouldn't be greedy. Or maybe because they said that the base Model 3 SR, that is now off-menu, would sell for $35k. Or maybe because their goal is to "accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy." And in the process of doing that they shouldn't penalize early adopters. Or maybe because the press would slaughter them for doing it.

Maybe because they shouldn't be greedy. Or maybe because they said that the base Model 3 SR, that is now off-menu, would sell for $35k. Or maybe because their goal is to "accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy." And in the process of doing that they shouldn't penalize early adopters. Or maybe because the press would slaughter them for doing it.
Making profit would definitely give them more resources to accelerate word's transition to sustainable transport (maybe build more factories to meet the large demand people claim they cannot meet today). Raising prices would not penalize early adopters, it would actually reward them by raising their used car values. As for their promise of $35K car, well, Elon made a lot of promises he never kept, one more is not going to hurt his credibility any.

So why so many people disagree that a smart business thing to do would be to adjust Model 3 prices to equalize demand with production capacity and maximize profit? 2 possible reasons come to mind: 1) they just want cheap stuff over Tesla profitability, 2) they don't really think demand outpaces production
Because the normal business thing to do is to maximize profit, which Tesla doesn't want to do because they want to build as many EVs+PVs+Storage as possible. Tesla needs to make enough profit to show their business model is viable to wall street for investment, but they don't want to maximize profit because that would limit EVs+PVs+Storage.

No, they should keep trying to increase production, obviously.
And that usually requires investment in factories, machinery, worker training, etc - in other words "money", which they can either get from profit, borrowing, or raising more money. Profit is preferable from business standpoint, hence my point about maximizing profit to bring in money to expand production is the best course of action, ASSUMING that in fact demand significantly outstrips production and is expected to at least stay at that level (or else builing new factory makes no sense).

Because the normal business thing to do is to maximize profit, which Tesla doesn't want to do because they want to build as many EVs+PVs+Storage as possible. Tesla needs to make enough profit to show their business model is viable to wall street for investment, but they don't want to maximize profit because that would limit EVs+PVs+Storage.
In the real world money is needed to expand production capacity, and money comes from profit, unless you think there is some Tesla charity out there which will fund the production expansion (obviously the money is not coming from investors if profit is not a goal, investors only invest in things expected to bring a return).

In the real world money is needed to expand production capacity, and money comes from profit, unless you think there is some Tesla charity out there which will fund the production expansion (obviously the money is not coming from investors if profit is not a goal, investors only invest in things expected to bring a return).
Money can come from profit, but with that structure you only grow as fast as your profit. If a company gets money from the market, they can grow faster even if they don't initially turn out profits, which is what Tesla and many other companies do. Profit is the ultimate goal, but the idea with growth companies is that investors are trading periodic profit in the near future for larger, less frequent gains in the distant future, with a corresponding increase in volatility and possibly risk.

Money can come from profit, but with that structure you only grow as fast as your profit. If a company gets money from the market, they can grow faster even if they don't initially turn out profits, which is what Tesla and many other companies do. Profit is the ultimate goal, but the idea with growth companies is that investors are trading periodic profit in the near future for larger, less frequent gains in the distant future, with a corresponding increase in volatility and possibly risk.
The higher the risk, the higher the expected reward. Investors are, well, investing, meaning they need to make a return. Market is not a charity funding acceleration to sustainable transportation. If Tesla wants to break even in order to bring as many EV's into this world as possible, they will have to do it from profit alone, as no investor will give them any money.

Btw, raising prices on Model 3 now would bring money now, and balance demand with supply. As that profit is spent expanding production, prices can be lowered again to match demand with supply.

The higher the risk, the higher the expected reward. Investors are, well, investing, meaning they need to make a return. Market is not a charity funding acceleration to sustainable transportation. If Tesla wants to break even in order to bring as many EV's into this world as possible, they will have to do it from profit alone, as no investor will give them any money.

Btw, raising prices on Model 3 now would bring money now, and balance demand with supply. As that profit is spent expanding production, prices can be lowered again to match demand with supply.
Investors have already given them a lot of money, and I imagine they could raise more if they wanted to. With the amount of cash they have at this point, they can expand without raising prices to maximize profit.

Investors have already given them a lot of money, and I imagine they could raise more if they wanted to. With the amount of cash they have at this point, they can expand without raising prices to maximize profit.
Whatever production expansion rate they can afford now, they can expand faster (build more factories) if they had more profit. They could also afford to expand parts and service which they need already.

I would be asking myself why my plaid is worth $165K when there are inventory vehicles available directly from Tesla at retail.

Sounds like you thought you were going to flip this for a profit, and those days are over.
Sounds like you are making assumptions that are incorrect. I paid for the car, tax, private delivery, and tinting and home charger and charger wiring. Just trying to get most of my money back.

Who knows. Maybe I’ll get an offer or nothing or I won’t sell it at all.

I appreciate your concern but calling me a flipper doesn’t help.

Sounds like you are making assumptions that are incorrect. I paid for the car, tax, private delivery, and tinting and home charger and charger wiring. Just trying to get most of my money back.

Who knows. Maybe I’ll get an offer or nothing or I won’t sell it at all.

I appreciate your concern but calling me a flipper doesn’t help.
I guess I don’t understand what you’re trying to accomplish then.

You want someone else to pay for your new car, tint, and reg + taxes? Why on earth would anyone do that when they can just buy direct from Tesla for less?

I guess I don’t understand what you’re trying to accomplish then.

You want someone else to pay for your new car, tint, and reg + taxes? Why on earth would anyone do that when they can just buy direct from Tesla for less?
Well it’s a good thing that I don’t care and it doesn’t matter at all if you understand. Nobody asked you for your opinion or comments.

Is this all you do is sit on your computer and go back and forth about a car that you aren’t going to buy? It sure seems like it from the amount of comments that you have. womp womp. That’s sad. 🙁

Go outside and drive your car around and leave me alone. I don’t want your advice or comments.

Well it’s a good thing that I don’t care and it doesn’t matter at all if you understand. Nobody asked you for your opinion or comments.

Is this all you do is sit on your computer and go back and forth about a car that you aren’t going to buy? It sure seems like it from the amount of comments that you have. womp womp. That’s sad. 🙁

Go outside and drive your car around and leave me alone. I don’t want your advice or comments.
On the flip side of that coin, no one wants you to try and flip your car here. Parasites who join the forums to make a buck usually don’t stick around long.

This is a public forum, so expect comments on what you post. Especially if it’s something this ludicrous (pun intended).

Try taking it to eBay and you’ll see what it’s really worth.

On the flip side of that coin, no one wants you to try and flip your car here. Parasites who join the forums to make a buck usually don’t stick around long.

This is a public forum, so expect comments on what you post. Especially if it’s something this ludicrous (pun intended).

Try taking it to eBay and you’ll see what it’s really worth.
Like I said. I waited for a long time and then the car arrived when I don’t need it so I registered on a Tesla forum to try and sell it.

If I was trying to flip I would ask a lot more than what i did.

I’ve never listed a car for sale before, especially one like this, so maybe I was off with a price.

I don’t need to flip cars for money and I certainly don’t troll the internet to try and intimidate people with my vast knowledge of Tesla message boards.

Constructive criticism and help is always nice to receive but shitty comments isn’t. Go find another post to make shitty comments on to add to your comment score and leave me alone. (I know you won’t because people like you always want the last word and to add to your comment score so go ahead and make your last shitty comment and I will ignore it just for you). You special boy.

You are welcome. Go ahead and make your clever comment now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.