Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Model S sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think $95,000 is not a bad deal for a signature red with only 1,400 miles. That car is as good as new. Owner has paid the 8.5% sales tax already, so the effective discount is $12,500.

Of course whomever buys it will miss out on the federal tax credit and the California rebate.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm forgetting how the "Signature Tax" played out, but I think between amnesia and daily therapy, my wallet has mostly forget about that particular screw job. So the discount, to me, doesn't seem that worthwhile. Since, to me, the benefits of the signature tax so far have been negligible at best.

I think $95,000 is not a bad deal for a signature red with only 1,400 miles. That car is as good as new. Owner has paid the 8.5% sales tax already, so the effective discount is $12,500.

Nope; the buyer would have to pay good old CA DMV, sales tax on the $95,000.

The house always wins!

Vehicle Registration and Title Information

What to do when purchasing a car from a private party?

If you have purchased a vehicle registered in California, you will need to transfer the ownership within 10 days from the date of purchase. You will need to do and/or have the following:

. Pay the use tax, if applicable.
Use tax is calculated based on the sales tax rate in your residence county.

Nope; the buyer would have to pay good old CA DMV, sales tax on the $95,000.

The house always wins!

Vehicle Registration and Title Information

@gg_got_a_tesla - are you sure the second buyer would pay sales tax? Isn't the concept of "use tax" is that if one brings a non-calfornia car into CA they must pay the equivalent of the sales tax amount because it was was not yet taxed. If this is a CA car (can't tell) then a private sale shouldn't require tax to be paid.

Also I believe if it was purchased in another state that had sales tax paid the CA use tax would only be the difference (if any).

I could be wrong, I don't live in CA....

Yes, Steve, pretty sure that the buyer of a used car is on the hook to pay sales tax on the car. I've never bought a used car myself but, did sell to a private party once. As a seller, one'd have to fill this transfer and release of liability form and send it in

http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg138.pdf

with the selling price filled in. The buyer is expected to pay the sales tax on this price and get the car registered in their name.

Another one spotted on the East. Brown one.

brownspotted.jpg

OK, this is the random thread, right? I swear I did not set this up... I was backing up in towards a charger in a parking garage when I looked over at the backup camera and saw... TESLA:

Skärmavbild 2013-04-15 kl. 21.52.10.png

The sun hit the chrome on the trunk just right and projected a mirror image on the pole in the garage. The camera mirrors it a second time and I get this. Too funny, too random not to share.

Saw a whole gaggle of Tesla's on my way home from the gym this evening in Bellevue WA. By far the most in the span of 10 minutes. At around 6pm a white S with 19's (turning left off of Eastbound Bel-Red onto 132nd Ave NE). Then, 10 minutes later a silver S with gray 21's heading North on Richards Rd. just under I-90. Then 2 blocks further a white Roadster with black wheels followed me into the Factoria (Bellevue, WA) mall parking lot.

Great to see so many out and about!

Cheers!

Two sightings to report:

1) Last Thursday(ish), a whole semi-truck carrier full of Model Esses (plural?)... 9 of em or so heading north on I495 in VA heading in to MD. Assuming they were aiming for the Rockvlle service center... so I assume that's the route mine will be taking in a few weeks. :)

2) This morning at 8:30am eastbound 267 Toll Rd. in VA. Blue Model S driven by a female. No acknowledgement of my horn-beep in attempt to give a thumb-up... but admittedly I was across the lane barrier in the airport access lanes.