Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Model S sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driver was hotter than the car.

a2uzehy4.jpg

That is quite a low key introduction, James. You seems to live in the best neighborhood to have the Model S :)...

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the compliment.

When I moved to Atherton in 2009, I first noticed how many Priuses where there. Then it hit me - Priuses are really economical and nice cars to get around. I mean, these guys need to be pretty smart to make enough money to get homes around here. I live on the part of Atherton that has lower-priced homes. Most of my neighbors are business owners and made money through the hard way. So they tend to be practical.

Fast forward four years, Model S'es started to pop up. They probably did their homework and decided Model S would fit their needs, just like the Prius did in the past.

I think as long as we notice the trend, we can make money. A good example would be the iPhone. It came out in 2007. As time went by, you would see more and more people with iPhones. Then Apple stock started to skyrocket. Now I notice more and more people move away from the iPhone, and have Samsung phones. If Apple does not get another product category soon, Apple is in trouble.

Coming back to Tesla, IMHO Tesla still has tons of room to grow. The luxury car market is pretty big. There are a lot of rich people out there that can buy $100,000 cars. I still see a lot of brand new Mercedes and BMWs around. I chuckle when I see them - their owners probably have not heard of Tesla. I had owned an M5 and an S55 AMG. I think my next car will definitely be a Tesla.

It's interesting you mentioned trying to get a job at Tesla. Me too! Didn't know about having to graduate from top colleges. Well, I didn't. That's probably why I did not hear from them, even though I went through a referral. Still, glad they only take candidates from the top colleges. By the way, I've heard they work you really, really hard. If you are ok with working more than 12 hours a day, then Tesla is probably a suitable place for you then. :)

One more thing, thank you for your contribution to this board. Your input is very much appreciated. I joined the TSLA train @ 109. Did not make the 100 fold like you, still happy nonetheless.

Keep up the good work, Kevin. One day after I get my Model S, perhaps I will see you in one of the Tesla owners' get togethers.

Cheers.

James.

Coming back to Tesla, IMHO Tesla still has tons of room to grow. The luxury car market is pretty big. There are a lot of rich people out there that can buy $100,000 cars. I still see a lot of brand new Mercedes and BMWs around. I chuckle when I see them - their owners probably have not heard of Tesla. I had owned an M5 and an S55 AMG. I think my next car will definitely be a Tesla.
hehe James. Would be nice to hear what your decision making process in term of when to get a Tesla as a owner of other luxury brand. Wait until your current car no longer as dependable? Model E? or a used Model S? These thoughts will help us understand how Tesla wins over the other luxury cars owners.

One more thing, thank you for your contribution to this board. Your input is very much appreciated. I joined the TSLA train @ 109. Did not make the 100 fold like you, still happy nonetheless.

Keep up the good work, Kevin. One day after I get my Model S, perhaps I will see you in one of the Tesla owners' get togethers.

Cheers.

James.
Oh one clarification, the 100 fold is my trading size, not the gain. My gain is about 10X. I started very modest, like many of us. But I have the strong conviction and guts to go bigger.

One ironic thing is we have many and many more Model S showing up in the bay area, the owners don't necessary care. I went to a meeting yesterday, and there were 3 Model S (including mine) out of the 10 cars parked there. Anyhow we will sure connect.

Last edited:
Hi Kevin,

My wife had sold her M5 a year ago. She is now trying to sell her Mercedes S55 AMG. Both cars are about 10 years old. So time to move on.

Right now she drives a Honda CRV, and I drive a Honda Insight.

As for our decision making process, it started with my wife making a deposit on the Model X about 6 months ago. She came home one day and showed me the key chain and the other things that she got for ordering a Model X. She likes to be up high, so she can see road conditions, hence a Model X.

I'd like a Model S myself. It is in my DNA not to buy a new car. I've never owned a new car in my life. So the plan now is to wait about three years, when the first set of Model Ses will be worth about 50% of the new value. Or it will be some time between now and then - pick up a second hand one somewhere. A friend picked up a second hand P85+ from Chicago for $102K, quite a bargain in my opinion.

By the way, that meeting you are referring to, is it some type of Electric Vehicle meeting?

Another thing is, when you say owners don't necessary care, care about what?

My next door neighbor has a Roadster. I don't think she particularly cares about the cost nor the environment. My neighbor across the street has a Model S, not sure what she thinks, but probably not about the cost nor the environment.

As for me, I was recently blessed with my first baby. I love him so much, and want leave this world a better place for him. For now I'm working on placing solar on my roof. Then eventually I'll get an electric car. My motive is indeed for the environment, and the fact that the Model S is the safest car in the world, I feel good having him in a Model S. This is not a knock on the Honda CRV, but the CRV is not the safest car in the world.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, James!

Haha I just turn on my Solar city service today, as I posted on another thread. It is also the investment research I do before becoming a SCTY investor. I did this with TSLA by owning the model S.

I went to a startup pitch meeting with an angel fund. I mean here in the bay area the owners are not as organized or closely connected like in other city. Atlanta in particular has a very well run Tesla owners group. I saw there was a party where well known jazz musicians performs, only tesla owners are invited! ( Actually others are invited as well but not as much, I guess :) ). Owning a Tesla seems to be a ticket to these 'high class' events.

Saw a new Model S this morning that i hadn't seen before, in the same spot as the regular black model s, but this one has plates so its not new so i dont know if its his or someone elses, it has one of those weird license plates too.... im assuming its a loaner or he swapped his black one for this... P85+ with grey interior looks amazing

null_zpseb35394e.jpg

I saw 3 different Model S on the same day last week in NYC (well technically two were in 495 getting in and out of the city). I still very rarely see any at all , but 3 in one day?? That's great! Here's two of them. I wasn't quick enough to catch the 3rd one which I think was a white P85 with grey 21s.

anasyja3.jpg

ehy6ysun.jpg

One of you guys posted a photo of a model s parked in vienna/austria. I went there last week and it was still stading there. I cant explain why.
I guess that was me.
And it appears this is where the Munich Tesla team meets with potential buyers in Vienna - Vienna doesn't have its own sales center, yet, so they drive the Munich car all the way to Vienna to talk to prospective customers :)