Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Observations of a new owner after 750 mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would only ever activate auto-lane change if I knew to the best of my own knowledge that the target lane was actually free - as you would have to if manually changing lanes. If for some reason I was dumb enough to miss a vehicle creeping up in my blind-spot (it does happen, however rarely) then at least AP has a chance to save me. But I would never try to prompt auto-lane change knowing full well that something was in the way.
That's the difference between you, and those who want to challenge & USE the AP we are all talking about. Just try it (that lane-change next to truck once), of course with hands on. You will be learning stuff.

A common use for me is on a multi-lane hwy while coming up on a truck, after looking all around, auto-lane change left around truck, then when next to truck, engage auto-lane change right. The car waits until pass is complete then does it safely.
I should probably have been a bit clearer.

I was thinking of overtaking on the right hand side, so the inverse of what you are describing.
So maybe a truck in the middle lane and you trying to get by, by auto lane change right.

That's the difference between you, and those who want to challenge & USE the AP we are all talking about. Just try it (that lane-change next to truck once), of course with hands on. You will be learning stuff.

I'm not ready for AP to make decisions like that for me! I'd rather rely on my own brain to decide when it's safe to change lanes. For me AP just makes it that little bit less effort and provides a second pair of eyes just in case I may have missed something. No way am I going to request a lane change when I already know something is in the way. I'd rather just request the lane change when I think it's safe and hopefully AP will confirm that and go ahead. For me there's too much at stake to rely totally on AP to make that call on its own.

Used to all the ricers here in LA. Just for advice: Show them who's boss. I had a guy in a BMW i8 next to me and I knew he wanted to race. Came up next to me like he thought he was awesome. I left him in dust. Thats what you have to do.
OK, story time. I was in my favourite hand car wash with my P85D. A new i8 pulled in behind me. The owner looked at mine and asked me "how quick is it really in the real world?"
We talked a bit, I had met this fellow a couple times before. So, I offered to give him a short drive. He tried Ludicrous. He looked at me and smiled a crooked smile. I week later he bought a P100D. I do not know whether he sold his i8 or not, but I haven't seen it since. This happened year ago or so, soon after P100D was introduced.

I'm in central VA. I don't think most people have seen an X around here. The local Tesla store just opened ~3 months ago. Maybe people are just too shy to say anything..
I live in the high desert in SoCal. I’m amazed at the number of comments I get when the car is just parked. Yesterday a granny was just staring at my Snowball and when I walked up asked me what brand of car it was--I said Tesla and she looked confused and asked me if it was a new company or foreign. Knew nothing about Teslas, but said, “Sure is pretty!”.. I have had several remark on its appearance--I’m surprised because it seems rather generic to me until I open the FWD.

I'm not ready for AP to make decisions like that for me! I'd rather rely on my own brain to decide when it's safe to change lanes. For me AP just makes it that little bit less effort and provides a second pair of eyes just in case I may have missed something. No way am I going to request a lane change when I already know something is in the way. I'd rather just request the lane change when I think it's safe and hopefully AP will confirm that and go ahead. For me there's too much at stake to rely totally on AP to make that call on its own.
I'm with you, but "hopefully AP will confirm" is something you could gain confidence in, of your cars sensors. The sooner you know it's working to avoid unclear lane change (even if only a few times), the better.

I'm with you, but "hopefully AP will confirm" is something you could gain confidence in, of your cars sensors. The sooner you know it's working to avoid unclear lane change (even if only a few times), the better.

Maybe I'll test it works with a small car in the next lane rather than a large truck, LOL! I know what you mean though, confirming it actually works as a second pair of eyes would be good. Presuming it does work, I still wouldn't rely on it without checking manually as well.