Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Roadster Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw the first wild Very Orange roadster in Surprise AZ yesterday, but of course, didn't have a camera with me. Since I know where it rests for the day while it's owner works, I'll try to take a camera and snap it next chance I get. When my 562 gets here towards the end of July, it'll be a Surprise duo.

My first sighting

Spotted my first Tesla out in the wild so had to sign up and tell everyone:

Spotted a bright orange Tesla with CA plates "A TESLA" stopped at the light heading south on El Camino & Garden View in Encinitas around 10am this morning. Looks great! I'm jealous. :biggrin:

Unfortunately didn't get a chance to get the phone out to snap a pic...

I followed a red Roadster down the hill from Tahoe last weekend (Sunday) until he turned off at Grass Valley. Was it any of you guys? I have some driving tips for you!

This particular driver was obviously trying to extend range. The odd part was that he was going 55 or under DOWN hill, and was going over 60 mph UP hill. Needs a little practice at this single pedal driving stuff, me thinks!

I followed a red Roadster down the hill from Tahoe last weekend (Sunday) until he turned off at Grass Valley. Was it any of you guys? I have some driving tips for you!

This particular driver was obviously trying to extend range. The odd part was that he was going 55 or under DOWN hill, and was going over 60 mph UP hill. Needs a little practice at this single pedal driving stuff, me thinks!

Interesting ... what was the speed limit (55 or 65) ? I can understand the 55 downhill part -- extending range thru regen -- although some drivers advocate coasting because you can't regen enough to compared to the extra distance you get coasting versus the energy spent to travel that much extra with the slower (after regen) speed.

Which one is the more efficient technique for a Roadster (Prius might be different) ? How much of it depends on cdA (higher speed if coasting) ?

Which one is the more efficient technique for a Roadster (Prius might be different) ? How much of it depends on cdA (higher speed if coasting) ?

The problem with trying to drive a Tesla Roadster efficiently is that it is no fun. It is just too tempting to floor it. You can be efficient for about 5 minutes, then you waste it all with a 30 mph to 80 mph acceleration burst.

On ramps for the interstate are the worst for efficiency, but they are the most fun part of the day.
Especially when they are the on ramps with the red/green lights to manage traffic.

Interesting ... what was the speed limit (55 or 65) ?
65 for most of it.

I can understand the 55 downhill part -- extending range thru regen
I can understand 55 downhill only if the uphill is also that speed or less. Going slower downhill with the misguided idea that you get more back with regen, and then can go 65+ uphill is a bit silly.

-- although some drivers advocate coasting because you can't regen enough to compared to the extra distance you get coasting versus the energy spent to travel that much extra with the slower (after regen) speed.
Every car and every situation is different. However, going faster uphill than down hill is never (and I don't like to say never) going to be a winner.

Prius HAS to be different. I'm an EV driver, however... just stuck behind the wheel of a Prius on this trip since we had to gain 7,200 feet pulling a trailer over 100 miles. Our Prius is our camping SUV of course.

You can be efficient for about 5 minutes
This driver was doing his best for about 40 minutes. I drive pretty darn slow as a general rule - and especially when towing a trailer with an overloaded Prius with zero towing capacity. I was comfortable going at least 5 mph faster than the Roadster was going - at least downhill.

Extremely random yellow roadster sighting (my first one I've seen in the flesh) in Beaufort SC of all places. Never in my life would I have expected to see it in such a small town in sc.

At first I couldn't believe my eyes and had to laugh to myself when my immediate gut reaction was to follow him to a gas station to talk to him about the car.