Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Anxiety how close do you cut it - and have you been bit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've ran her down to about 7miles....
It was 3am and I had already stopped twice for supercharge on a road trip from Toronto to NYC. She did reduce power though, there was no warning or indication but she wasn't as "peppy". I would say the acceleration felt like if you change to Chill mode.

Bologna.
With an EV if you are really screwed you are charging on 120V and have to sit around spending hours just putting 10 miles of range back on the car.

Funny story about that, I went glamping over the summer, I made sure to call ahead to see if the site had any available power for me to juice up. It didnt matter they only had 120v because I gonna be there for a few days without needing the car anyway. So I got to the campsite really late and jacked into the available 120v they pointed me to and in a quick flicker the ENTIRE campsite grounds went black. My car not only tripped the breaker but wrecked the wiring throughout the entire campgrounds. they were super chill about the whole thing, I was their first EV visitor and being a campsite they wanted to attract more EV type customers. So basically they thanked me for blowing their $hit up and exposing their crap wiring.

I guess if your UMC thinks you can pull 20amps you better make sure you give her 20amps or that circuit gonna fry

Once.
I pulled into a Supercharger and was unable to charge due to a fault in the port lock mechanism. Our other car is a LEAF that does not have the range to reach the Supercharger so I bit the bullet and drove halfway home. It was very gratifying to see the consumption map since I could tell that my reduced speed was fine for the distance.

I was late to my meeting but all in all it was a low drama event.

Because I like to live on the edge :p...no lol
But really, the 8 mile one, I had I think 160 miles to go 100 miles. Made it the 70 miles to destination and turning around to go the 30 to the SC, with a rated 40 left. About 10 miles in my rated dropped to same as distance to go, so found a library with public charging, had breakfast. Rolled into SC with 8. So really I was negative if not for the lucky free L2 charger I found.

The 2, I was in rural Maine. I actually had to SC 4 times that day and missed a funeral service due to it ... I actually am starting to think there is something wrong... I have been averaging 400-450 wh/mile and the temps have been above 40 and driving pretty close to highway speeds. Granted one day had rain.

That all being said, I am really impressed with SC layout in New England. I drive all over New England and have put just about 4,300 miles on my car in 3 or so weeks; the SC have been everywhere I needed them!

Your 400-450wh/mile seems out of whack. I drive in our M3 from Tahoe to the Bay Area and Bay/Napa to Tahoe constantly and in the Tahoe area constantly deal with 30-40F temps and never see this wh/mile on a trip - sure when accelerating, but not even when climbing the Donner Pass and that is 7000ft of elevation in 70 miles. My MX averages 325-375 wh/mile on the same circuit even.

It somewhat boggles my mind that cars with 300+ miles rated range on a 100% battery charge still leave people running the battery dry but gee, here we are.

I think that the model 3 will bring out a lot more of these experiences. Now that the car is coming down to a price that makes it reasonable for a business car (like mine is). I drove my route over and over in my ICE vehicle verifying the ranges I would have to drive in the Model 3 before I bought it. The max is 240 that I ran up, depending on the number of stops I have to make. I decided to put a plug in one of my businesses to be sure that I had a midway charging spot before the "announced" supercharger arrives.

The first time I drove the route I was really uptight. Made it with 32 miles to spare. I have driven it a few more times the lowest was 25 miles. This is driving the speed limit the entire time, not driving slower to conserve.

The more model 3s that get out there, the more people will expect to be able to get real range out of them outside of supercharger friendly CA.

Yesterday I got bit...

I was driving to the Ardmore, OK supercharger (on US 70 between Waurika and Ringling OK if you want to see on map), it was about 40 miles away and I had 70 miles on the battery. Seems like an fine margin, but do not really have a choice since there are not any other superchargers near. Well I got turned around on the highway. A tanker truck had overturned and the road was going to be closed for the rest of the day while they cleaned up an oil spill... With the required U turn and new route it would add about 60 miles to the trip... So, I turned around and started on the new route. The map of course kept wanting me to do uturns. Eventually the map changed to the new way and it was already flashing that I would have negative battery. Used search on the cell phone and found an RV park. Had to pay $20 to rent a stall and charge for about 2 hours using the 15-40 plug. So, it took about 3 hours longer (hour driving and 2 hour charging).

Lesson learned: when they finally get the Wichita Falls superstation built (still says 2018 estimate, hopefully next year), I will always stop for 10-15 minutes to get an extra 50-60 miles added. My driving route is Norman, OK -> Wichita Falls, TX-> Ardmore OK about 230 miles in an AWD model 3, usually gives me 25-30 spare miles range (highways speed limits from 65 to 75 on route). When winter comes I will probably have to slow charge at one of my businesses for a while (have a 14-50 plug) in Wichita Falls.

I took my first long range trip with my Model 3 from Fort Worth to Wichita Falls, which is about 105 miles each way. I totally forgot my mobile charger, but figured no big deal, I should have plenty of charge left. I gave several test drives showing off how it performs to family members so I used some range up while in town. When I was heading back on Sunday and traffic came to a complete stop 45 miles away north of Decatur on 287. It was then I had a panic moment and was really regretting not having the charger with me. I had 79 miles of range and was just sitting there. Luckily I was able to reverse back on the side road and take a few back roads to bypass the wreck and got home with 20 miles of range.

Reactions: Richt
I had a close call this last weekend. I put in a Supercharger near to NYC on the way from Baltimore, and it said I'd arrive with 7%. OK so I drove at 65mph almost the entire way, but the temperature dropped a lot and it was raining, and about 40 miles out it said I would arrive with 2% - I dropped to 60mph, switched off all the heat and eventually arrived with 3%. I won't do that again.

I had a close call this last weekend. I put in a Supercharger near to NYC on the way from Baltimore, and it said I'd arrive with 7%. OK so I drove at 65mph almost the entire way, but the temperature dropped a lot and it was raining, and about 40 miles out it said I would arrive with 2% - I dropped to 60mph, switched off all the heat and eventually arrived with 3%. I won't do that again.

Well the other learning curve will be when people get comfortable with making a trip with a tight margin and then noticing how the margin is gone when the battery gets a little older.

Reactions: DIAS
I have had battery range anxiety, but on my phone not my car! I run with my phone for music, pacing and now my car key. On a recent run, I had to really step up the pace because my phone was nearing 0%. Literally the last gasp from my phone was opening up the car after which I was able to get it on a charge. That being said, it was a rare occurrence and for the most part I LOVE the phone key!

Edit: Yes I know I can get a free fob. I really don't want one, but I'm sure my wife will appreciate it.

We drove our RWD down to 40 miles and it felt odd to be so low. But with my i3 I was going down to 5-8 miles all the time, with the car switching to REX (range extender) mode. I've even run REX down to -3 miles, whereby the car slowed and stopped...s#!t now what? My wife and I looked at each other and started laughing...it was her fault, she told me she was sure there was a gas station down this dark road. LoL.

Waited a few minutes, started the car and up it went. We got another 4 miles out of it :)

40 miles is half the range of my i3, but feels like an unnerving place to be with the Model 3.

• Love
Reactions: SageBrush
1000 miles a week is an insane amount of driving to do in an electric car. Glad you have found a way to make it work.
Last weekend I drove 1100 miles over 30 hours........ Spent a fair amount of that time at superchargers. In Mohave, CA I was charging at 117kw and a driver pulled into the spot paired with mine. I assume the supercharger hardware was faulty because the power dropped to 72kw. Grrr.. I politely told the other driver how paired stalls worked, and there was a "free pair" at the other end of the lot. He moved, and we both got to charge at full rate!

IMG_2123.jpeg
Well today confronted heavy rain driving... Very scary effect on range, at this usage only 188 miles on full charge would be available (AWD 19" wheels). Note average speed is about 60MPH!

Speaking of heavy rain, the auto wipers on the Model 3 behave very oddly. At times I was behind trucks and their spray was carpeting the windshield with water, and they were still doing intermittent wipes. Later, there were a few spots here and there and they were going full pelt.

My lowly VW GTI seemed to have much better auto wipers. I hope this is something that can be addressed in software and isn't down to poor sensors.

Auto wipers have been terrible for me compared to my Audi...

That being said, I did have a free range questions.
  1. Why does range decrease 10-20% in the rain? I know @voip-ninja said resistance. Is that because the air is heavier, thus more wind resistance. Is it more tire friction. Both, neither?
  2. With the cold, is it exponential the loss due to cold, linear, or does it plateau. I.e. do we lose say 20% at 40° and 40% at 0°. Or is it more so 40% across board. I assume linear.
  3. This is the big one for me... Why does speed have such an impact. I know that is the killer with EVs but I still do not understand. My 3 is in the shop finishing up PPF and have my ice that I have yet to trade in. I get constantly 25 mpg. I tested today driving faster or slower constantly on highway (25 mph Delta) and noticed a 5-10% change in consumption at most. In my 3, that would be 25% or more. That leads me to believe wind resistance ia a big, but not the biggest factor. Rather the motor is that much less efficient at higher speeds. Am I correct here?
Thanks all!