Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Extension Stupidity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think we know enough yet to be sure. Chances are you are right - but we just don't know enough yet as to how exactly the range extender pack will work. It might not be directly accessible to the main pack - it might simply feed power into the main pack on a persistent basis as the main pack drains from usage for example - in which case it may not require near the amount of management or cooling that the main pack requires, not unlike how a generator would be used to charge the main pack on the Ramcharger 1500 (which will use the venerable Pentastar V6 to charge the main pack continuously). I honestly think this actually hasn't all been worked out by Tesla yet - which is why they are forecasting no range extender availability until late 2024, which likely really means sometime in 2025.
If it doesn’t output at the same rate you are using the main battery then at some point the main battery will be empty and energy won’t be flowing fast enough to keep up with demand and you will be “dead” with energy still left in the REx. Gas powered range extenders work because they output at a higher rate than you can use it so there is always a net positive.

This will be an extension of the main battery, not designed to be constantly removed and reinstalled. You will be charged for hours of Tesla service to put it in and remove it so at $1000 a pop people aren’t going to be constantly swapping it out. This is the rest of the battery pack that they couldn’t fit in the “frame” to get to 500 miles.

Reactions: mspohr
Mountain meet mole hill. You all are way overestimating how difficult it will be to create the RE. This is Tesla we're talking about, not GM.
Tesla has literally said that the REx won't be available until late 2024. I'm guessing it's more like 2025 based upon past experience with Tesla meeting timelines. Hope I'm wrong of course - but historically if I were a betting man - I wouldn't be putting money down on late 2024. Like many other vehicular model options that Tesla has mentioned over the years - if there is not sufficient demand for the option between now and then - it will never come to fruition.

Reactions: mspohr
If they built the functionality into the CT and it won't be a complete HACK, that means that the aftermarket could ALSO come out with a REx that allows it to work with the internal battery to add range. Perhaps even a smaller one that could replace the underbed storage bin that is useless as a spare tire area so why not use it for batts. Get me to 400+ miles of range w/o giving up the bed space.

I have previously mentioned having one that is powered by a Fuel Cell or Diesel, why not various sizes and locations for batteries too

Reactions: Hank42
If they built the functionality into the CT and it won't be a complete HACK, that means that the aftermarket could ALSO come out with a REx that allows it to work with the internal battery to add range. Perhaps even a smaller one that could replace the underbed storage bin that is useless as a spare tire area so why not use it for batts. Get me to 400+ miles of range w/o giving up the bed space.

I have previously mentioned having one that is powered by a Fuel Cell or Diesel, why not various sizes and locations for batteries too
It's all a kludge since they didn't design enough space for batteries to meet their range targets.

Reactions: doghousePVD
It's all a kludge since they didn't design enough space for batteries to meet their range targets.

Is it over?

Is design over?

Is it "all said and done"?

The problem is not that they didn't meet and king of range targets. The problem is that they are selling EVERY SINGLE CT they make at what is being called a "range target miss".

If people want to stop this - they should stop buying them. Speak with your wallets. <--- Oh wait, people aren't.

Who are the people that aren't speaking with their wallets? I think I saw Serena Williams and her husband. I think I saw a few other wealthy folks during delivery day. I'm not what most would call rich, however if they released my reservation number today....they would have my fully paid beast CT payment in 10 minutes.

My suggestion is - it aint over. It's a direct repeat of the Model 3 when it first came out. My P3D was almost double the price of what I thought it should have been, however, to keep my blood pressure in check, and care for myself I resorted to "it-is-what-it-is".

Last edited:
Is it over?

Is design over?

Is it "all said and done"?

The problem is not that they didn't meet and king of range targets. The problem is that they are selling EVERY SINGLE CT they make at what is being called a "range target miss".

If people want to stop this - they should stop buying them. Speak with your wallets. <--- Oh wait, people aren't.

Who are the people that aren't speaking with their wallets? I think I saw Serena Williams and her husband. I think I saw a few other wealthy folks during delivery day. I'm not what most would call rich, however if they released my reservation number today....they would have my fully paid beast CT payment in 10 minutes.

My suggestion is - it aint over. It's a direct repeat of the Model 3 when it first came out. My P3D was almost double the price of what I thought it should have been, however, to keep my blood pressure in check, and care for myself I resorted to "it-is-what-it-is".
I personally believe that range of any EV is not that important.
Electricity is everywhere.
That could be why Tesla made this compromise.
I predict that very few people will buy the range extender (if Tesla ever offers it).
The cannonball run guys can make their own kludge.

I personally believe that range of any EV is not that important.
Electricity is everywhere.
Again, it's important to those who want to tow. And even though not many actually do, people buy trucks to do that. That's why the tri-motor had 44% of all reservations, mostly due to range. People don't want to have to drop their trailer ever 150-200 miles to charge for 20 min.

It will be fine for those wanting a Tesla that is also a truck...fine for those wanting a fast truck...or a radical looking truck, but the price and range will miss trying to convert the massive number of people buying an ICE truck per year. No EV truck currently does that...maybe the Silverado will? I doubt it.

The Ramcharger is already getting a lot of hype in the truck buyer market...it's a hybrid of sorts, but better than pure ICE, I guess.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
Here we go again complaining about range. WILL IT EVER END? :D 😂🤣

funny.jpg

It's reality and why no EV truck is taking down ICE currently and won't for a while. TSLA and Tesla fans don't want to believe it, but the 500 miles was a huge talking point to ICE truck owners that it may be possible to switch....and the insane price points at launch.

It's fine that the CT isn't going to take down ICE, it will still sell a ton and be a great vehicle, but to dismiss the need for range misses the point of what many truck buyers are looking for, even if they never really use it.

Again, it's important to those who want to tow. And even though not many actually do, people buy trucks to do that. That's why the tri-motor had 44% of all reservations, mostly due to range. People don't want to have to drop their trailer ever 150-200 miles to charge for 20 min.

It will be fine for those wanting a Tesla that is also a truck...fine for those wanting a fast truck...or a radical looking truck, but the price and range will miss trying to convert the massive number of people buying an ICE truck per year. No EV truck currently does that...maybe the Silverado will? I doubt it.

The Ramcharger is already getting a lot of hype in the truck buyer market...it's a hybrid of sorts, but better than pure ICE, I guess.
“Those who want to tow” did not account for 44% of reservations. “Those who want the most range possible period” did. “Those who need to tow” probably accounted for less than 5% but are the most vocal.

Also, when it was announced, 500 miles for $80k was cheaper and more range than MS and MX so why wouldn’t you reserve that one? If the prices and ranges were announced in 2019 as what they are now, the reservation pie chart would look a lot different.

Reactions: Hank42 and mspohr
It's reality and why no EV truck is taking down ICE currently and won't for a while. TSLA and Tesla fans don't want to believe it, but the 500 miles was a huge talking point to ICE truck owners that it may be possible to switch....and the insane price points at launch.

It's fine that the CT isn't going to take down ICE, it will still sell a ton and be a great vehicle, but to dismiss the need for range misses the point of what many truck buyers are looking for, even if they never really use it.

EV is the competitor for ICE. Not CT.

CT+Rivian+Lightning+any other EV trunk is the threat to ICE trucks.

EV is the competitor for ICE. Not CT.

CT+Rivian+Lightning+any other EV trunk is the threat to ICE trucks.
It is more the threat of upcoming regulations to eliminate ICE to “save the planet” that is what is allowing/forcing EVs to be a threat. Current evs have success because they can be cheaper and easier to operate than ICE. Until EV trucks offer the same experience, they won’t be a threat more than the regulations require.

For 95% of vehicle owners, the upcoming regulations and shift to evs won’t change anything. For recreational towers (I think commercial trucks have more time) a shift in driving habits will be needed.

Also, the regulations are banning new sales, not the use of existing trucks so this scare that they won’t be able to use their diesel truck to tow their trailer and boat on a camping trip is 2030 is just being uninformed.

For now, it is a personal desire to switch to EV so until it meets your needs, enjoy driving what you currently drive

Reactions: uscbucsfan
Also, the regulations are banning new sales, not the use of existing trucks so this scare that they won’t be able to use their diesel truck to tow their trailer and boat on a camping trip is 2030 is just being uninformed.
I thought most of that was pushed to 2035 and it's only like 8 or 9 states. For many states, a ban will never happen. The fed would need to do it.

“Those who want to tow” did not account for 44% of reservations. “Those who want the most range possible period” did. “Those who need to tow” probably accounted for less than 5% but are the most vocal.

Also, when it was announced, 500 miles for $80k was cheaper and more range than MS and MX so why wouldn’t you reserve that one? If the prices and ranges were announced in 2019 as what they are now, the reservation pie chart would look a lot different.
I suspect that a higher percentage than 5% of the 44% cared about the 500 miles of range not just to have higher range - but for actual towing/hauling purposes. Many of these folks will likely cancel or already have canceled their reservations if this is was their primary desire. Tesla won't share, nor will it ever share, the volume of reservation cancellations, especially if that number is considerable, as that would not look good for them and would communicate the wrong message to the market and to the stockholders. So we won't ever know either way, except to observe volume production ramps and price points as we move forward - particularly for the trimotor variant.

Why would anyone concerned about towing range substitute with an MS/MX? I certainly wouldn't, and I only tow/haul occasionally nowadays and not for particularly long distances. Those vehicles were never designed for this purpose really.

Those vehicles were never designed for this purpose really.
And many of the headlines said the CT with 500 miles of range that was affordable was finally an EV truck design to target the regular truck market.

Neither turned out to be true...again, the CT will still sell a ton, but to dismiss the importance of range is crazy. The F150L famously towed a boat like 120 miles before hitting 0, that's not even enough to get most from the lake and back.

Range and towing is important, especially if someone wants to tow at highway speeds...and we aren't even talking about driving for 4 hours. That's less than an hour each way.

Reactions: HitchHiker71