Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range gain from Tsportsline Wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m curious as to any current MX owners experience in switching from the Tesla stock 22’s to Tsportsline’s 22” wheels which claim to be 25% lighter. I’m curious about the real world experienced range gains that people have experienced, as this may be something appealing for my next X instead of the factory wheels, while still being able to achieve closer to rated range.

Thanks in advance to anyone whose able to share their experience!

It really depends on tires and wheel design (aero). I moved from 20" wheels to aftermarket 22" wheels that weigh the same and have more efficient tires. My efficiency still is not as good as the 20" wheels. Most likely due to aero.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ryshaw
I’m curious as to any current MX owners experience in switching from the Tesla stock 22’s to Tsportsline’s 22” wheels which claim to be 25% lighter. I’m curious about the real world experienced range gains that people have experienced, as this may be something appealing for my next X instead of the factory wheels, while still being able to achieve closer to rated range.

Thanks in advance to anyone whose able to share their experience!
Question: recently I came across an owner's Model X review w/pros and cons and one thing he mentioned that I never considered was how he's never spent so much money on replacement tires (almost every 18k miles), and that it wasn't based on his driving (normal) but because the X weighs 6k lbs. that they wear much quicker. Has this been your experience?

Stock 20” Wheels with OEM Continental Contisilents: 377wh/mi. Been through 3 sets of these, pretty consistent on mileage but wear ranged from 15,000-30,000/set.

Stock 22” Wheels with OEM Pirelli: 415wh/mi. Went through 1 set. Lasted roughly 15,000 miles.

Tsportlime 22” Wheels with Continental DWS06: 374wh/mi. About 10,000 miles on these so far, 8/32 remaining.

I have 22's on my P100d X pirellii's - I just took them off after 35,000 miles - still not near tread wear bars. But after the winter I will just put on my award set with new rubber - I am absolutely amazed they lasted as well as they did - My Panamera Turbo's ate the rubber for breakfast every 10k miles.

Stock 20” Wheels with OEM Continental Contisilents: 377wh/mi. Been through 3 sets of these, pretty consistent on mileage but wear ranged from 15,000-30,000/set.

Stock 22” Wheels with OEM Pirelli: 415wh/mi. Went through 1 set. Lasted roughly 15,000 miles.

Tsportlime 22” Wheels with Continental DWS06: 374wh/mi. About 10,000 miles on these so far, 8/32 remaining.

Forgot to add - these are T-Sportline TSS wheels. They're not the lightest, but I think the design/aero does have an effect on range as well.

One thing I'm finding is that one of our X's is wearing the inside much more than the outsides. Even after multiple alignments. The tread remaining is often 4-6/32 remaining but the insides are bald. Our other X has been square all around. So tire wear, consumption, etc. should all be taken with a grain of salt as driving habits, weather, a lot of factors to consider. My comparison isn't to say you definitely will experience a range reduction, just to show what I've experienced with my driving habits. There are also multiple threads of mine that show how the range has fluctuated over time - the Tsportlines have dropped to a low of 374 wh/mi, but were up around 382wh/mi when I first bought them. I also expect them to creep back up in consumption when the temps drop more. In the same manner, the Stock 22" w/ Pirellis saw between 405-425wh/mi for me.

• Informative
Reactions: jet44
My pirellis on 22” rims lasted over 40k miles. Probably had another 2-5k miles left in them when I changed them out for award wheels. Replacing them was surprisingly cheap, was around $320 installed after a flat.

Question: recently I came across an owner's Model X review w/pros and cons and one thing he mentioned that I never considered was how he's never spent so much money on replacement tires (almost every 18k miles), and that it wasn't based on his driving (normal) but because the X weighs 6k lbs. that they wear much quicker. Has this been your experience?
It has not been my experience. I replaced my Pirellis at 26k miles upon my 2 year inspection. Unfortunately the Service Center replaced with Goodyears, which I did not request, nor realized until after I’d left. I’ve read about the increased wear before as well, but didn’t notice any sort of additional wear than expected on my 22” Tesla Stock wheels with the Pirelli’s, but with 10k on the Goodyear’s, they seem to be wearing down considerably quicker, with no difference in Wh/mile, and the look is considerably less sporty IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: BulldogsRus
Forgot to add - these are T-Sportline TSS wheels. They're not the lightest, but I think the design/aero does have an effect on range as well.

One thing I'm finding is that one of our X's is wearing the inside much more than the outsides. Even after multiple alignments. The tread remaining is often 4-6/32 remaining but the insides are bald. Our other X has been square all around. So tire wear, consumption, etc. should all be taken with a grain of salt as driving habits, weather, a lot of factors to consider. My comparison isn't to say you definitely will experience a range reduction, just to show what I've experienced with my driving habits. There are also multiple threads of mine that show how the range has fluctuated over time - the Tsportlines have dropped to a low of 374 wh/mi, but were up around 382wh/mi when I first bought them. I also expect them to creep back up in consumption when the temps drop more. In the same manner, the Stock 22" w/ Pirellis saw between 405-425wh/mi for me.
Thanks, Yinn, this is all super helpful and informative!

That is good efficiency! Are you planning on running your 22" Tsports w/ DWS during the winter? I have a similar setup with 22" aftermarket wheels and DWS tires. Wondering how they will perform in the snow/ice.

That is good efficiency! Are you planning on running your 22" Tsports w/ DWS during the winter? I have a similar setup with 22" aftermarket wheels and DWS tires. Wondering how they will perform in the snow/ice.

I've run DWS in snow and ice before, they do ok. They do much better than the Pirelli's that come with the 22's but I still prefer my Nokians for the winter. I'll probably push another 2-3 weeks before switching to them. I'm seeing temps in the 20's now and as expected the wh/mi started creeping back up. 375wh/mi right now.

Reactions: VikH
I've run DWS in snow and ice before, they do ok. They do much better than the Pirelli's that come with the 22's but I still prefer my Nokians for the winter. I'll probably push another 2-3 weeks before switching to them. I'm seeing temps in the 20's now and as expected the wh/mi started creeping back up. 375wh/mi right now.

Thanks and good to know. I did fine with the stock all season 20" Crosscontacts last winter (we got +70" of snow), so want to see if I can run the 22" wheels w/ DWS.

Thanks and good to know. I did fine with the stock all season 20" Crosscontacts last winter (we got +70" of snow), so want to see if I can run the 22" wheels w/ DWS.

If you did fine with the Crosscontacts, you'll be fine with the DWS. Since I used DWS on snow/ice on another car; I can't compare the two directly. Where I found with the cross contacts is that I wanted a bit more ice traction, both laterally as well as straight ahead. I felt the DWS was very confident on ice on my other car (Acura) but this may be due to the weight of the car though.

On snow, I felt it was perfectly adequate. Just watch out for the plowmade potholes!

Reactions: VikH
I drive a ton of highest miles but I still don't get how you guys are getting less than 50k miles on the OEM Continentals...I still have the original set with 70k miles on my 18 x100d and still probably have at least 10k miles on my front and 20k on my rears.

I'm going to replace them sooner... Anyone here try the new pirelli scorpion Verde as plus 2s? Or the scorpion zero as plus? I'm leaving towards the Verde but it's so new not sure because the previous Verde as plus didn't have good reviews on quietness while the zero as plus have really good reviews

I drive a ton of highest miles but I still don't get how you guys are getting less than 50k miles on the OEM Continentals...I still have the original set with 70k miles on my 18 x100d and still probably have at least 10k miles on my front and 20k on my rears.

I'm going to replace them sooner... Anyone here try the new pirelli scorpion Verde as plus 2s? Or the scorpion zero as plus? I'm leaving towards the Verde but it's so new not sure because the previous Verde as plus didn't have good reviews on quietness while the zero as plus have really good reviews

Tire wear just has too many factors. For the extreme, in the right setting I can burn through a set of tires in one day. If you're a highway cruiser, you should be able to get a lot of miles out of the tire. There's minimal forces from acceleration, braking, edge wear, etc. since it's mostly a consistent speed. Driving on rough terrain - fire gravel roads for example are rough on treads, those who like speed through their corners may often see 6/32 in the middle of the tire but be bald on the edges, cars that travel a lot of incline and decline will often see accelerated wear as well. It's not 1:1 always. It's the same reason some of us get 280 wh/mi, some of us can't get any better than 450wh/mi.