Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range hit with a hitch-mounted cargo shelf?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if you or anyone else has taken a road trip w a hitch-mounted cargo tray like this one or this one along with a cargo bag. Hoping someone can report on the range or wh/m hit one can expect to see? I would expect nowhere near the hit a trailer would deliver, but if it's still pretty high that may make the difference between getting it vs. just talking the minivan for my upcoming road trip (and man do I NOT want to take the minivan!!)

I poked around the road-trip sticky thread too, but couldn't find any trip reports talking about a hitch-mounted carrier like this.

Cheers!

not exactly a match, but I'm seeing 15-20% hit with a Kuat Bike hitch (ie tray mount) and 4 mountain bikes. More than I was hoping, but just made me plan a little more (including the altitude climb +4500ft....still able to make it between Superchargers without a challenge. We left the Minivan behind at home on our current trip from SF Bay Area to Central Oregon....4 bikes, my golf clubs, wife, 2 teenagers, lots of sporting gear and assorted stuff .

Thanks for the anecdotes! I dunno if weight or aerodynamics is the main culprit, but i suspect it's the latter (or else loading up weight inside the car would have the same range impact, which I don't think it does.) Hopefully some folks with a cargo box, rather than bikes, will also check in here so we could compare.

Cheers

I have all the gear for the test, just need the car now. I am mating a large amazon aluminum tray https://amzn.com/B00PXNC7K0 with the StowAway swinging mount (thinking trunk and supercharger access) and cargo bag Amazon.com: ROLA 59119 Rainproof Cargo Carrier Bag 59" x 24" x 24" (20 Cu Ft): Automotive. The tray even doubles as a 4 bike rack, but without extra cushioning the bikes will touch when strapped in which is not a concern for my cheap beach/kids bikes. Not able to answer your question yet, but when the SC gets the door part needed, I will finally pick-up my X and give it a test.