Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range in Phoenix summer with heavy AC use? Standard Mileage Plus ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering a Model 3 Standard Mileage Plus but I have about a 45 mile commute each direction in traffic plus maybe a lunch trip so calling it 50 miles and say a little over an hour each direction in 110 temp at mixed highway speeds of 15-75 MPH. Not sure how much the AC will take from my range but assume will be running near 100% in summer months and seems can lose a lot of range. What will the normal 240 mile range likely be reduced to? I believe read could turn off the climate control while the car sits so dont use much range here but I don't have covered parking at work or access to any power. Just want to make sure wont have range anxiety even with any other range limiting factors to consider.

I wouldn’t worry about running the AC as the power to run the AC is insignificant compared with running the heat. I have a long range RWD I often get rated range 310 miles in heat over 100 degrees with speeds around 70 mph. You will Likely get better than rated range if you spend a lot of your commute in stop and go traffic. Range anxiety is mainly felt by people who don’t own a Tesla yet, if you have a plug at home then plug it in at night set charge to 90 percent and enjoy never needing to worry about fuel as part of your daily commute ever again. ( :

AC is really negligible. My best efficiency is when it’s blazing hot here.

When driving anyway... if you leave the cabin overheat protection on and park in the sun you’ll lose a lot of range over the course of a day.

Do you park your car outside during the day? If so, other people can say if that’s a significant problem (if you don’t get tint).

Generally, a really good tint will cut your in vehicle heat, but I would always recommend not parking outside during the day.

I'm in Phx, but didn't start tracking this right away so not much hot data. Notice how efficiency goes up around 100F and drops off in the 50's. I drive hard and some of this data might be before the range increase on the LR.

Our plan is to have the car take my wife to work and come home and park in the garage on FSD. For now, I'm chauffeur and lovin it! Sun will kill any car, and this paint is a bit delicate from Ca. If I had to park in the sun, I'd probably just vent it (an option) vs A/C. That has to lower temps here a lot! Very nice feature.
5-29-2019 11-46-21 PM.png

what about battery cooling effect on range?

I live in LA but spent a lot of driving in Arizona and Nevada during hot summers. The car almost never needs to cell the battery unless you are supercharging where it gets power from the charger so there no loss on range. I have been monitoring AC consumption and battery temperature on the car's data bus for 3 years. Only in the most extreme desert conditions with temperatures over 110 did the car sometimes use the AC a little to cool the battery and other components. But that was in a Model S. The Model 3 is much more efficient thus needs less cooling.

As for AC use in the summer in general. It's between 500 and 1500 Watt. Depending on driving speed and conditions, 5-10%. BTW, air humidity affect AC consumption a lot, too. Arizona is usually very dry which uses less AC power. Also worth noting, the battery itself actually works more efficient when hot. 115 F (46 C) is great for the battery in terms of efficiency and performance.

Based on analyzing 150k miles of driving over 4 years, my car uses the least amount of energy in temperatures between 80 to 90 F.

• Informative
Reactions: Rogue one
I'm in Phx, but didn't start tracking this right away so not much hot data. Notice how efficiency goes up around 100F and drops off in the 50's.

I would say the amount of data you have is not enough to draw a conclusion. When you look at this data on Teslafi, make sure you click on "Drives over 10 miles". Shorter drives are not useful data. Here is my temperature efficiency over aprox 150k miles.

tempEff.PNG

Reactions: SOULPEDL
I would say the amount of data you have is not enough to draw a conclusion. When you look at this data on Teslafi, make sure you click on "Drives over 10 miles". Shorter drives are not useful data. Here is my temperature efficiency over aprox 150k miles.

View attachment 413549

Little chilly there at times. Ya, our trips are short mostly. But the data tracks yours with the drop off below 50F. And 90F + seems to also drop off but not nearly as bad as cold.

And if you drive "normal", I'm surprised that I'm only about 10% less efficient with my heavy pedal (and the 3 vs S).

Awesome data and further info ... much appreciated!!!

I will get the windows tinted with best tint can get. It will be parked in garage at home but the three days I drive into office no choice but out in the sun. I travel a lot too so will use the parking garage at airport. Will make sure to take care of the paint and coat/wax frequently.

But the data tracks yours with the drop off below 50F. And 90F + seems to also drop off but not nearly as bad as cold.

Yes winter uses more energy but not because the heater needs more energy vs AC. It's just the bigger temperature difference. Considering my car shows to be most efficient at 80-85, the drop off in efficiency (=higher energy usage) is almost the same in cold or hot temps when looking at the temperature difference. 30 degree higher than idea causes aprox 12% higher energy usage. 30 degrees lower than idea also causes 10% more energy usage, 60 degree colder causes 21% more energy.

Thanks everyone!

Is the cabin overheat really supposed to be left on to protect something in an environment like Phoenix or is it just convenience and will be fine to just turn off?

Ostensibly it’s to protect your crotch goblins if you forget them in the back seat. Mine are more than big enough to get themselves out of the car, and I find the feature to otherwise be a fantastic waste of energy, so I leave it off. Good tint and a windshield sun shade do the trick for me.

• Funny
Reactions: WilliamG
I will get the windows tinted with best tint can get. It will be parked in garage at home but the three days I drive into office no choice but out in the sun. .. Will make sure to take care of the paint and coat/wax frequently.

Just got my M3 back with tint on sides and back. Significant improvement in A/C efficiency during mid-day AZ sun. I chose Spectra PhotoSync but have also heard good things about 3M.

You might also consider the glass roof sunshade. I leave it in all the time; seems to improve the acoustics a bit, too. =^)

• Helpful
Reactions: David99
I have a similar drive, 45 mile each way 3-4 days a week from Surprise to Chandler. (LR AWD model)
AC is left at 70 and the fan speed is at 5 or 6 as that keeps the car nice so far (was almost 100 today on the drive to worktoday).
My Wh/mi is always in the 220's so take that into effect if you are a lead foot.

My day starts with 279 miles of range, 90 miles round trip and 12 hrs of sentry mode i'll get home with 177-180 miles of range.

Thanks everyone!

Is the cabin overheat really supposed to be left on to protect something in an environment like Phoenix or is it just convenience and will be fine to just turn off?
It's up to you. I do keep mine on (with just the ambient air option, not the AC option) as just the fans won't drain all that much. Of course keeping the interior cooler is ideal but it's not like it will break anything. If you are iffy on range keeping the windows cracked, adding tint, sunscreen for roof and windshield might be better.

Edit, if your commute is 100 miles round trip I wouldn't worry at all. As others mentioned AC doesn't really take all that much. Heat is what costs us. Speed also, driving 75 will take more than the AC will. Going 85-90 even more so.