Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range loss 2020.24.6.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla please just add setting to dash to show customers their current battery degradation... It would stop 50 million forum posts like this and be a practical way to advice the customer of their expectations of the pack. Its there on the can bus.

Don't worry - I know all the mileage thing is a wind up. This is my fourth electric car and I know that the range is not only the battery state, including temperature but also a history of recent driving. I don't really care what it says - my first EV did 35 miles on a charge, the second around, 75, the third around 90 so plus or minus a few miles on the M3 is of no concern!

Reactions: jpfive
Tesla please just add setting to dash to show customers their current battery degradation... It would stop 50 million forum posts like this and be a practical way to advice the customer of their expectations of the pack. Its there on the can bus.

Having that will likely not reduce any posts in this area.
There are those that will post, as soon as they lose one single mile.

It would be better for Tesla to place a pop up window within the next update that we need to click OK on, that sets expectations on what to expect for your battery degradation, how to care for it, and how variances will be seen for many reasons.

Having that will likely not reduce any posts in this area.
There are those that will post, as soon as they lose one single mile.

It would be better for Tesla to place a pop up window within the next update that we need to click OK on, that sets expectations on what to expect for your battery degradation, how to care for it, and how variances will be seen for many reasons.

I think it's fair to say that Tesla should do a better job to set reasonable degradation expectations/how to care for it upon purchase.

I just got this update a few days ago and I've instantly lost about 6 miles of range. Anybody else lose range?
How do know you "instantly lost 6 miles"? Did a banner flash on your screen telling you lost 6 miles? 6 miles could be a charging or consumption anomaly. Charge a few times and then tell us what you find. I have that same SW version and haven't seen any loss.

Reactions: M109Rider
I lost about four miles with this update. I can say it with confidence as I have charged many times before and since with consistent results.

If you lost 4 miles after an update, then it’s likely not a physical loss. It’s likely just a visual loss. I wouldn’t stress about it.

We’ve been reading these software update loss’s and increases for a almost two years now on forums. It goes up and down.

While I wouldn’t recommend it, the only true way to test your range is to charge to 100% then drive down as close to zero as possible (while at reasonable speeds).

My suggestion, and I’m sure you’ve heard this before, is to set your display to % not distance, and maybe check your range once in a while. Otherwise, in my opinion, you’re stressing over range you may not have lost. Or your stressing over a few miles lost, that really don’t matter all that much.

Reactions: Gasaraki
The only thing that has any bearing on these results imo in a realistic sense because every drive is different is the degradation value. Then you know how much you expect from the pack over time.

I have to say though to be honest still the best advice is to switch to percentage by default, will the car get you there? Yes.. If not will it supercharge Yes, will you still get there Yes. Do I stare at my phone running on the same technology getting less time today because I am running 5 apps instead of 3? No it will tell me when it needs to recharge.

But if after an update my degradation went from 99% to 98.3% hey if I have a grasp of batteries that's nothing expected loss. If I know nothing that looks tiny :D EPA needs to change to percentage then we can all relax. Time to change to batteries and time to change how we look at miles.