Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in central Florida where in summer the temp is in the 90's every day. Right now the temp is 92 in the garage. Interior temp on the car is 90. I also park outside three days a week and it gets really hot in the car. I can cool the interior down to 80 I suppose but will that help to avoid battery degradation? At full charge the app show 268 miles instead of 271. Car is five months old with 6,000 miles. 240 volt charger in the garage.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I picked up my M3LR four days ago, since then recharged twice to 90% and calculated the battery capacity (using the energy screen, 25 and 50 km average).
The result is around 77 kW.

Question, would that now be:
- the nominal capacity ( => usable: 73.5 kW ) , or
- the usable capacity ( => nominal: 80.6 kW ) ?

If it matters, the last reading was with 327 km (odometer), ambient temp in all cases between 35 and 40 C (95 and 104 F).
The car is manufactured in Shanghai.

Have a 2019 Model 3 standard range, have been getting 3 miles/kWh for the time I owned it (~3k miles). Getting a range of 150miles. I do have AC on and the average temperature in the area I drive is in 70s. I don’t use sentry, pre condition and other battery sucking features.

3 miles/kwh is what I used to get in my Model S (under same conditions). I am surprised that the Model 3 is also having the same. I did reach out to Tesla and they said everything is fine and give the same old BS of range depends on various reasons blah blah blah.

Of course the miles/kWh on the screen doesn’t consider climate and accessories usage, I always calculate based on the kWh charged and miles driven. Eager to know how is your experience on the 2019? I am not sure what else I can do here, I am very unhappy with the efficiency of the car

150 mile range from what % battery to what % battery?

kWh charged/miles driven is not an accurate way to measure vehicle efficiency. There’s a loss of energy during the charging process that doesn’t make it into the battery, especially true if you charge on 120V.

What’s the Wh/mile indicated by the car? The cars efficiency rating does take into account all energy users while the car is driving. I’m not sure where you got the idea that it doesn’t. It doesn’t count energy use while parked in the efficiency calculation though.

150 mile range from what % battery to what % battery?

kWh charged/miles driven is not an accurate way to measure vehicle efficiency. There’s a loss of energy during the charging process that doesn’t make it into the battery, especially true if you charge on 120V.

What’s the Wh/mile indicated by the car? The cars efficiency rating does take into account all energy users while the car is driving. I’m not sure where you got the idea that it doesn’t. It doesn’t count energy use while parked in the efficiency calculation

Well, if there is a loss during charging is it my fault or Tesla’s? If Tesla loses 50kw for every 50kw charge (of course I am not saying it loses 50kw), will I say I don’t care about the 50kw loss?

Well, if there is a loss during charging is it my fault or Tesla’s? If Tesla loses 50kw for every 50kw charge (of course I am not saying it loses 50kw), will I say I don’t care about the 50kw loss?
It’s mostly your fault because the amount of loss is dependent on your charging setup.

The car uses up energy to run the electronics while it’s charging. The slower your charging setup is, the longer the electronics have to stay on, the more energy is wasted instead of going into the battery.

The rest of the loss is due to physics so it’s not really anyone’s fault.

It’s mostly your fault because the amount of loss is dependent on your charging setup.

The car uses up energy to run the electronics while it’s charging. The slower your charging setup is, the longer the electronics have to stay on, the more energy is wasted instead of going into the battery.

The rest of the loss is due to physics so it’s not really anyone’s fault.
You don’t even know my charging setup and decided it’s my fault? What is my charging setup, that made you feel it’s my fault Elon?

Just FYI, I use 240V, now don’t tell me I need to use supercharging always, so I run the electronics less <facepalm>

• Disagree
Reactions: Kimmi
calculated the battery capacity (using the energy screen, 25 and 50 km average).
The result is around 77 kW.

Question, would that now be:
- the nominal capacity ( => usable: 73.5 kW ) , or
- the usable capacity ( => nominal: 80.6 kW ) ?

The result from the energy graph is the total capacity.
”Usable” (above 0%) is 0.955x77 = 73.5kWh.

Shanghai built meant the battery is the LG NMC 78.8kWh. They usually climbes in capacity duringcthe first months, often reaching 78.8-79kWh according to the BMS.

Reactions: tb.dxb
The result from the energy graph is the total capacity.
”Usable” (above 0%) is 0.955x77 = 73.5kWh.

Shanghai built meant the battery is the LG NMC 78.8kWh. They usually climbes in capacity duringcthe first months, often reaching 78.8-79kWh according to the BMS.
Thanks, understood.
Meanwhile I have done a little over 800 km / 500 mls. The last calculation off the energy screen indicates 78 kW (numbers taken at 96% SoC and 41 C / 106F).

Reactions: AAKEE
Thanks, understood.
Meanwhile I have done a little over 800 km / 500 mls. The last calculation off the energy screen indicates 78 kW (numbers taken at 96% SoC and 41 C / 106F).
Looks good and follow our plan to hit ~79 kWh ;)

While its not probable that it goes way above 79 kWh, the energy screen is limited to the maximum range number = 79 kWh. This means that if the capacity goes above about 79 kWh, the calculation will still show about 79 kWh.

I find my charging efficiency depends a lot on what the battery temperature is. If I charge a cold battery in February, for instance, before a drive this is what I get:

1690119691651.png

Later that same day, still cold outside, but charging right when returning home after a drive:

1690119768342.png

So you obviously can control those losses to an extent.

I find my charging efficiency depends a lot on what the battery temperature is. If I charge a cold battery in February, for instance, before a drive this is what I get:

View attachment 958846

Later that same day, still cold outside, but charging right when returning home after a drive:

View attachment 958847
So you obviously can control those losses to an extent.
Understood, irrespective of the charging losses. My 3 averages 150miles per 100% charge, now the 100% can be 50kw or 55kw or 60kw depending on the losses.

150 on a M3 isn’t bad? In cali summer?

Sorry, I didn’t know that I need to prove before I understand other people’s experience.
I thought you wanted other's people opinions? If we base our opinions on only what someone writes, that opinion will only echo what you wrote. If you post screenshots of the data you were looking at, we may be able to see something that you didn't. That kind of thing.

Not sure what I have to prove before I get the hostile reaction.