Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
now the 100% can be 50kw or 55kw or 60kw depending on the losses.

Not sure what any of this means (units and numbers are incorrect).
52.5kWh when new. Probably closer to 46kWh or so now if you are lucky. About 44kWh usable or so.
You’d have to tell us the rated range now in order to actually give you real numbers.

Also have you done a BMS recalibration?
I took this as just distances traveled not what it said the range was.

I took this as just distances traveled not what it said the range was.
Well it's the same. Let's say he drove from 100% to 0% and got 150km. The BMS said 0% and he stopped at 0%. What (if any) would have been the actual km driven if a BMS recal was done.

Draining the battery from 100-0 then charging back to 100 would certainly help to recal the BMS. Maybe I answered my own question👍

Reactions: K819
Well it's the same. Let's say he drove from 100% to 0% and got 150km. The BMS said 0% and he stopped at 0%. What (if any) would have been the actual km driven if a BMS recal was done.

Draining the battery from 100-0 then charging back to 100 would certainly help to recal the BMS. Maybe I answered my own question👍
I was just addressing the capacity.

Of course the real-world range and the capacity are only loosely correlated.

Reactions: AAKEE

This applies for non lithium phosphate (2019 )battery as well? Thanks.

I just got feedback from Tesla, they said my battery capacity is at 91%.

9% loss for 27.6k miles is just bad
I don't think it's that bad. It might even be better than average. Capacity loss is mostly based on time and not distance. I also have a 2019 M3 SR+ and here's my capacity according to Tessie:

1690222607722.png

For a 2019 SR with that mileage what you are seeing is dominated by calendar aging AND it is actually quite good for that vehicle vintage (a few of these 240-mile vehicles showed around 200 miles in a year of ownership - plenty of threads on that from 2019 if you look!). Mileage has pretty small impact at this point.

You’re at about 218 rated miles (apparently) at 100% which is quite normal for a four-year-old vehicle.

Keep it below 55% when you’re not using it (if convenient), and recharge whenever you can (if your situation allows, just delay the charging until your departure of course - but always charge rather than not charge!).

If you need a higher level then if you can delay charging that is ideal, and of course you will bring it well below 55% in that case on a regular basis, so you’ll still be in great shape with very low average SOC.

Reactions: DrGriz
For a 2019 SR with that mileage what you are seeing is dominated by calendar aging AND it is actually quite good for that vehicle vintage (a few of these 240-mile vehicles showed around 200 miles in a year of ownership - plenty of threads on that from 2019 if you look!). Mileage has pretty small impact at this point.

You’re at about 218 rated miles (apparently) at 100% which is quite normal for a four-year-old vehicle.

Keep it below 55% when you’re not using it (if convenient), and recharge whenever you can (if your situation allows, just delay the charging until your departure of course - but always charge rather than not charge!).

If you need a higher level then if you can delay charging that is ideal, and of course you will bring it well below 55% in that case on a regular basis, so you’ll still be in great shape with very low average SOC.
Interesting, any reason on why 55% and not 90%? Appreciate your inputs.

@AlanSubie4Life nailed it!

You do basically loose capacity on time, and very little on the miles. This is true for the 8 first years or so.

Calendar aging is cut by half just by reducing the SOC to 55% or below.
65% or above will double the rate compared to 55% or below.

You can search for my posts. Search for ”Calendar aging”

This pic is a teaser.
IMG_4553.jpeg

Thats really good for a potentially 4.5 year old vehicle
Could it have been any better? - possibly but you don't know how the previous owner charged that vehicle
This applies for non lithium phosphate (2019 )battery as well? Thanks.
BMS recalibration can be done occasionally regardless of battery type to bring what the BMS thinks is the usable range closer to the actual available range (less the reserve 4% that should be available when the BMS says 0%)

reducing the SOC to 55%
@K819 welcome to the SOC55 club - it costs nothing to join!. BTW how many miles has your vehicle done?

Last edited:
Reactions: K819 and AAKEE
@K819 just to be clear BMS recalibration does not increase actual range. The actual range is already there. The BMS interprets the battery signals to estimate what the actual range is. A recalibration just makes the estimate of the actual range a little bit more accurate. It really does not need to be done all the time - only when it drifts significantly and only if you really need to know with increased accuracy - such as when you need to go on a long trip where you need to go close to 0%. Remember the actual range does not dissapear if you dont do a BMS recalibration

Reactions: Lindenwood and K819
Thats really good for a potentially 4.5 year old vehicle
Could it have been any better? - possibly but you don't know how the previous owner charged that vehicle

BMS recalibration can be done occasionally regardless of battery type to bring what the BMS thinks is the usable range closer to the actual available range (less the reserve 4% that should be available when the BMS says 0%)

@K819 welcome to the SOC55 club - it costs nothing to join!. BTW how many miles has your vehicle done?
Thank you, you guys are amazing.

Mine did 27.5k miles. Overall, irrespective of my battery depletion, I am not happy with <3.5miles/kWh (calculating 150miles with 45kwh battery). I thought M3 will be above 3.5 in Cali weather. My model S was giving 3 with all that weight.

@K819 just to be clear BMS recalibration does not increase actual range. The actual range is already there. The BMS interprets the battery signals to estimate what the actual range is. A recalibration just makes the estimate of the actual range a little bit more accurate. It really does not need to be done all the time - only when it drifts significantly and only if you really need to know with increased accuracy - such as when you need to go on a long trip where you need to go close to 0%. Remember the actual range does not dissapear if you dont do a BMS recalibration
Of course

@AlanSubie4Life nailed it!

You do basically loose capacity on time, and very little on the miles. This is true for the 8 first years or so.

Calendar aging is cut by half just by reducing the SOC to 55% or below.
65% or above will double the rate compared to 55% or below.

You can search for my posts. Search for ”Calendar aging”

This pic is a teaser.
View attachment 959314
Great study. Did you share this with Elon on Twitter, what is his take? Just curious