Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range map thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep hearing there would be a flood of CPO Teslas coming up for sale. I wish I could buy brand new but that will never happen. But I worry if my driving style could fit a S60 or S85.

That being said I wish that Tesla could show you on their dash "this is as far as you can drive" at your current position at your current kW/hr consumption.

I remember seeing real estate maps that showed you how far a commute would take from a property with main roads and side roads at different speeds calculated in and would hope Tesla could consider that feature in their mapping function sometime.

I've included a screenshot of what a Model 60 could have with a 185mi battery range with normal consumption. Started at the St. Louis Arch. I used the website freemaptools
Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 9.02.05 AM.png

I agree with Edmond... I put together s similar map when buying, just to visualize the range.

But the car offers various range estimates that help when driving -- although EVTripPlanner tends to have more accurate estimates...

I use EVTripPlanner for trip planning (normally using 1.1 for the speed factor -- i.e. 10% faster than average speed on the leg). I note down the Rated Miles estimate from EVTripPlanner for each leg of a trip and make sure we have sufficient charge buffer (normally 20 RM above the estimate). Then when driving, I watch the energy graph and try to keep the % ending buffer from moving too much by driving about 5 over the limit unless the buffer drops, then I slow down to the limit for a bit...