TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Range map thoughts

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by kwjayhawk, Apr 30, 2016.

1. kwjayhawk

kwjayhawk Member

I keep hearing there would be a flood of CPO Teslas coming up for sale. I wish I could buy brand new but that will never happen. But I worry if my driving style could fit a S60 or S85.

That being said I wish that Tesla could show you on their dash "this is as far as you can drive" at your current position at your current kW/hr consumption.

I remember seeing real estate maps that showed you how far a commute would take from a property with main roads and side roads at different speeds calculated in and would hope Tesla could consider that feature in their mapping function sometime.

I've included a screenshot of what a Model 60 could have with a 185mi battery range with normal consumption. Started at the St. Louis Arch. I used the website freemaptools Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 9.02.05 AM.png

2. Edmond

Edmond Permanon

I think usually people have a specific destination in mind. Your map is most useful for those deciding which battery to buy.

3. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

I agree with Edmond... I put together s similar map when buying, just to visualize the range.

But the car offers various range estimates that help when driving -- although EVTripPlanner tends to have more accurate estimates...

I use EVTripPlanner for trip planning (normally using 1.1 for the speed factor -- i.e. 10% faster than average speed on the leg). I note down the Rated Miles estimate from EVTripPlanner for each leg of a trip and make sure we have sufficient charge buffer (normally 20 RM above the estimate). Then when driving, I watch the energy graph and try to keep the % ending buffer from moving too much by driving about 5 over the limit unless the buffer drops, then I slow down to the limit for a bit...