Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range opinions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s really impressive and would remove the one thing - beyond the wipers,TACC, incessant bonging- that really spoils it for me: the awful range.
Be really interesting to see long term figures for someone with LR and acceleration boost (assuming you don’t have it?)
You're right, I don't have acceleration boost. Would be interesting to see if there is a difference. I drive at normal traffic speeds. I don't drive over the limit, nor do I drive sedately, so it is a good result. We have also had several Zoe's and they don't get close to 4 mpkwh. Long distance run last weekend, we were around 3.2 mpkWh at 70mph in the ZE50.

• Informative
Reactions: candida
Be really interesting to see long term figures for someone with LR and acceleration boost (assuming you don’t have it?)
2020 LR delivered 4/4/20 with acceleration boost added 23/5/20. I’ve done 22k miles and lifetime average is 253wh/m. I usually stick at 67-68 on motorways, never precondition for supercharging and only really use AB when overtaking. A/C only used on hot summer days & heating in the cold months just set to 18.5-20C without A/C but often using the seat heater as well. During summer I frequently complete 30 or 40 mile round trip days around or sometimes well below 220wh/m.

The car also has the original 19” alloys & is pre-heat pump. I’ve been very happy with both range and efficiency, especially as those alloys are supposed to knock several % off the base 18”s.

My wife has her own EV so much of this usage is solo driving, I’m retired but use the car a lot volunteering throughout Cheshire & Merseyside. As long as I arrive when due, journey time is rarely a factor so my example is going to be pretty untypical although it does illustrate what can be achieved.

I certainly don’t drive like a nun but I do have my own driving habit (going with the traffic flow but occasionally using the cars’ power to press on just for the fun of it).

Last edited:
Driving style makes a huge difference, much like with ICE cars and MPG, but even more so IMO.

I have a Kona currently and it seems most people get about 230 miles out of a full charge, I never ever ever ever get less than 280 and that's if I'm doing 60-70 constantly. I do drive it on eco nearly all of the time to smooth out the acceleration etc.

Reactions: Buzzliteyear
I use Tezlab, with it's live view on the cars screen.
Instead of the War/M I can see miles driven compared to miles of range used. On the app you can see an elevation graph, so you can compared an outbound trip with the return trip. On one of way regular journeys I do 45 miles and use 12Kwhr going and as low as 9Kwhr return, ascending vs descending.

Headlights and wipers use next to nothing.

The wipers use a piddly little 12V motor, the lights are LED and also run off the 12V system.

The real killer is the increased rolling resistance from a wet road. The more water there is, the bigger the resistance.

At night, you’ll naturally be using more HVAC because the car will not be getting any solar gains through the windows.

The consumption in the op seems fine for two trips in a P without heat pump. The older Ps have about the same real range as a new SR+, it’s even born out in the WLTP numbers.