Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range question on a 2016 MX p90d with 81k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, I am close to purchasing a 2016 MX p90D with 81k miles on it. When charged to 100% its showing 223miles, at 90% charge it shows 205 miles. I commute around 40 miles each way into work on a daily basis. I was wondering if you could ballpark for me how many miles left I would have on a round trip from work to home? note I drive like an old lady. Tough question to answer but I was hoping for a couple ballpark answers. Thanks in advance for any insight

my commute is 50mi roundtrip n i get home with about 50-55% (from 90%), car sits for 12hr at work.
2016 90d, i get about 1.5mi/% in winter n 1.8/% in summer. wheel size matter too. most range impact is from going >65mph
never look at mi display...

have a look here:

You'll want to charge to a max 90% battery for daily commute of 80 miles roundtrip. Factors such as elevation, cold temp, hot temp, heater, A/C, cabin overheat mode, all affect range. On paper, you're thinking you'll have 125 miles left (205-80) but in reality it might be closer to 100, again depending on multiple factors. Without knowing all the variables, I would guess if you commuted 80 miles in total and charged to 90% with 205, your range left would be 90-110 miles. There's no problem with charging your car up every night before you commute to work.

Average energy use is around
my commute is 50mi roundtrip n i get home with about 50-55% (from 90%), car sits for 12hr at work.
2016 90d, i get about 1.5mi/% in winter n 1.8/% in summer. wheel size matter too. most range impact is from going >65mph
never look at mi display...

have a look here:

Those are good stats thanks for sharing, I basically want to know I’ll get at the very least 150 miles out of one charge to 90% in the p90D. That’s my requirement for purchasing this,

You'll want to charge to a max 90% battery for daily commute of 80 miles roundtrip. Factors such as elevation, cold temp, hot temp, heater, A/C, cabin overheat mode, all affect range. On paper, you're thinking you'll have 125 miles left (205-80) but in reality it might be closer to 100, again depending on multiple factors. Without knowing all the variables, I would guess if you commuted 80 miles in total and charged to 90% with 205, your range left would be 90-110 miles. There's no problem with charging your car up every night before you commute to work.
Thanks! Very helpful

I basically want to know I’ll get at the very least 150 miles out of one charge to 90%
Same vehicle, same mileage, same estimated range at 90%. You should easily get 150 miles with a 90% charge in warm weather. I usually get 2 miles pert percent charge in the summer. In freezing temps or heavy rain, 150 should be achievable but you might be in single digits battery percentage at the end of your trip.

Also, if you have access to the vehicle, snap a picture of the battery label under the vehicle by the front passenger wheel and google the numbers to verify it's not a V1 pack.

Reactions: henderrj
Hello all, I am close to purchasing a 2016 MX p90D with 81k miles on it. When charged to 100% its showing 223miles, at 90% charge it shows 205 miles. I commute around 40 miles each way into work on a daily basis. I was wondering if you could ballpark for me how many miles left I would have on a round trip from work to home? note I drive like an old lady. Tough question to answer but I was hoping for a couple ballpark answers. Thanks in advance for any insight
Starting at 90%, I am going to make a WAG, around 70-80 miles. Perhaps less if you take out any aggression on the accelerator pedal.

I have a 90D with 73k miles, 20" wheels, 207 @ 90%, and also commute 40 miles each way (10 miles surface streets, 30 miles highway, SoCal traffic). Going to work typically takes 15-17%, going home, 19-21%, round trip about 36%. I charge to 90% and can go two days between charges. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Qan2510
Same vehicle, same mileage, same estimated range at 90%. You should easily get 150 miles with a 90% charge in warm weather. I usually get 2 miles pert percent charge in the summer. In freezing temps or heavy rain, 150 should be achievable but you might be in single digits battery percentage at the end of your trip.

Also, if you have access to the vehicle, snap a picture of the battery label under the vehicle by the front passenger wheel and google the numbers to verify it's not a V1 pack.
What is a V1 pack?

I’m Presuming you are in Miami area and your commute will be a mix of local and highway driving?

if so, you will very easily be able to handle 80 miles of driving per day while charging at 90%. With my old 2016 x, I would lose best case 25% driving at high speed in inclement weather with winds in Florida.

I’m Presuming you are in Miami area and your commute will be a mix of local and highway driving?

if so, you will very easily be able to handle 80 miles of driving per day while charging at 90%. With my old 2016 x, I would lose best case 25% driving at high speed in inclement weather with winds in Florida.
Thank you, appreciate the feedback. What’s the difference in range with 22inch rims/tires in the Model x 2016 p90D?