Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rated range on your car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting 221 miles with a 90% charge after 16 months and 15,000 miles. Seems to be on the low side. Will do a 100% charge on 5.9 at some point but probably not in the 250s but will see.

Last edited:
Go to Controls>Settings>Vehicle and turn on range mode. This will stop the car from using energy to heat the battery pack in cold weather, letting waste heat warm it up instead. Only downside is reduced regen for a bit, and possibly a little bit of reduced horsepower for a little while the pack is still cold. However, you'll see an improvement of about 100 Wh/mi when doing this.

If you can't crack 400 wh/mi, this is likely why.

(By the way, I can often average the low 300s at 70 mph in the winter with range mode on).

Screenshot_2014-03-23-17-30-27.png

I picked up my s85 last Thurs and its got about 500 miles on it.

Go to Controls>Settings>Vehicle and turn on range mode. This will stop the car from using energy to heat the battery pack in cold weather, letting waste heat warm it up instead. Only downside is reduced regen for a bit, and possibly a little bit of reduced horsepower for a little while the pack is still cold. However, you'll see an improvement of about 100 Wh/mi when doing this.

If you can't crack 400 wh/mi, this is likely why.

(By the way, I can often average the low 300s at 70 mph in the winter with range mode on).

Great advice, Todd. We often do short trips (<10 miles), park for a few hours, 10 more miles, park, etc. When external temps are -20F, the battery is spending the driving periods heating, thus my average wh/mi is usually high 400's. This should help that.
After roughly 14 months and 12,000 miles, I see 236 for 90% and 268-271 for max range. I honestly think it really depends on when you physically see the "top off". What I mean is yours may hit 270 but if you look at it a couple hours after it finished, it may have trickled down to a lesser number. Also, I have seen minor changes after the SW updates. It's simply an algorithm change and not a degradation of your battery.

All -

With 5.9 I am at 205 on an 80% charge but still at about 254/255 on a max range 100% charge. Car is 14 months old and just shy of 30k miles.

5.9 boosted my 80% charge by 10 miles.

Aaron