Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, we know what a rattle is, what causes it, and why it's annoying.
Very good and thank you for a very polite reply. But please understand the explanation I urged to post was never meant to offend anyone. The only reason I decided to post it is that the way the issue is communicated by some SC is that it is barely a sound wave while unfortunately this is not always the case. Ref. my previous reply.

On a separate topic I dare to mention that people reporting this problem have been fed something that looks like a globally similar and centrally coordinated message for approx. a YEAR now.

We, TMS owners, are Tesla enthusiasts. We consciously chose the revolutionary brad. Can Tesla resolve this issue or not? What are the good people at Tesla are waiting for?! This is a serious issue reported in about 11 countries all over the World. It does hurt both the people and the brand. Why is this necessary?

You are very welcome to participate in the questionary: Rattle noise coming from front air suspension

Thank you! I have already participated.

Noise is still gone btw after replacing the struts. Athough I am very sensitive for the noise. Sometimes I think I hear the rattle in the morning when the outside temperature is lower. But lowering the volume of the radio tells me the car is silent. Perhaps the problem is inside my spine and I need to be less afraid that the problem returns. In the midday the car is really dead silent.

I read that the problem is not the struts but the strut mounts or something. Maybe they thightened the bollts right this time with replacing the struts and will the problem return in the future. For now I enjoy the car and I will follow this thread carefully for a definitive solution. Thanks guys!

• Informative
Reactions: daktari
I got my car back. Here are some thoughts.

Front Air Spring Module (shock) was replaced. I was also told there was some loose wiring in the front by the A/C parts, that could've also been the problem in the rattling.

I absolutely notice a difference now. It's not 100%, so I'll probably have to schedule another appointment. Before the rattle would happen over even the smallest bumps, now it doesn't really do that. However, I'll still hear the rattle over serious road bumping.

So the fix did do something, though not 100%. Which makes me believe this is in fact some kind of shock/strut/suspension module problem. Perhaps I'll have to mention the struts.

• Informative
Reactions: Dragetreneren
Meanwhile, for an unrelated service visit they gave me a freshly-built P100D whose AC was silent, and didn't have the rattle. When I pointed this out to the SA, they said "Well, it's a different model year, so they're probably made improvements."

This is a 110k car, these are problems that need to be fixed!!!

Meanwhile, for an unrelated service visit they gave me a freshly-built P100D whose AC was silent, and didn't have the rattle. When I pointed this out to the SA, they said "Well, it's a different model year, so they're probably made improvements."

This is a 110k car, these are problems that need to be fixed!!!

Have had an anecdotal encounter in one of the SC. Literally, I have been told that the rattle is not a defect but more like a property.

Have had an anecdotal encounter in one of the SC. Literally, I have been told that the rattle is not a defect but more like a property.

I have been to the service center in Trondheim with the same rattle noise and they have confirmed it is a known error and that engineering is looking into it. I was told I was to be contacted when a fix is available.... mhm...

Besides the very annoying sound the car makes and the fact that this should not be an issue on a car at this price, can anyone tell me:

Does this have any effect on the cars safety?
Does this have any effect on the cars handling/comfort (besides making sound)?
Effect the tires, ware unevenly etc.?
Any other know effects what so ever?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Bebop
Anyone in the Seattle/Bellevue area had reported this to SC? Any feedback?

I had it looked at (Bellevue) and was told known problem, engineering looking at it. They did re torqued the front suspension however, didn't change anything. The problem was put in the system however they ask me to remind them at next visit. That was in late March I think.

Besides the very annoying sound the car makes and the fact that this should not be an issue on a car at this price, can anyone tell me:

Does this have any effect on the cars safety?
Does this have any effect on the cars handling/comfort (besides making sound)?
Effect the tires, ware unevenly etc.?
Any other know effects what so ever?

Provided the questions you ask I realy encourage you to read through the whole thread. You will find interesting feedback.

The problem has some dynamics, i.e. is getting worse/different with time as one drives the vehicle. Some people experience a lot of trouble and some hardly notice anything - depending on different factors. But the fact of it being a mechanical vibration will not change: Rattle noise coming from front air suspension

Vibration is dangerous. For both, people and equipment. How dangerous it is depends on the amplitude, frequency and the length of exposure. One can probably suggest a Master thesis on the effects of this particular problem on the vehicle and the driver. But simply put, there should not be this problem in a new vehicle.

On my vehicle I do notice a change in driving comfort. I have confirmed it when driving various other TMS vehicles without this problem. An essential difference.
Probably the tires will ware more than without that problem, but how significant will be that change I cannot tell yet.

The message all Tesla SC around the globe have been communicating for almost a year now is consistent and very similar. But given the time that has passed it is very hard to tell when the solution is actually coming and what that solution would be. In the communication with SC the noise has been the focus of the topic. With that I am realy sceptical if Tesla is focusing on the core problem or just on demping the noise. It is very hard to trust that they actually prioritize this problem and if real solution that resolves the core of the problem will ever come. I am sorry, but at this point unless Elon Musk comes to this thread, explains the core of the problem, explains the solution and sets a deadline for deployment I consider the handling of the problem as unserious. As the time passes I am starting loosing faith in this car manufacturer generally.

Reactions: arlorose
Status on 20 July, 2018. Important to notice the fact that the issue has been reported from owners in 12 different countries. More than half of people are actively attempting to land a solution and for 22% the issue is so critical that they are not willing to wait for repair!

Disclaimer: Please look away from the number of answers since the questionary has a very little exposure.

Attachments

• status_july_20_2018.jpg
    status_july_20_2018.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 88
Provided the questions you ask I realy encourage you to read through the whole thread. You will find interesting feedback.

The problem has some dynamics, i.e. is getting worse/different with time as one drives the vehicle. Some people experience a lot of trouble and some hardly notice anything - depending on different factors. But the fact of it being a mechanical vibration will not change: Rattle noise coming from front air suspension

Vibration is dangerous. For both, people and equipment. How dangerous it is depends on the amplitude, frequency and the length of exposure. One can probably suggest a Master thesis on the effects of this particular problem on the vehicle and the driver. But simply put, there should not be this problem in a new vehicle.

On my vehicle I do notice a change in driving comfort. I have confirmed it when driving various other TMS vehicles without this problem. An essential difference.
Probably the tires will ware more than without that problem, but how significant will be that change I cannot tell yet.

The message all Tesla SC around the globe have been communicating for almost a year now is consistent and very similar. But given the time that has passed it is very hard to tell when the solution is actually coming and what that solution would be. In the communication with SC the noise has been the focus of the topic. With that I am realy sceptical if Tesla is focusing on the core problem or just on demping the noise. It is very hard to trust that they actually prioritize this problem and if real solution that resolves the core of the problem will ever come. I am sorry, but at this point unless Elon Musk comes to this thread, explains the core of the problem, explains the solution and sets a deadline for deployment I consider the handling of the problem as unserious. As the time passes I am starting loosing faith in this car manufacturer generally.

In Norway we have Forbrukerkjøpsloven that states that all errors must be fixed within a reasonable amount of time. If not the manufacturer has to provide you with a replacement product or you can return the product for a refund. My car is an April 2018 model, and 1 month ago they confirmed this being an issue.
Are you aware of any action taken by Norwegian owners and the results?

In my service report they state that there is no safety issues related to this noise. And that the car is perfectly safe to drive. My question is, how can they be so sure about this, if they do not know what is causing the noise? If they do know, why aren’t they fixing it?

In Norway we have Forbrukerkjøpsloven that states that all errors must be fixed within a reasonable amount of time. If not the manufacturer has to provide you with a replacement product or you can return the product for a refund. My car is an April 2018 model, and 1 month ago they confirmed this being an issue.
Are you aware of any action taken by Norwegian owners and the results?

In my service report they state that there is no safety issues related to this noise. And that the car is perfectly safe to drive. My question is, how can they be so sure about this, if they do not know what is causing the noise? If they do know, why aren’t they fixing it?
Yes. Some owners, including myself, have taken an active stanse, appealed to Forbrukerrådet and consider to file a collective lawsuit.

Yes. Some owners, including myself, have taken an active stanse, appealed to Forbrukerrådet and consider to file a collective lawsuit.

Sign me in! How do I join/register my case with yours? I have already talked to them previously about this. They recommended me to have them pursue this issue, and that this was not the first case they have encountered.

Also, what outcome are you aiming/hoping for? Full refund, re-delivery, discount?

I had it looked at (Bellevue) and was told known problem, engineering looking at it. They did re torqued the front suspension however, didn't change anything. The problem was put in the system however they ask me to remind them at next visit. That was in late March I think.
When I told them after the first 3 days with the car a technician came with me and acknowledged it. But when I picked up the car the report said: we could not reproduce. I was in a hurry and I did not comment but I reported to the service manager. I will go back and have this checked. They did the same thing - tightened the suspension - what is that???? Really? I have zero experience with the Bellevue SC but it does not look too experienced to me. Maybe Seattle is better?
The rattle is not too bad but I hear it, it is there and at some point they need to fix it. I hope everyone will go report so we get the proper attention. I am asking California and Washington that have a lot of cars on the road.