Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sign me in! How do I join/register my case with yours? I have already talked to them previously about this. They recommended me to have them pursue this issue, and that this was not the first case they have encountered.

Also, what outcome are you aiming/hoping for? Full refund, re-delivery, discount?
I do not have a mandate to represent the group, but I can share my impression of the common opinion.
We are open for alternatives and still have a tiny hope for a repair. Other than that, we do not need discounts. We need a working vehicle without issues. With that, delivery is the preferable alternative and the next one is a full refund.

Why can't we all sign a letter to Elon Musk first, before trying to sue Tesla? If it's a safety issue I could understand. Do I want the rattle to go away yes, but it's very faint so I can deal with it at the moment. Suing Tesla is not the answer if we all want this company to succeed. I know I do.

Reactions: Buster1
Why can't we all sign a letter to Elon Musk first, before trying to sue Tesla? If it's a safety issue I could understand. Do I want the rattle to go away yes, but it's very faint so I can deal with it at the moment. Suing Tesla is not the answer if we all want this company to succeed. I know I do.
I think it is absolutely safe to assume that people buy cars to serve a purpose - get them from A to B. In an expected way. It is absolutely safe to drive a horse carriage as well as a car. But then buyers expect to get what was promised when they choose one of dozens of car manufacturers. It is a contract. I am expected to respect that as well as Tesla.
Now, I have been patient for over half a year. Others for about a year. Who said anybody "wants" to sue Tesla? But when Tesla engineering has been working on a solution for such a long period of time in a company like Tesla I have two concurrent assumptions: 1. Tesla has downprioritized the problem. 2. Tesla is incapable of finding a solution whether that is a technical challenge or a challenge in relationships with subcontractors.
In case of (1) I choose to re-deliver, provided new cars do not have this issue.
In case of (2) I want a full refund and probably never get back to Tesla again; may be reconsider.

How to proceed?
1. Contact Tesla SC.
2. If (1) didn't work - contact escalation team.
3. If (2) didn't work - appeal to legal counsel.

I am sorry, but I have been doing (1) and (2) for long time with zero result.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkKW
I will... but is there something I've missed that would preclude my vintage car from having the same issue?

It seems dead-on what's been described here...

The problems started with a change in the manufacturer of the struts, this was well after the time your car was made, so unless you have has the struts replaced since new, it is not likely to be the cause of your problem.

Reactions: Dragetreneren
My question is, how can they be so sure about this, if they do not know what is causing the noise? If they do know, why aren’t they fixing it?

Just because they know what the issue is doesn't mean it can be fixed instantly. They may have to redesign parts, test them, get them manufactured, test them again, and then get them out to everyone for repairs.

My thoughts are that at this point Tesla on a national level should be acknowledging the issue. I don't understand how a company doesn't seem to understand the issue on a company wide basis since they don't have independent dealers. I can understand that the fix can take time, and they need to test it, etc, to make sure it's safe. It's not a safety issue we've been told so that's good. It's a rattle. I have a friend who told me that it could be perfectly normal for the car to make that noise. With an electric car since we don't have an engine, we notice other noises that could be muted by one. I think the issue is fixable. I want it fixed if possible. Again with the music on I don't hear it, but I'd still like it fixed.

Just because they know what the issue is doesn't mean it can be fixed instantly. They may have to redesign parts, test them, get them manufactured, test them again, and then get them out to everyone for repairs.

Of course. So what is the status now?

It has gone a year and it is hard to expect that owners will be able to maintain patience any longer. It is also hard to believe that Tesla are incapable to deliver solution that resolves the problem 100%. This is not how the company positions itself on the marked.

Meanwhile, service centers still diligently communicate the same message and do not provide any commitments. It hurts both customers and the brand. More owners taking an active position instead of seating and waiting. This goes from communicating with Tesla via service centers to appealing to legal counsel when patience has been exhausted.

More than that, the time that Tesla needed to deploy new solution (when?) has been deliberately taken by the company from respective owners. Even though this challenge needs to be resolved individually between Tesla and respective customers, it is still an open question. Let's hope that is clear.

My thoughts are that at this point Tesla on a national level should be acknowledging the issue. I don't understand how a company doesn't seem to understand the issue on a company wide basis since they don't have independent dealers. I can understand that the fix can take time, and they need to test it, etc, to make sure it's safe. It's not a safety issue we've been told so that's good. It's a rattle. I have a friend who told me that it could be perfectly normal for the car to make that noise. With an electric car since we don't have an engine, we notice other noises that could be muted by one. I think the issue is fixable. I want it fixed if possible. Again with the music on I don't hear it, but I'd still like it fixed.

Rattle comes from vibration and isn't merely a noise. All 11 speakers are inside the cabin.

There are different grades of the problem. The problem progresses and then varies. At some point the comfort becomes perceivably different. It causes other noises from the middle console as well.

Before this problem affects comfort and has other consequences it would only be a slight rattle as if you were driving in studded tires on asfalt. Yes this is only how it starts.

The problem is at international level. It has been reported by owners in 12 counotries worldwide.

Last edited:
Moderator request - @bmah ?

Can we update the title of this thread to eliminate the "air" suspension reference? I've summarily ignored this thread for nearly six months because it appeared to be related to air suspension, not the coils that my car has. After becoming increasingly frustrated trying to chase down a rattle, I came here in desperation and read all 22 pages to find out this is EXACTLY the problem I'm experiencing with my Dec '16 MS 75 RWD.

I see others like @jelloslug indicating this isn't an air suspension thing - but a suspension thing. Can we update the thread title to hopefully save the next schmuck like me some headache?

Can we update the title of this thread to eliminate the "air" suspension reference? I've summarily ignored this thread for nearly six months because it appeared to be related to air suspension, not the coils that my car has. After becoming increasingly frustrated trying to chase down a rattle, I came here in desperation and read all 22 pages to find out this is EXACTLY the problem I'm experiencing with my Dec '16 MS 75 RWD.

I see others like @jelloslug indicating this isn't an air suspension thing - but a suspension thing. Can we update the thread title to hopefully save the next schmuck like me some headache?

Thread title updated. In the future, a more effective way to request something like would be to report a post (any post) in this thread and use that to say what you want done. That way the report goes to the half-dozen or so people who have moderator privileges for this forum (instead of just one). It also avoids a WTF moment when I get an alert for being mentioned in a thread I've never even read before. :)

Bruce.

Reactions: ucmndd and daktari

Since your report is very special it would be fair to this thread to post confirmation from your SC as well as video where this issue is recorded.

Otherwise you might be soliciting this topic with a something that seems irrelevant in the scope of the issue being discussed, being Dual motor vehicles produced 2017/18.

Thank you.

Reactions: Bebop
Since your report is very special it would be fair to this thread to post confirmation from your SC as well as video where this issue is recorded.

Otherwise you might be soliciting this topic with a something that seems irrelevant in the scope of the issue being discussed, being Dual motor vehicles produced 2017/18.

Thank you.

From what I’ve read there’s at least one other person in this thread that has been posting all along indicating the same problem with non-air suspension, and a few others indicating the same issue without dual motors. I suspect the scope has been assumed based on option distribution - very few cars percentage-wise were manufactured during this period without air suspension and dual motors.

I’ll get a video later today, but I’ve listened to every video posted in this thread multiple times and read every description of the noise and the conditions under which it’s present and they exactly match my experience.