Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m >750 miles now since getting the struts replaced and still rattle-free!
Same here...very happy.
Mine were replaced on 11/27.
A lot of miles for me so far in less than a month.
2,355 miles driven including an 1100+ mile 2-day road trip this past Friday & Saturday.
It might be a good idea for a poll to actually figure out the success rate and if it trends towards certain builds...
Mine is a March 2018 Model S 100D with Stock 19” Slipstream Wheels/Stock Tires.

• Love
Reactions: woes
Same here...very happy.
Mine were replaced on 11/27.
A lot of miles for me so far in less than a month.
2,355 miles driven including an 1100+ mile 2-day road trip this past Friday & Saturday.
It might be a good idea for a poll to actually figure out the success rate and if it trends towards certain builds...
Mine is a March 2018 Model S 100D with Stock 19” Slipstream Wheels/Stock Tires.

The problem is still unresolved. Even with 77-C.

Those of you with "positive" result - please do not spam this thread with "happy messages". Point's taken. Come back when the problem has returned. Unless you have another agenda than to contribute to the complete solution.

The problem is still unresolved. Even with 77-C.

Those of you with "positive" result - please do not spam this thread with "happy messages". Point's taken. Come back when the problem has returned. Unless you have another agenda than to contribute to the complete solution.

I fail to see how people with the issue resolved are spamming the thread. Some of us aren’t having the rattle noise with the 77-C part. That’s noteworthy.

I’ve had a bunch of things done to my car previously that didn’t end up fixing the problem, including one of the prior strut revisions, having the steering rack replaced and having the washer fluid reservoir riveted to the firewall. Each of those “fixes” improved the issue somewhat.

It’s possible in these cars with continued rattling that the struts aren’t the only issue and perhaps some of these other “fixes” need to be attempted if they haven’t yet.

I fail to see how people with the issue resolved are spamming the thread. Some of us aren’t having the rattle noise with the 77-C part. That’s noteworthy.

I’ve had a bunch of things done to my car previously that didn’t end up fixing the problem, including one of the prior strut revisions, having the steering rack replaced and having the washer fluid reservoir riveted to the firewall. Each of those “fixes” improved the issue somewhat.

It’s possible in these cars with continued rattling that the struts aren’t the only issue and perhaps some of these other “fixes” need to be attempted if they haven’t yet.

When same people keep posting "happy messages" over and over again that does not bring any value. Unless you can describe the value that is bringing to the thread. If not - it should be avoided since this thread is already very long.

I'd hope there is something else that could be done, but the facts are:
1. The issue disappeared after replacement of struts (confirmed by SC).
2. The issue started to come back and slightly over one week has become similar to how it started.
3. It has gotten worse over the time (3 weeks later) and is getting even worse. It feels as if the high frequency movements aren't handled as they should. Or may be they do, but there is something that is inhibiting the function of the struts, I cannot tell.

If I was to follow your advice, I would expect a different symptomatics. Namely, I would expect it to manifest itself immediately after replacement. But the immediate effect was so positive that I felt I got the car I have had the first few weeks since delivery. Yes, I was lucky enough to get the car without the effects of the design problem. It started to manifest itself shortly after I started using suspension leveling.

But if you have any ideas on how to fix this, please share. There is already a good bunch of people who have desperately tried to remain Tesla customers and loosing faith as they see how this issue is handled. Including myself.

Now, this problem has been in focus at Tesla Engineering for over 1.5 years and still unresolved. Are you telling me that Tesla decided to stop trying to resolve it?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
So I just picked up my car from the SC and they didn't fix the car. Said they didn't have the part and it wasn't available on the east coast. Anyone else heard of this? They said possibly next week and they'd have to pull some strings to get it.

I got a similar quote from the service center in Maryland, that the part is extremely difficult to get right now. However, it happened to show up way sooner than expected and was installed when the car was in for a few other minor issues.

Reactions: GreenMachina
When same people keep posting "happy messages" over and over again that does not bring any value. Unless you can describe the value that is bringing to the thread. If not - it should be avoided since this thread is already very long.

2. The issue started to come back and slightly over one week has become similar to how it started.
3. It has gotten worse over the time (3 weeks later) and is getting even worse. It feels as if the high frequency movements aren't handled as they should. Or may be they do, but there is something that is inhibiting the function of the struts, I cannot tell.

If I was to follow your advice, I would expect a different symptomatics. Namely, I would expect it to manifest itself immediately after replacement. But the immediate effect was so positive that I felt I got the car I have had the first few weeks since delivery. Yes, I was lucky enough to get the car without the effects of the design problem. It started to manifest itself shortly after I started using suspension leveling.

But if you have any ideas on how to fix this, please share. There is already a good bunch of people who have desperately tried to remain Tesla customers and loosing faith as they see how this issue is handled. Including myself.

Now, this problem has been in focus at Tesla Engineering for over 1.5 years and still unresolved. Are you telling me that Tesla decided to stop trying to resolve it?

I have had the same experience as you. They are changing the suspension again tomorrow. Tesla stated to me that there has been a further fix to the revised suspension. I will let you know how it goes bro.

There's at least one reason I can think of that this thread is very long.

PS. New struts fixed it for me. ;)

Not a happy message...
Got my car (2018 S75D) back yesterday after replacement of struts. Issue NOT solved completely, may be 50% less rattle and somehow better driving comfort.
Got a loaner while car was at SC over X-mas, a 2015 P85D with air suspension and almost 100 000 km on the clock. That cars suspension was totally quiet and going much smother on rough surface. Also driving comfort was better and steering was both lighter and felt more directly. How is that possible?
By the way, when asking SC if this fix was permanent: "Yes, but we had some problems with parts that were marked with "new revision" but in fact it was the old struts..."
Seems like it happened again...

D6529655-6CA4-4F26-9ECB-805F085443B0.jpeg
Morning Guys,

My car just went in to have the shock absorbers changed. Luckily, the replacement shock absorbers were outside so I took a quick photo of them.

I will let you guys know if the rattle sound has gone but given my past experience I will drive it for a couple of weeks before giving a final verdict!!

View attachment 364305 Morning Guys,

My car just went in to have the shock absorbers changed. Luckily, the replacement shock absorbers were outside so I took a quick photo of them.

I will let you guys know if the rattle sound has gone but given my past experience I will drive it for a couple of weeks before giving a final verdict!!

Here is what was installed on my vehicle a few weeks ago:

20181205_094342.jpg
20181205_094229.jpg

Just been told my car is ready to collect. Apparently the last change in shock absorbers was the same part number but it may have been a ‘bad batch’.

Fingers crossed!

If you care to take a picture of the shock absorber part number from Bilstein that might give a clue.

Here is today's recording with the revised parts 1067361-77-C installed:
Link Sharing
(Expires: 29 Dec 2018)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: CaliSol