Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have this issue as well as a low frequency rumble from the from end. The rumble is really annoying but the service tech I took for a test ride didn't think it was a problem.
I believe the rumble and the rattle are related- the rumble to me indicates a more serious failure in the front suspension. Will be scheduling an appointment soon.

• Informative
Reactions: Dragetreneren
I have had the rattle since I took delivery of my RHD Model S in March of this year. They replaced both Air Spring Modules on Friday last and the issue is certainly solved - hopefully permanently! The parts detailed as being used were : AIR SPRING MODULE FR - MS2 DM (1067361-77-C)

I thought that I'd circle back and update this thread. New Air Spring Modules were installed just over two months ago now on 02 Nov - and I'm happy to report, some 6195 kms later, the suspension has remained rattle free.. (As for the dash being rattle free, that's another story..!).

Al right, since everybody is sharing their happy messages I will join the gang, even for a shortwhile.

After replacing 25-C struts with 77-C I got almost completely vibration and harshess + rattling free - for whole TWO DAYS.

The rattling have come back quickly and the full package is back in full approximately in one month.

• Informative
Reactions: daktari
Al right, since everybody is sharing their happy messages I will join the gang, even for a shortwhile.

After replacing 25-C struts with 77-C I got almost completely vibration and harshess + rattling free - for whole TWO DAYS.

The rattling have come back quickly and the full package is back in full approximately in one month.
Why don't you ask for another replacement? If you have, what did they say? Maybe you got a bad part??

Reactions: daktari and MP3Mike

I still hope that somebody else who recently got the 77C exchange will report. I refused an appointment unless I do have a more reliable information whether the "fix" is really the "fix". If not I will rather proceed along the line of the lemon law equivalent in Germany

Reactions: Dragetreneren
I got my 77C fix installed almost a month ago now and I have driven nearly 3500km on them. I noticed perhaps a very slight return of the sound, but it is way less than the original suspension part so I'm still ok with it. It definitely is significantly dampened. Lets see how it goes as time passes.

• Informative
Reactions: daktari
I got my 77C fix installed almost a month ago now and I have driven nearly 3500km on them. I noticed perhaps a very slight return of the sound, but it is way less than the original suspension part so I'm still ok with it. It definitely is significantly dampened. Lets see how it goes as time passes.

did the driving characteristics improve as well, steering wheel less vibration ?

I have a Model S from july 2018. With the know rattling sound but also with strong moaning sounds when driving over considerable bumps in regular streets. The struts have been replaced now. At the TSC in Rotterdam. But the moaning issue still unresolved.

I have the issue as well on my March 18 S75D, had them replace the front tower strut with no luck, then 25-C part and it didn't' fix it. They took it back in and replaced with the 77-C part. It has come back again. I this just annoying of safety related?

I have the issue as well on my March 18 S75D, had them replace the front tower strut with no luck, then 25-C part and it didn't' fix it. They took it back in and replaced with the 77-C part. It has come back again. I this just annoying of safety related?
Read this:
Symptoms of a Bad or Failing Strut Assembly | YourMechanic Advice
and this:
https://www.cars.com/articles/what-problems-do-worn-suspension-bushings-cause-1420681259213/

Presumably, the issue is with strut bushings. This is not confirmed though. I can only tell that symptoms seem to concur.

After a mechanical engineer named "Andrew" at Tesla headquarters used me and my 2018 Model S (Mar 2018) as guinea pigs in the summer of 2018 by having a "temporary fix" installed for the front strut problem, the Dublin California Service Center then installed the "permanent fix" in Sep 2018.

The rattle was 100% gone for for a few months, but then this past December, I noticed it coming back...and according to a Telsa mobile technician, my car was reporting "valve block leaks" in their diagnostic testing at that time.

So, when I was in LA in December, the Agoura Hills Tesla Service Center replaced the valve blocks, but said they couldn't detect any rattling.

Well, ever since they replaced the valve blocks, the car has been riding rougher (every little bump is felt), and the strut rattle is still present.

My car is going back into the Dublin California Service Center at the end of January to get this all addressed and fixed (hopefully).

With all the technology available to Tesla, how is it so hard to build (and fix) their cars so that they ride as comfortably and rattle-free as a $100G car should? Right now, I feel like a bought a Model T instead of a Model S!! Amazingly enough, a Tesla technician once said to me, "Well, you're not paying for the build, you're paying for the technology, so just turn up the music in the car and you won't hear the rattles."

True story!!!

I was so glad to find this thread. After 2 full weeks of tearing the entire suspension system out, and then removing the full dash because I didn't find anything there, I literally walked in the house and was about to invest in a Kleenex stock. My wife, who has no mechanical ability says "well did you google it?". "What the $&Q#$^!!! I don't need to google it...oh wait....here is a thread that started last year...thanks honey..."

To cap it off (note this is her 2017 90D) she says "oh, I don't even notice it so why did you waste all that time?" Mic drops and she walks out...I bought the Kleenex stock.

Having the same rattle on my s75d 2017. SeC mechanic did a test drive with me and said its clearly that the shock absorbers need to be replaced. Since then im waiting for almost 2 months with an uncomfotable rattling car with no sight of an solution yet because they dont know when they have them in stock again. In my point of view this is inacceptable and im thinking of going the legal way here unfortunately.

Reactions: Inside and emmz0r