Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to forum, have the same noise in my Dec 2018 100D. It’s going in on Friday. I spend 2hrs reading all 49 pages of this topic last night. Sounds like the 77-C, Steering Rack, and maybe some sway bar adjustments are the top things to look into? If you guys want me to mention anything else on friday let me know and I’ll report back.

Reactions: Dragetreneren
Hey all - sorry I'm so late to the discussion, but wanted to share a story with you regarding my '17 Model S 100D that recently had a rattle in the front trunk area through the firewall that a technician identified (by removing the front strut supports and test driving) and isolated as a broken weld on one of the strut supports. they ordered two new supports and struts, replaced them all, and everything I had been hearing went away along with the gain of tighter handling on turns.

I'm obviously in a "your mileage may vary" situation here, but can't imagine this isn't applicable to anyone else with a front end rattle... Might be worth checking it out if other options are turning up empty.

Cheers!

New to forum, have the same noise in my Dec 2018 100D. It’s going in on Friday. I spend 2hrs reading all 49 pages of this topic last night. Sounds like the 77-C, Steering Rack, and maybe some sway bar adjustments are the top things to look into? If you guys want me to mention anything else on friday let me know and I’ll report back.

I am aware about these two at least:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10148826-9999.pdf
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2017/MC-10110754-9999.pdf

There might be more.

Hey all - sorry I'm so late to the discussion, but wanted to share a story with you regarding my '17 Model S 100D that recently had a rattle in the front trunk area through the firewall that a technician identified (by removing the front strut supports and test driving) and isolated as a broken weld on one of the strut supports. they ordered two new supports and struts, replaced them all, and everything I had been hearing went away along with the gain of tighter handling on turns.

I'm obviously in a "your mileage may vary" situation here, but can't imagine this isn't applicable to anyone else with a front end rattle... Might be worth checking it out if other options are turning up empty.

Cheers!
Can you please explain what you mean by strut support? Did you mean strut tower braces? There is only one weld I can see, but while it does not carry any significant forces - how could that contribute to the rattle?
s-l640.jpg

Part #601: https://patentimages.storage.google...b30d8042f/US20120169023A1-20120705-D00006.png

I would also like to mention strut tower braces can contribute to the clicking noise (separate concern). Was this something your SC will address with the new part?

Last edited:
So I have just read through the last 15 pages or so and it seems many think this rattling/knocking sound only applies to facelifted cars starting from 2016.

I can however confirm that my Dec 2015 Model S 85D with air suspension and 21" Turbines have the exact same issue. I (and the SC) had kind of given up on the issue, but I thought I'd chime in any way. I live in Denmark btw.
I have what appears to be the exact same issue on my 2013.

Thanks @Dragetreneren I had the first but not the second. I’ll definitely share these on Friday.

If anyone else has things they want me to mention/ask about, just let me know.

Please mention the driving comfort issue (kind of wobble)! Many of us who got the struts replaced (two times on my MS march 2018) experienced a significant improvement until both rattle and wobble is coming back...

2018 75D built in May. Initially flawless. Developed "the rattle" probably 2 months after delivery. Went in October to SC. Waited until March to have the adaptive air spring module x 2 (1067361-77-C) replaced. So far, "the rattle" is gone but something tells me (from this post) that it's going to come back...

Last edited:
I got the 77-C part installed in mid February, and I have been using the lower/raise function a fair bit because of snow. So far the rattle is still gone, and the car continues to feel better then before the change of struts. Didn’t take km in feb, but I believe distance since then is 1500 km ish...

Reactions: MP3Mike
I got the 77-C part installed in mid February, and I have been using the lower/raise function a fair bit because of snow. So far the rattle is still gone, and the car continues to feel better then before the change of struts. Didn’t take km in feb, but I believe distance since then is 1500 km ish...

Have some with repair carried out after mid February. Also in Norway The rattle is coming back there :(

I’ll keep you updated, but fingers crossed that this fixed it for good for my part!
Has any one gotten the 77-C and after an extended period of time and driving remained rattle free?
If so I am still hopeful, but if not I fear it is just a matter of time until the “rattle gate” appears again... cause 1500 km is not really much driving..

Can you please explain what you mean by strut support? Did you mean strut tower braces? There is only one weld I can see, but while it does not carry any significant forces - how could that contribute to the rattle?
s-l640.jpg

Part #601: https://patentimages.storage.google...b30d8042f/US20120169023A1-20120705-D00006.png

I would also like to mention strut tower braces can contribute to the clicking noise (separate concern). Was this something your SC will address with the new part?

That would be correct - my bad if I misquoted them as supports rather than tower braces, but the weld may be the square piece that you see on the bottom piece - I didn't see mine before or after being replaced (it was in the SC while they were waiting for the replacements to arrive) but did get shown where they are after... you have to lift up the plastic hood under the front trunk assembly to see them.

If you were rattle free for almost 3000 miles... in my head that means something within the struts wears down over time... and either becomes loose or just simply “damaged”. I would imagine if picking the struts apart and comparing it to a new one, you would easily discover where it’s been worn down... thus identifying the problem and from there would be able to provide a solution.

Does anyone know what the difference is from the “original” struts and the 77-C? For all I know they could just be “remarking” the struts with new part numbers, this way they are buying time and can act customer friendly...
I don’t think so, but hey, look at VW, its a cynical business!

If you were rattle free for almost 3000 miles... in my head that means something within the struts wears down over time... and either becomes loose or just simply “damaged”. I would imagine if picking the struts apart and comparing it to a new one, you would easily discover where it’s been worn down... thus identifying the problem and from there would be able to provide a solution.

Does anyone know what the difference is from the “original” struts and the 77-C? For all I know they could just be “remarking” the struts with new part numbers, this way they are buying time and can act customer friendly...
I don’t think so, but hey, look at VW, its a cynical business!

Comparison can be done with both 25-C and "previous" 77-C.