Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for your extensive respone!

I know that the SC is doing all they can and the guy looked almost ashamed of himself/Tesla when he informed me about the issue knowing I have been at the SC for quite a few warranty issues and problems.

I knew upfront that Tesla was not perfect but sometimes the pain and frustrations gets the best of me. I have been at the SC for so many times since delivery that this actions causes a lot of irritation. In the past 6 months I own my MS I have been more at the SC than the past 5 year with my previous car. (I probebly have a monday morning model)

Myself and many others are reporting errors, diagnostics and ideas with the SC. But i know that a lot of people are getting ''SC tired'' and get the impression they just cant handle it. I would appreciate if there is more custommer feedback or interface to track the ''known issues'' so we get an idea how Tesla looks into the reports and what the status is. For example I'm not even bothering anymore to point out that Spotify doesn't work properly because the awnser is alway the same ''we are working on it the next version should solve it''.

I do not want to sound like a grumpy guy, I letterly love my Tesla and the driver experaince/ trill of an EV is absolutely magnificent but the simple things like the poor auto wipers, spotifiy, crashing console, yellow bands, doorhandles not working, ratteling suspension etc. ruin the overall user experiance and affect the love for the brand.

Hopefully Tesla will solve this kind of issues before the competition gets the best of them.

Thank you for hearing me out, it is a relieve and helps!

Please do not think of your car being a "monday car". There is a good reason for why SCs are overflooded in Norway.

I think in this situation we may want choose to maintain positive atitude. This will help everything.

Reactions: TS_Rob
I got the new Air Struts last week.
I just posted this on a Model S 2018.46.2 thread:
Updated to 2018.46.2 last night.
About an hour later, I brought up the notes and decided to check all my settings to make sure nothing had changed.
I brought up Smart Air Suspension to find that my car was in Jack Mode. I had to unplug it from the charger for the button to turn blue so I could disable it. I assumed it had something to do with the SC replacing my front Air Struts last week. I called tech-support to get them to pull the logs for my SC.
The technician at the SC has determined that it doesn’t have anything to do with the work done on my car and it’s somehow related to the firmware update. They escalated it. After driving an plugging it in fore a few hours, it goes back into Jack Mode. (3 times total so far)
Anyone else with this issue on 2018.46.2?
If not, that is probably an incorrect assumption.
View attachment 358388

My MS has new suspension since thuesday and also the new software 46.2 since yesterday but I don't have this issue.

Did u try deleting the autoraise gps tag in your photo?
On.42 I found my MS put itself in high mode several places by itself
This is in my garage.
The auto tag raises it to very high so I won’t scrape the bottom of the car in the driveway as I pull in.
That is still working as it was.
I did ask about the possibility of the auto tag being for Jack Mode. It was ruled out.
The reason I thought it might be possible is because ranger came and swapped my wheels out the week before in my driveway.
So he must’ve put it in Jack mode at that point.
I’ll report back once I’ve been to the SC today.
The technician on the phone seem to think it might actually be a sensor in the new air struts.
I was wondering if it could be related to differences between the front and rear struts in terms of their stiffness, newness, causing issues with balancing the weight on a perfectly flat stable surface over a extended period time. I really don’t have much great technical knowledge on the operation just basing this on a few things I’ve read.
I will try deleting it and adding it back anyway to see if that helps. Thanks

This is in my garage.
The auto tag raises it to very high so I won’t scrape the bottom of the car in the driveway as I pull in.
That is still working as it was.
I did ask about the possibility of the auto tag being for Jack Mode. It was ruled out.
The reason I thought it might be possible is because ranger came and swapped my wheels out the week before in my driveway.
So he must’ve put it in Jack mode at that point.
I’ll report back once I’ve been to the SC today.
The technician on the phone seem to think it might actually be a sensor in the new air struts.
I was wondering if it could be related to differences between the front and rear struts in terms of their stiffness, newness, causing issues with balancing the weight on a perfectly flat stable surface over a extended period time. I really don’t have much great technical knowledge on the operation just basing this on a few things I’ve read.
I will try deleting it and adding it back anyway to see if that helps. Thanks
Ok,
Just deleted the tag and added it back.
It got me to thinking that maybe it’s not the tag but the actual setting.
This is the only place my car has sat for hours on very high. Probably the next step is to leave it sitting on standard to see if that eliminates the issue. Not a long-term fix -it must be on very high coming in to my garage

What part number, and description, does your service record show they used?

@MP3Mike, It is 1067361-77-C, I think. More and more people reporting this.

It seems like the design change had the following effects:
1. The shock absorbers in front got modified performance characteristics. I experience this as a stiffer ride. I think it has to do with adjustment of low/high frequency suspension movement. See Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18) and Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)
2. The effects of the problem are still percievable.

I can add that with 1067361-25-C I didn't have this problem before I started using suspension leveling. Very shortly after I started adjusting ride hight the problem started manifesting itself exactly like with 1067361-77-C now (few days after installation).

It was an interesting experience like a leap back in time when I got the new struts installed.

And if I may add some off-topic lirics...I do not understand how this can be such a challenge for Tesla Engineering to resolve. I understand this was a supplier related issue? I am pretty sure that together with Bilstein Tesla will be able to find a good solution. What is the problem?

After waiting months for the "cure" and the parts to be made available, I finally had the front struts on my 2017 S90D (AP2 MCU1 air suspension) replaced last week with the new air strut part that is supposed to eliminate the front suspension rattle (1067361-77-C).

I'm sorry to say that it did nothing to eliminate the rattle noise - I could hear it the first slow roll out the service center driveway. I was very frustrated, both with the service center techs for not checking to see if the repair affected the issue, and with Tesla for not actually finding a cure for the problem. This has become more frequently the case for me - repairs are performed without any follow up to see if the actual problem is fixed. I love my car, but I'm starting to get disenchanted with the dismal service writer to tech communications and repair follow through procedures of the service dept.

After waiting months for the "cure" and the parts to be made available, I finally had the front struts on my 2017 S90D (AP2 MCU1 air suspension) replaced last week with the new air strut part that is supposed to eliminate the front suspension rattle (1067361-77-C).

I'm sorry to say that it did nothing to eliminate the rattle noise - I could hear it the first slow roll out the service center driveway. I was very frustrated, both with the service center techs for not checking to see if the repair affected the issue, and with Tesla for not actually finding a cure for the problem. This has become more frequently the case for me - repairs are performed without any follow up to see if the actual problem is fixed. I love my car, but I'm starting to get disenchanted with the dismal service writer to tech communications and repair follow through procedures of the service dept.

Sad to hear we all have to get back on the "boat" called "Tesla Model S suspension problems" :( But hopefully, Tesla will be able to mediate this more efficiently since they have already established that the issues are "supplier-related" (12 Models Lose CR Recommendation Over Car Reliability Issues)

Regarding your perception of the service, I will remind that SC depend on the Tesla headquarters. There are some things they can do and some thing that they cannot. When you have this limitation it will affect performance of the SC in strange ways. While I am not advocating SC and rather not promoting bad service, I think it is fair to mention this.

I wonder if your issue is the steering rack like they originally used to think.

Are you trying to say that nothing else could possibly fail resulting in a similar rattle?

Absolutely not, @MP3Mike. But the facts are (in chronological order):
1. Car delivered -> no problem and expected (excellent driving comfort).
2. Started using suspension leveling -> first indications of the problem (only slightly noticable sound), generally same driving comfort wih slightly noticable uncontrolled movements in suspension.
3. Time has passed -> gradually more audible sound plus worsen driving komfort.
4. 9 month has passed -> horse carriage but NOT the car I ordered, loud sound on virtually all types of road imperfections, torture to drive vehicle.
5. Replacement with 27-C -> Back to #2 and getting worse every day.

So, I do not know what to say realy. Time to do some brainstorming with Tesla and Bilstein?

Last edited:
I wonder if taking action outlined is this article would get Tesla’s attention!

https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-to-possibly-force-a-recall-on-your-car-1830938474

Horse carriages have been on the roads for ages. Why should NHTSA issue a recall? :)

This is more about what you ordered. Unless you have this "feature" in your order specification it worth to appeal to your consumer rights. Probably collectively if that is what it takes to get enough attention.

I, for example, have absolutely reasonable expectations to the thing I ordered. Plain and simple. Lawyers I read believe that if resolving an issue takes as much as unreasonable time then it is a clear re-delivery requirement. If not that then a significant price discount so that it will cover risks of reselling the thing.

Other than that, Tesla, please help stay your customer!

Last edited:
The part numbers for the re-designed strut are:
1. Complete assembly aka "AIR SPRING MODULE FR - MS2 DM": 1067361-77-C
2. Bilstein shock absorber (inside #1): 72-3582-3015

Can anyone with (post-april 2016 ) 1067361-25-C post part number for #2?

The pre-april 2016 #1 is 1030608-00-C (see https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/systemGroups/53928)

Last edited: