Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, we have a new term for the issue - "Strut Chuckle". This from my SC:

Concern: Customer: Hearing vibration from suspension at low speeds on rough road surfaces

Service Corrections: Exterior NVH General Diagnosis Confirmed noise is 'strut chuckle', a known (non-safety) concern with these struts. We are currently working with the manufacturer on a solution for this issue at this time.

Hi,

So I received my car back from the SC today. they performed the standard 20K km maintenance and fixed some other small issues.
The engineer explained me they installed some new steel plate on the shock tower braces that should have resolved the issue but according to the engineer it was not resolved and the next item on the procedure is now to replace the steering rack. this is scheduled for 14 days from now.
When I drove the car home, I took my regular roads where I know I can hear the issue and I must say that the noise was not there on 50% of those roads. I am very sensitive to it and it was really improved. Let's hope the remaining 50% is removed when they replace the steering rack.
i will keep you updated.

• Informative
Reactions: Dragetreneren
Hi,

So I received my car back from the SC today. they performed the standard 20K km maintenance and fixed some other small issues.
The engineer explained me they installed some new steel plate on the shock tower braces that should have resolved the issue but according to the engineer it was not resolved and the next item on the procedure is now to replace the steering rack. this is scheduled for 14 days from now.
When I drove the car home, I took my regular roads where I know I can hear the issue and I must say that the noise was not there on 50% of those roads. I am very sensitive to it and it was really improved. Let's hope the remaining 50% is removed when they replace the steering rack.
i will keep you updated.

They replaced my steering rack. Did nothing. They should know better.

Indeed, I have seen many posts where people were reporting the steering rack replacement did not resolve the issue. But as the engineer said, this is the procedure, first the steel plate and then the steering rack.
He was confident this should fix it 100%. Let's see. I will have to go trough this procedure on my car anyway before I can take it further...

• Informative

Concern: Customer: Hearing vibration from suspension at low speeds on rough road surfaces

Service Corrections: Exterior NVH General Diagnosis Confirmed noise is 'strut chuckle', a known (non-safety) concern with these struts. We are currently working with the manufacturer on a solution for this issue at this time.

This is consistent with my recent one year maintenance service. Had struts replaced to address this issue but with non improved version. Noise still there but reduced. Ranger now knows exactly where to drive to create the noise and has (finally) found the diagnosis documents referenced. So now he is tuned in to the thread there and when the fix is in will get a set of struts to fix.

In his diagnosis he used a microphone set to isolate the noise. The procedure in the service note is to remove the tower brace and confirm that the noise no longer transmits into the cabin. Which is what he found. So I'm pretty confident that a fix will arrive soon. And it will come in the form of a new strut. In the meantime I have a reduced noise car.

Interesting. I got my appointment tomorrow. I'll be sure to mention this if they don't to me.

Interesting. I got my appointment tomorrow. I'll be sure to mention this if they don't to me.
I would. When I checked my car in they appeared to know nothing about this known issue, so we had to do the test drive, find the right surface etc. Seems like you can bypass all of that if it's clearly the same thing. If you Google 'strut chuckle', there's very few hits, and they mostly relate to 2007-9 Shelby GT500s. Aside from this thread, no other Tesla-related links.

I got the same rattle in our Model S March 2018 after 2000 km's. Brought it to the SC and they replaced both front struts (Air suspension modules) after 10.000 km's. Now the car is quiet en feels much stiffer than before. My guess is that there are some bad struts around. Maybe a faulty batch or something. Let them replace the struts and the noise is gone. I have read all the post and saw multiple videos of the rattle and I was pretty sure our car was affected with the rattle all you guys have (Wobbling sound when driving slowly over unpaved roads).

I asked them to replace the struts because a friend of mine has a totally smooth Model S without rattles which is one month older then our Model S. So this gives the idea that there are cars around which are quiet right away from the factory.

Changing the struts changed the whole experience of driving in the car. Loving it!
This is my anticipation as well. Both the rattle and the comfort have been affected.

It has nothing to do with air suspension as many cars with coils have the same rattle. There is a TSB out for the repair process.
The rattle is caused by mechanical oscillations (vibration) which is produced my reaction forces induced in the contact between wheel and the surface when vehicle is in move. The task of the suspension is to make sure this forces are mitigated so that the contact is not compromised i.e. ensure consistent pressure on the surface so that traction does not suffice. More than that, the driving comfort is important so that the driver's ability to sustain enough control over the vehicle and the driving conditions is not impaired. The comfort is also an advantage when marketing vehicles which effectively puts more pressure on more expensive alternatives, i.e. it is very unlikely that a buyer would prefer vehicle with bad suspension with higher price tag. Suspension is one of the most important fundamental systems that the vehicle is comprised of.

Interesting theory, and backed up by my experience that the suspension feels harsh when the rattle is the loudest. When suspension feels comfy, the rattle is usually not there. And yes, all in standard setting. The rattle is also less prominent in high and extra high.
Same observations. Cannot tell about LOW, but in STANDARD setting the comfort seems to be more compromised.

Reactions: daktari
The rattle is caused by mechanical oscillations (vibration) which is produced my reaction forces induced in the contact between wheel and the surface when vehicle is in move. The task of the suspension is to make sure this forces are mitigated so that the contact is not compromised i.e. ensure consistent pressure on the surface so that traction does not suffice. More than that, the driving comfort is important so that the driver's ability to sustain enough control over the vehicle and the driving conditions is not impaired. The comfort is also an advantage when marketing vehicles which effectively puts more pressure on more expensive alternatives, i.e. it is very unlikely that a buyer would prefer vehicle with bad suspension with higher price tag. Suspension is one of the most important fundamental systems that the vehicle is comprised of.
Yes, we know what a rattle is, what causes it, and why it's annoying.

Again, the rattle is not limited to cars with air suspension so focusing your though on the air strut itself is going to lead you nowhere. It's most likely an issue with the strut mount or the strut bearing.
I cannot tell if the rattle itself is not limited to airsuspension. While this might be the case the rattle itself is not barely a sound wave. This we all agree about I guess. The reason I reacted was that my perception of the focus in your post was on the sound. The suspension (at least AIRsuspension) is significantly less comfortable. It depends on how much the problem has progressed. It does start as almost negligible sound, yes, but then it gets worse. Both the sound and the vibration.