Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattles ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i took a test drive of a model x. Love the car but there where a couple things that kinda dissapointed me. The car had a rattle in the dash.. and windnoise was kinda loud i guess from the front rear view mirror on the drivers side ? I was kinda dissapointed with the rattle to be honest.. On a new car? How are the service centers in silencing rattles ? If that car allready had a rattle how is it going to be 2-3years from now . Any thoughts ? Thanks!

The wind noise may be the window gasket. Some are not fit correctly. Mine had gone over the window instead of under. I just poked it back in and let it sit for a week. This solved my "problem" and my wind noise is minimal if at all. Bigger noise seems to come from tire noise in my car and I am AS 20" Conti's.

A new rattle started after the passenger door latch was replaced. Very annoying and my passengers agree. It is most present at speeds about 15 to 25 mph on roads that provide a slight rocking action.

Some of the plastic parts can creak, but those are not as frequent. At highway speeds, the wind and road noise help mask the rattles.

After 2 visits and about 25 days in the SC, my many rattles seem to be gone. Some of the culprits were loose trim, cables/wires not secured within the doors, loose screws in the visor. As with Mark Z, I still have the creaking, and the rattles (when they were present) were mostly noticeable at lower speeds on rough roads.

The right side of my dash started creaking incessantly after about 500 miles. Smooth roads, rough roads - didn't matter.

Since SC's are backed up over a month, I decided to try and pinpoint it myself since they can't look at the car until June. Pressing on the dash didn't seem to help isolate it, but after removing the pop-out side panel on the right dash, it was super easy to duplicate. Tesla basically has a single rub strip between the upper and side pillar "grills" and the grills rub ever so slightly against each other and make a creaking noise. The left side fit is really tight, so the single rib strip might be helping more, but the right side one has a bit of a gap, so there's no real dampening coming from the thin factory rub strip.

Fix:

1) Pop off right side panel*
2) Confirm creak
3) Cut some small strips of adhesive weatherstrip foam
4) "Tuck" adhesive foam into the gap so it sticks to the lower grill "tab"
5) Pop side panel back into place

* Removing the side panel allows some "play" in the dash so you can tuck under the grill tabs. It also allows you to confirm the creaking sound and that you've fixed it when you press a bit on the dash with the panel out.

This fixed my dash noise, but a better fix may be to run a strip across the entire grill gap to prevent other contact points. It just didn't look easy to get in between the two parts without removing the top of the dash, and this will be more involved than simply popping off the side panel. I'll ask the SC about it next month when the car goes in for other fixes.

Creaking sound from grill contact

IMG_1531.jpg

Pop-off side panel

IMG_1530.jpg

Cut foam weatherstrip

IMG_1535.jpg
IMG_1533.jpg

Tuck foam pice in with tweezers or a small screwdriver to reach under grill "overlap"

IMG_1534.jpg
IMG_1532.jpg

Removing the side panel allows some "play" in the dash so you can tuck under the grill tabs. It also allows you to confirm the creaking sound and that you've fixed it when you press a bit on the dash with the panel out.
Any tips on how to safely remove the grill panel? That looks dangerous.:eek:

If it is really just the two grills rubbing each other wouldn't it just be easier to shove the foam or some cardboard between the parts in situ?

Note: Autocorrect wanted to change grills to girls above. I was not going there. Could have started a whole flame war.:)

Any tips on how to safely remove the grill panel? That looks dangerous.:eek:

If it is really just the two grills rubbing each other wouldn't it just be easier to shove the foam or some cardboard between the parts in situ?

The side panel is easy to pop off (standard automotive style body clips). Just get one edge up slightly and work around the edge popping one clip at a time with your fingers.

The top of the dash and speaker grills are another story... They're pretty secure and I wasn't going to risk pulling too much. I just needed the play with the side panel removed to confirm the squeak. It was easier to pinpoint with some movement.

The a-pillar cover probably lifts out, but I'm guessing you need to start popping clips by the door roofline and work down to the dash using a trim removal tool.

Today three of road in the car. The car seems to have developed a weird squeak on the passenger side of the car. We held onto the front seat passenger back and it went away and tried it again without holding it and it squeaked again. So something causes a squeak in the front passenger seat back.

Today three of road in the car. The car seems to have developed a weird squeak on the passenger side of the car. We held onto the front seat passenger back and it went away and tried it again without holding it and it squeaked again. So something causes a squeak in the front passenger seat back.

Call your SC they will fix it. I had the same type of squeak in my dash they found a clip not properly seated. They also fixed several rattles I had.

Since the car was new I have had a rattle in the passenger FWD. Had to take the car to service today to get the fobs swapped and they also put in a new set of front door latches. While I was there they took a look at the rattle we have and this is what they did:

Concern: Customer states: There is a rattle in the front corner of the passenger falcon door right ahead of the hinge while driving. goes away when slight pressure is applied.
Pay Type: Warranty
Corrections: Interior NVH General Diagnosis
The right falcon door inductive sensor trim connector is rattling against the surrounding trim. Applied felt at contact point.