Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reactions to Model X reveal event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
End of the day, if you want a electric SUV, the X is the best one out there.

That's very true, but right now the fact is that there are precious few electric vehicles to choose from. There are thousands of new and used ICE cars to choose from, but you could probably count the electric offerings on one hand. If none of them tickle your fancy, you'll probably choose something else unless driving electric is an absolute must. I think the OP's post was more in line with this sentiment, just like the guy who prefers Mercedes Benz to Audi cars.

most people who just want to live their daily lives.

The average human brain is wired to save energy and to seek maximum comfort. So of course most people, who unlike Elon do not have a huge IQ, view thinking about the long term consequences of their actions as requiring too much energy, and prefer to live as comfortable a life as their means allow. And of course most brains, when confronted by a brain forcing them to think about Global Warming rigorously experience unpleasant feelings. But in reality you should thank me because suffering the real life consequences of Global Warming will be much more unpleasant than this conversation. And they will be consequences you cannot turn off like a computer screen.

ok, just to get this straight: This is my own subjective opinion. I don't judge someone buying the X. I just don't get this car and the issues I outlined. Would love the hear some other viewpoints about these issues. Don't get offended, it's nothing personal ;O))
Yes, your opinion, liberally salted with multiple profanities in the form of ******, coming across as hysterical ranting. But "nothing personal" and you "don't judge".
Now that you have calmed down -- I hope -- perhaps you can see, based on the responses so far, that the features of the X that you dismissed so vehemently actually do have perceived utility in the minds of some people.
Extraordinarily superior cabin air filtration to cleanse the fouled air produced by all the ICE vehicles surrounding you as you sit in traffic.
Revolutionary passenger doors that guarantee your kids won't open your doors smack into the cars parked next to you (an all too common occurrence) because the amazing ultrasonic sensors embedded in the doors that can see through metal prevent them from hitting anything, and that make it much easier for parents to fit their little ones I to car seats.
A huge windshield with carefully calibrated tinting overhead and innovative sun visors.
A rear bike/ski rack that a 10 year old can attach in 5 seconds.
The highest possible safety rating of an SUV.
The lowest ever CD number for an SUV while offering seating for 7 and massive luggage capacity.
First ever EV SUV with towing capacity.
Oh wait: first ever long range EV SUV that can use a nationwide networks of truly high speed DC charging stations.
Okay, so you didn't like the car, and it's not for you. That's fine, and you are welcome to express your opinion. But when your first post just craps all over the car, you should be prepared for strong reactions.

I forgot about the windshield. I have to wonder how this will affect driving in though sun light conditions. Then there's the dash 17 inch screen, not bad, but together with the new screen, will you still be able to see anything on the screen in bright sunlight, with your sunglasses?

My experience driving the Model S with the Pano roof is screen visibility does become an issue if the roof is opened and the sun is positioned such that there is direct glare onto the screen. Dialing up the screen brightness in this condition can overcome this. I would imagine the X will have a dark enough tint so screen glare from the sun will not be an issue at all.

I'm primarily interested in getting a bigger EV than my Leaf, not just an SUV. Why compare the X to some offering from BMW or Merc? Those run on gas! My only choice, given that my next car has to be electric and I like driving long distances, is between an S and an X. The X will fit my my adult children and their kids, at least many of them. There seems to be ample space and the range is terrific for such a big EV. I like the looks, will be happy enough with the FW doors, and like the performance, even of the base model. The only thing I don't like is lack of folding second row seats. The more I think about it, the more I think that I could just buy a small trailer like the Go that would more than meet my needs for cargo.

Just putting my thoughts in this note lets me see that the logical choice is to carry on with my X reservation rather than switch to an S. Thanks Bonnie, (I think it was you) for the suggestion in another post about the Go trailer.

tesla.jpg

Enough said...

As another forum member said, is it okay if Tesla swap in ICE powertrain because the electric motor was just a concept?

Yes. That's my extreme arbitrary answer to an extreme arbitrary scenario. :p

If Tesla never get AutoPilot to work, is it alright because theoretically it could be done with the hardware you purchased and Tesla never promised a firm deadline on enabling the feature?

If they never firmly promised a deadline, then it should be viewed as what they are trying to do without any firm deadline. That's the reality of it. They are trying to do it, and it will be done when it's done.

Shall I assume that any feature that they promise and any rendering that they show are complete BS until the final product is delivered?

Not complete BS, more like a goal, which in this case, Tesla hasn't yet achieved on production day 1.

The average human brain is wired to save energy and to seek maximum comfort. So of course most people, who unlike Elon do not have a huge IQ, view thinking about the long term consequences of their actions as requiring too much energy, and prefer to live as comfortable a life as their means allow. And of course most brains, when confronted by a brain forcing them to think about Global Warming rigorously experience unpleasant feelings. But in reality you should thank me because suffering the real life consequences of Global Warming will be much more unpleasant than this conversation. And they will be consequences you cannot turn off like a computer screen.

Wow, you are just in love with yourself. I think all electric cars are probably the best way to go for the environment in most cases right now, and the Model S is an unbelievably great car. It never ceases to amaze me though the amount of people that don't realize electric is only zero emission at the car. For most americans, that electricity comes from burning natural gas. Many studies have been done and the average utility with a model S, puts as much carbon in the air as a 40 mpg gas car. And before you say you have solar panels, that does't really matter. If you had those panels and a 40 mpg ICE car, the impact is the same, since the power you do not use for your tesla would be fed back to the grid and thus forgo burning fossil fuels at the power plant.

That being said, electric cars have a huge role for the future especially when they get more efficient/green at producing the electricity, and Tesla is leading the way and taking risks to that end and I salute them. The also make one of the best cars ever built (ICE or electric). But just don't act like if you buy a tesla you are cutting your carbon to zero and bash any ICE car out there, because some are actually less polluting at the moment. Also you need to accept that only 50" max cargo length in an CUV/SUV is a big miss.
How would you feel if you had to call your friend with a Honda hatch back to help you bring home a 7' curtain rod from home depot.

I predict we will see the 6 seat option as the most popular option for the X, and eventually a foldable seat. Come on people it's OK for Tesla to not be perfect, don't you want to be honest and help them succeed and not blindly support every decision (that will not help them succeed in the marketplace long term).

-T Reservation # 16,448

Many studies have been done and the average utility with a model S, puts as much carbon in the air as a 40 mpg gas car.
Huh? I'm sure others with better memories will help and correct this statement correctly. Are you absolutely sure that running an EV off an "average" US utility puts as much carbon in the air as a 40mpg ICE? I highly doubt that... I just won't easily be able to find all the actual facts and studies to refute it. So for now I'll just highly question your statement and [lazily] leave it to other better-informed people to show the truth.

Bonnie, your first reply was a non productive passive aggressive reply...
Superloud, thanks for your reply and taking the time. This is exactly what I was asking for, the opinion of one who likes all these features. I can't wait for the test ride.
I don't write this stuff because I hate the car, but for fuel for discussion. Again, this is not a personal attack on anyone, so chill.

If we're scoring our first posts in this thread, I'd say you win, hands-down, on the 'aggressive' scale ... quickly followed up by a post name calling anyone who didn't respond to your rant seriously. My post? Sure, it was a small dig. Pretty small. But if your skin is so thin that you thought that was passive-aggressive and worthy of the name-calling you responded with, then being on a forum may be a little tough for you.j

In any case, I see your posts where you seem to have calmed a bit. Hopefully that's a start to a great future here.

Wow, you are just in love with yourself. I think all electric cars are probably the best way to go for the environment in most cases right now, and the Model S is an unbelievably great car. It never ceases to amaze me though the amount of people that don't realize electric is only zero emission at the car. For most americans, that electricity comes from burning natural gas. Many studies have been done and the average utility with a model S, puts as much carbon in the air as a 40 mpg gas car. And before you say you have solar panels, that does't really matter. If you had those panels and a 40 mpg ICE car, the impact is the same, since the power you do not use for your tesla would be fed back to the grid and thus forgo burning fossil fuels at the power plant.

That being said, electric cars have a huge role for the future especially when they get more efficient/green at producing the electricity, and Tesla is leading the way and taking risks to that end and I salute them. The also make one of the best cars ever built (ICE or electric). But just don't act like if you buy a tesla you are cutting your carbon to zero and bash any ICE car out there, because some are actually less polluting at the moment. Also you need to accept that only 50" max cargo length in an CUV/SUV is a big miss.
How would you feel if you had to call your friend with a Honda hatch back to help you bring home a 7' curtain rod from home depot.

I predict we will see the 6 seat option as the most popular option for the X, and eventually a foldable seat. Come on people it's OK for Tesla to not be perfect, don't you want to be honest and help them succeed and not blindly support every decision (that will not help them succeed in the marketplace long term).

-T Reservation # 16,448

How often do you buy a curtain rod ? Do you really have to increase Global Warming everyday because of a curtain rod once every ten years ? You can get it delivered, or ask someone with a bigger car to help you.
The transition to electric means of transportation is crucial for the future of humanity, along with the transition to sustainable energy. Buying an ICE instead of an EV slows that transition.
It is not about Tesla. Buying a Nissan Leaf, a Renault Zoe, a BMW i3, a Chevy Volt, or an electric bike is positive, too.