Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reactions to Model X reveal event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
bio hazard mode...really? What problem did that one solve? Replacing the filters costs....$$$
Just this minor nuance of this minor particle and gasses in the air ...
http://www.zmescience.com/ecology/pollution-ecology/china-smog-pollution-18082015/
China's smog kills 4,000 people each day​
http://www.zmescience.com/ecology/pollution-ecology/china-smog-pollution-18082015/
china-smog-2013-TV-bldg.jpg

That filter is a feature of no much value for those few lucky ones breathing clean and fresh air living far from metropolitan areas.
You are minority, though. People in those areas come in hundreds of millions total.
I guess they will put much value on that filter and have no problem seeing the problem it solves.

It didn't at all occur to me that there was anything wrong with the presentation Musk did. He got across all the relevant information.

Absolutely!
Same here. Really like the honest way he does this. Nothing flashy or anything just pure unedited enthusiasm:)

Of course the people behind the event could have handled the on stage logistics better, but Elon is Elon. I like his style:)

I like Elon in his interviews, and indeed he comes across as genuine. That being said, during the X reveal he did not seem to care much about his audience. It is disrespectful to 1) be 50 minutes late without an explanation, or any hint of "I am sorry, my cat got stuck in a tree" when finally showing up, and 2) it would not harm him to rehearse his speech once or twice, so he does not appear to be stumbling so often. He is a clever man, could easily do a better job at it.

I like Elon in his interviews, and indeed he comes across as genuine. That being said, during the X reveal he did not seem to care much about his audience. It is disrespectful to 1) be 50 minutes late without an explanation, or any hint of "I am sorry, my cat got stuck in a tree" when finally showing up, and 2) it would not harm him to rehearse his speech once or twice, so he does not appear to be stumbling so often. He is a clever man, could easily do a better job at it.

There were photos taken and shown on reddit/twitter of Elon rehearsing backstage before the presentation started. At some point, it's just not his main focus and public speaking can be a bit rough for a lot of engineers, clearly Elon included. Source: Am engineer.

Looked up the CEOs of Germany's auto industry. Pretty much all of them are engineers or have some related STEM degree. Didn't find anyone with a MBA.

Its not just the German auto industry, the CEOs of the American car makers are all engineers too. In fact most of the CEOs of engineering type companies (Boeing, Apple, Google, Northrop) are engineers.

IMO, Elon seriously needs to either 1) greatly improve his presentations; or 2) delegate to someone else. I think Tesla is great, but seriously, it was an awkward presentation overall.

I agree 100%. I found it very painful to watch Elon stumble through the launch, and it may not all have been his fault. There were times when Elon was waiting - for the Model X to appear, for a slide to change, etc., which means the event was poorly put together or rehearsed. Not to mention all the waiting that everyone did as the event started almost an hour late.

When the first Model X drove up and the driver got out, shut the door and then the door popped back open, and Elon had to awkwardly shut it, I thought, "I can't imagine getting out of my vehicle in a parking lot, walking away and having the door pop open by itself. Even if it automatically shut after a period of time, who wants their door to open at all when you don't want it to? What if it's raining out?"

If you look at the Model S first-delivery event, it was so much better. Yes, Elon still had a major role, but we also got to hear from JB and Franz, and Blankenship emcee'd to keep things moving.

Tesla Model S first customer delivery - live event - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread did improve for Elon, but sure turned worse with the troll. May I suggest a Model X to pull a boat and go trolling at sea?
Ha! Trolls (with an "s"). Have you noticed there is more than one? I suspect one or more are employed by other auto makers and are here to plant FUD.

My number one comment about the Tesla Motors Model X Launch Event was the ability to enjoy talking to people for 6 hours.

Yes! It definitely got easier to spend some quality time with the car on stage after midnight.

OT: Best of all was taking a factory tour the next day. Seeing a "Training X" near the final assembly line with multiple workers installing the components gave a hint of how they are progressing towards getting our cars finished after the training is complete.
Which tour were you on? I was in the 9:00 AM tour. Hope I didn't miss an opportunity to chat with the illustrious Mark Z! I share your enthusiasm for the event and the X and am a bit envious of your position in line. :)

-CB

- - - Updated - - -

It didn't at all occur to me that there was anything wrong with the presentation Musk did. He got across all the relevant information.
Agree 100%. But as others have said, it would be OK for Musk to share the limelight a bit. This is not a one-man operation any more and it would have been nice to see JB and Franz up there doing some of the presentation.

-CB

- - - Updated - - -

Just wanted to point out that there are lots of nice cars in that price range.
I'm sure there are, but I have no interest in them. Because they aren't electric. Like many others who buy a Tesla, I'm punching above my weight class to bring home a 100% electric Tesla. Our current car is a 10-year old Highlander Hybrid. I expect the Model X to take us through the next 10 years (if not much more).

How is the coverage of the charging network? How long does it take to charge?
The Supercharger network, which Tesla surprised people with in 2012 as a "free bonus," (after they had thousands of Model S order/deposits*), now has close to 500 locations worldwide. If you're travelling far, you can get up and down both coasts and across the country for free, getting 50% range restored in 20 minutes (soon to be even faster with the liquid-cooled cables) which gets you to the next Supercharger. For me personally, there are plenty of superchargers in place now to get me to and from our cabin in the Adirondacks and my parents' house in Georgia, from NYC. It's pretty remarkable that they've gone from 0 locations to almost 500 in three years. Looking at the supercharger map, there are plenty more planned worldwide for the remainder of the year and on into the future.

Supercharger | Tesla Motors

- - - Updated - - -

Just read the other day, LG is starting to build a new battery factory in EU (50k capacity). They are building one in China now (100k). They have existing 200k in Korea and 50k in US.

If Nissan starts building batteries using LG chemistry, that is another 400k or so world wide.
What are the units? 50K what? Finished battery packs? If so, what size/capacity?

-CB

*changed from "sales" to "orders/deposits" to avoid the wrath of ckessel :)

Last edited:
There were photos taken and shown on reddit/twitter of Elon rehearsing backstage before the presentation started. At some point, it's just not his main focus and public speaking can be a bit rough for a lot of engineers, clearly Elon included. Source: Am engineer.

He has vast public speaking experience. He was a bit off, IMO. But certainly not horrible. Probably nerves, perhaps due to full X production not being ready.

The "head scratcher" for me is why they didn't design a highly flexible area behind the front seats: The "U" in SUV. This vehicle seems designed to 1) Comfortably carry a family of seven. and 2) Sell in China (smog and owner often in second row seats).

The good news is that they will likely sell all the cars they can make next year. But I don't understand the choices they made in the MX. The MS is already more car than most upscale buyers desire. Musk is literally the only person I could name who has five children under age 20.

The "head scratcher" for me is why they didn't design a highly flexible area behind the front seats: The "U" in SUV. This vehicle seems designed to 1) Comfortably carry a family of seven. and 2) Sell in China (smog and owner often in second row seats).

I agree with this, and I'm really hopeful it helps them make better inroads in China, and build a serious brand there. My sense from Elon's presentation is that it's not exactly the car he would have preferred to present. This is supported by his comments to the press about it as well (about the overcomplexity, how they'd do it differently if they were to do it again, etc).

I know families with more than 2 children. I think anything over 2 and that's the point where longer road trips start to become a bit cramped in the MS. We would have liked more space for our family of 4 (adults+children) on some trips we've taken. I was hoping to take a cross-country trip in the MX, where the space would certainly be welcome. The other benefit would be when my mom or our in-laws are in town. Currently we stuff everyone in the MS, kids in the rear-facing seats. It's not the most comfortable ride, but it works.

The Supercharger network, which Tesla surprised people with in 2012 as a "free bonus," (after they'd already sold thousands of Model S cars)
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you got the timeline mixed up rather than revisionist history.

The super charger was not a surprise free bonus. It was announced as built into the price for 85s, but not 60s. It'd also wasn't announced after they'd shipped thousands of cars, it was before. Also, it'd be quite generous to say they'd shipped "thousands" of cars at that point even in 2012 as a whole.

I'm car #2310 and got my car on December 30th 2012. That's barely squeaking into the "thousands" and there was a HUGE push to deliver cars that December, so the number of cars delivered by, say, November 30th was well below that.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you got the timeline mixed up rather than revisionist history.

The super charger was not a surprise free bonus. It was announced as built into the price for 85s, but not 60s. It'd also wasn't announced after they'd shipped thousands of cars, it was before. Also, it'd be quite generous to say they'd shipped "thousands" of cars at that point even in 2012 as a whole.

I'm car #2310 and got my car on December 30th 2012. That's barely squeaking into the "thousands" and there was a HUGE push to deliver cars that December, so the number of cars delivered by, say, November 30th was well below that.

Small quibble - there were likely thousands of reservations in the pipeline at the point of the Supercharger announcement - meaning, people who had made the decision to buy & given a deposit, without knowing that this bonus was in the works. Admittedly, not the same as 'delivered cars', but still speaks to how many people had committed without that perk.

I was at the supercharger announcement. We knew that there would be quick DC charging for long trips, but it was not explained until then. I went hoping to see some model Ss, but there were only a handful there. I think only a couple hundred had been delivered by that time. We got ours December 22 2012 so we had to finalize our order about the time of the supercharger event. At the time there were only 6 superchargers all in California.

Small quibble - there were likely thousands of reservations in the pipeline at the point of the Supercharger announcement - meaning, people who had made the decision to buy & given a deposit, without knowing that this bonus was in the works. Admittedly, not the same as 'delivered cars', but still speaks to how many people had committed without that perk.
Small quibble with the small quibble. Deposits were 100% refundable. People had reserved the option to buy, not committed to buy.

I was at the supercharger announcement. We knew that there would be quick DC charging for long trips, but it was not explained until then. I went hoping to see some model Ss, but there were only a handful there. I think only a couple hundred had been delivered by that time. We got ours December 22 2012 so we had to finalize our order about the time of the supercharger event. At the time there were only 6 superchargers all in California.

Correct. I have an early flier discussing 45 minute quick charge -- we just didn't know TM was going to build the network to do it and give it to us for free*.