Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reactions to Model X reveal event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am still disappointed at Telsa, but in a my kid brought home the gold medal but crazy parent is angry at her for not break the world record kinda way.

That makes sense, but how do you think you or your daughter would feel when the New Your Times seizes on it and re-quotes you as follows:

'Angry Dad disowns daughter following disappointing performance'.

Not like that wasn't going to happen after a dozen NYT hit pieces penned by jealous parents alluding that your daughter was a born loser.

You can't stop the media from distorting the facts or simply making stuff up.

That shouldn't stop anyone from criticising Tesla where appropriate. If no one criticises Tesla, Tesla can't know what to work on, which means they can't improve. My biggest issues with Tesla is:

- 2nd row on the Model X
- 6+ months waiting time at service centers in Norway
- Quality control

I hope Tesla adresses the first point, and I hope they continue working on the two last points.

Last edited:
no matter what other people say, like or unlike.
i will buy it for sure, there is NO overall better car than this. especially in HK, it only costs similar to E class.
i only hope to receive the config email quickest possible.

...a modest compromise to those preferring to carry vast amounts of timber apparently brought forth public eulogies concerning the status of some private deposits.

You're showing that you haven't read people's reasoning. Less than subtle put-downs are not helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

If a TMC Moderator feels that delivering a huge blow to Tesla by using TMC to reward shills and shorts with juicy material for negative articles then I guess they are free to do that - or to call the company with constructive feedback as they see fit.

Firstly. You've been told multiple times that I'm not a TMC moderator. This constant repeating of false information is what makes for bad and misleading press.

Secondly, please leave off with the implications that anyone has been trying to "reward shills and shorts". This is offensive. And I did speak with Tesla multiple times, as did other TMC members. I've had polite and understanding replies from Tesla, which is a lot nicer than the accusations I've received here.

I miss AnxietyRanger threads, be good to have some analytical discussion on hidden or suspected features.

I can see both sides of the situation and just want us to all get along. If you look at the satellite shots from Oct. 3rd (the infrared photos) you can see a 3mm gap between the panels which indicates to Eds that there is a possible alignment issue from supplier XYZ (redacted).

That should be close.

That makes sense, but how do you think you or your daughter would feel when the New Your Times seizes on it and re-quotes you as follows:

'Angry Dad disowns daughter following disappointing performance'.

Not like that wasn't going to happen after a dozen NYT hit pieces penned by jealous parents alluding that your daughter was a born loser.

Hope you have a Tesla Julian, there would be no worse headline than:

'Noted Tesla advocate critizes others but drives a [fill in the blank] himself.'

Bonnie, I'm sure Tesla will come up with whatever is necessary regards the seats to satisfy additional use case flexibility assuming demand for those use-cases is there. Like you, I suspect it is, which is why I called them to offer that feedback and when I did they wanted to know if I was specifically referring to the Sig seats. I can also take the balanced view that Tesla can probably sell through 20-30,000 Model X while it makes up its mind if diverting energies to satisfying that desire is a priority. To my eye, recline to flat looks like it would not divert too much energy and it would not surprise me excessively if that was a simple software update pending regulatory approval and if the third row headrests are removable it would probably just slot together almost as though it were planned all along.

This is not about the seats. This is about acknowledging the willful media abuse of any sound-bite that can serve to defend the incumbent ICE and Oil industry's stranglehold on consumers by attacking this business. If a TMC Moderator feels that delivering a huge blow to Tesla by using TMC to reward shills and shorts with juicy material for negative articles then I guess they are free to do that - or to call the company with constructive feedback as they see fit.

I understand what this is about, Julian. I suggest you reread early posts to better understand how carefully people were attempting to handle this news. And then perhaps consider that while slinging mud at people in your eagerness to talk about willful media abuse, you might find yourself also in that very category of 'willful media abuse' of the facts.

It is distasteful that shorts are abusing the facts. It is equally distasteful that you seem intent on doing the same.

To my eye, recline to flat looks like it would not divert too much energy and it would not surprise me excessively if that was a simple software update pending regulatory approval and if the third row headrests are removable it would probably just slot together almost as though it were planned all along.
You appear to be saying that it is possible that "a simple software update" could make the second row seats recline. I suggest your clarify what you wrote because that is clearly impossible.
This is not about the seats. This is about acknowledging the willful media abuse of any sound-bite that can serve to defend the incumbent ICE and Oil industry's stranglehold on consumers by attacking this business. If a TMC Moderator feels that delivering a huge blow to Tesla by using TMC to reward shills and shorts with juicy material for negative articles then I guess they are free to do that - or to call the company with constructive feedback as they see fit.
You appear to be saying that any online criticism of Tesla will be taken out of context, distorted, and used against Tesla by its enemies, and therefore Tesla should not be criticized if it makes a product that fails to deliver on a promised feature. I completely disagree with that position. Tesla should be criticized when it makes mistakes, just like any company should.
But most importantly, you should deeply and profoundly apologize to Nigel for accusing him of "delivering a huge blow" to Tesla when he clearly had no intention of doing so. He owns two Teslas, he has been a Tesla and EV advocate for years, and he was merely expressing his opinion about a feature of the X that did not meet his needs!
And stop calling him a "TMC Moderator". He has not been one for months and has repeatedly corrected you about that, but you have ignored him.

I guess I'll chime in for the first time, and hopefully won't piss off anyone. I've had an S85 since March 2013 and love it though my wife wants nothing to do with it. We have five children from college to car seat, and have taken many 250 mile trips in the S including for skiing, etc., usually with 3 kids but as many as 5. I prefer not to take my wife's ten year old Odyssey but have to bribe 11 yr old to sit backwards on long drives so have been on the X list over a year (#12,800 or so). So my use case is primarily people moving, but I've carried bikes inside (I now have an Ecohitch and bike rack), and done Ikea and Costco runs, etc where the folded down space comes in handy (eg bed frames).

I never got an email with the X seats-flat photo or even saw it until last month, so I had no particular expectations. I was a bit surprised at the reactions but seeing that photo I understand how people like Nigel and Al would be disappointed and more importantly not able to fit the X into their personal use cases as-is.

As some have opined, my guess is that Tesla didn't intentionally blow them off. They just aimed for comfortable, safe, innovative seats that enabled easy rear seat access with car seats in place, and folding was the feature they couldn't solve for in that equation. But that doesn't help if your stuff won't fit. Perhaps they'll work folding into a future iteration or offer an alternative folding seat in future.

I hope you guys will maintain Production reservations in the meantime. It also seems like some of the other voices proclaiming doom and gloom about shovels and lamps should wait and see how much can really fit in the car, especially in the 6 seat version. Sometimes this is driven by panic as they have Sig reservations to configure, but many have more time and some probably don't even have a reservation but are just piling on. Finally I ask that all add to their signatures a point about not allowing quoting outside the forum. Not a panacea but could help reduce the noise leakage.

I guess I'll chime in for the first time, and hopefully won't piss off anyone. I've had an S85 since March 2013 and love it though my wife wants nothing to do with it. We have five children from college to car seat, and have taken many 250 mile trips in the S including for skiing, etc., usually with 3 kids but as many as 5. I prefer not to take my wife's ten year old Odyssey but have to bribe 11 yr old to sit backwards on long drives so have been on the X list over a year (#12,800 or so). So my use case is primarily people moving, but I've carried bikes inside (I now have an Ecohitch and bike rack), and done Ikea and Costco runs, etc where the folded down space comes in handy (eg bed frames).

I never got an email with the X seats-flat photo or even saw it until last month, so I had no particular expectations. I was a bit surprised at the reactions but seeing that photo I understand how people like Nigel and Al would be disappointed and more importantly not able to fit the X into their personal use cases as-is.

As some have opined, my guess is that Tesla didn't intentionally blow them off. They just aimed for comfortable, safe, innovative seats that enabled easy rear seat access with car seats in place, and folding was the feature they couldn't solve for in that equation. But that doesn't help if your stuff won't fit. Perhaps they'll work folding into a future iteration or offer an alternative folding seat in future.

I hope you guys will maintain Production reservations in the meantime. It also seems like some of the other voices proclaiming doom and gloom about shovels and lamps should wait and see how much can really fit in the car, especially in the 6 seat version. Sometimes this is driven by panic as they have Sig reservations to configure, but many have more time and some probably don't even have a reservation but are just piling on. Finally I ask that all add to their signatures a point about not allowing quoting outside the forum. Not a panacea but could help reduce the noise leakage.
Well said.

Can somebody point me to instructions on how to make a signature line?

I have read every post in this thread and commented a couple of times. In particular, I appreciate the well written posts of those who cancelled their Sig reservations. The discussion has firmed up my own decision regarding my relatively recent X reservation. I'm going ahead with it regardless, but I sure hope there is a folding second row seat by the time mine goes into production. If I had a Sig reservation, I'm not sure what I would do.

Mike. Long time EV driver of conversions. Never thought I would be spending $120K on a car, but as I near retirement, I ask myself "If not now, when?". I don't own an S. My current ride is a Leaf. Will be replacing Highlander Hybrid with X.

Done Peter. I will keep it 'in the TMC family' I hope Bonnie does not take offense as I copied her 'do not quote me' signature':wink:

Isn't this what makes this a great place?. For far too long many ardent supporters of Tesla in this forum were accused as fanboys, Muskuvites, Teslarians who can find nothing that Tesla can do wrong.

Nigel's decision to cancel and his post here clearly shows thats not the case and thus lends a lot of credibility to the support Tesla received and continues to receive in this forum.

This should only be a big source of concern to those shills and trolls in Seeking Alpha and other outfits, because this forum becomes even more a reliable, credible and trusted source of information on Tesla to the general public.