Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reading speed limit signs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 had a deep gouge in it's front bumper at delivery so I was given a BMW X3 as a loaner while Tesla removed and repainted the bumper. The X3 did a great job of recognizing the speed limit signs which made me wonder if it has technology to "see" the signs and display them on the dash. Yesterday, however, I drove my Model 3 in a rural area for an hour and at least 90% of the time it didn't display any speed limit on the monitor so it defaulted to an autopilot speed limit which was much less than the posted speed limit. Kind of frustrating. From what I understand, the problem seems to be with inaccurate/outdated Google maps. Is this something that could be remedied with future software updates or are we stuck with less than ideal Autopilot in these situations?

My Model 3 had a deep gouge in it's front bumper at delivery so I was given a BMW X3 as a loaner while Tesla removed and repainted the bumper. The X3 did a great job of recognizing the speed limit signs which made me wonder if it has technology to "see" the signs and display them on the dash. Yesterday, however, I drove my Model 3 in a rural area for an hour and at least 90% of the time it didn't display any speed limit on the monitor so it defaulted to an autopilot speed limit which was much less than the posted speed limit. Kind of frustrating. From what I understand, the problem seems to be with inaccurate/outdated Google maps. Is this something that could be remedied with future software updates or are we stuck with less than ideal Autopilot in these situations?

The maps get updates.
Additionally, Karpathy and the AP team are working on getting the vision to read the speed limit signs.

The S and X both read speed limit signs reliably. I expect the 3 will gain this capability real soon now.

Yes, AP1.
Don't know why AP2 doesn't have this capability. Probably just one of a long list of items which need to be added in the shift from AP1 to AP2.
Anyway, it should be coming "real soon now".

Tesla's plan was to develop AP2 SW in parallel with keeping the MobilEye unit (brains of AP1), but that relationship didn't last. So AP2 only has as many features as they've developed since that point.
Karpathy and team seem to be making great progress. There are a few interesting talks he has given on vision and neural nets along with the interesting classification issues.

I'm going to guess that the BMW didn't read the sign, only used the information on the maps. The Garmin GPSs have this information and they are highly accurate.
The current map data in the M3 is terrible. I'd say that half of the speed limit is correct.
I believe that I hear the Elon said the August release will have update base map information.

I'm going to guess that the BMW didn't read the sign, only used the information on the maps. The Garmin GPSs have this information and they are highly accurate.
The current map data in the M3 is terrible. I'd say that half of the speed limit is correct.
I believe that I hear the Elon said the August release will have update base map information.

BMW does have sign reading (based on my survey of their forums including feature lists)

Speed limit sign reading sounds almost like a grad student level project for a midterm at this point in history. I wonder why it's taking so long?

Reading it wrong is just as catastrophic -- it can lead to artificially low limits for divided roads (where you can only drive at the speed limit + 5 mph), and certain states have oddly rectangular signage for their state routes:
il113.jpg

It sucks that the map tile speed limits aren't always up to date, but if they don't have the motivation to fix that and perfect it, I'd rather not try their first cut at reading signs....

Reactions: FarmerDave