TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Reading speed limit signs

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by kmcdds, Jul 14, 2018.

1. kmcdds

kmcdds Member

My Model 3 had a deep gouge in it's front bumper at delivery so I was given a BMW X3 as a loaner while Tesla removed and repainted the bumper. The X3 did a great job of recognizing the speed limit signs which made me wonder if it has technology to "see" the signs and display them on the dash. Yesterday, however, I drove my Model 3 in a rural area for an hour and at least 90% of the time it didn't display any speed limit on the monitor so it defaulted to an autopilot speed limit which was much less than the posted speed limit. Kind of frustrating. From what I understand, the problem seems to be with inaccurate/outdated Google maps. Is this something that could be remedied with future software updates or are we stuck with less than ideal Autopilot in these situations?

2. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

The maps get updates.
    Additionally, Karpathy and the AP team are working on getting the vision to read the speed limit signs.

3. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

The S and X both read speed limit signs reliably. I expect the 3 will gain this capability real soon now.

4. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Are you refering to the AP1 versions of S/X? My understanding is that AP 2.0 and 2.5 are both map based currently.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Yes, AP1.
    Don't know why AP2 doesn't have this capability. Probably just one of a long list of items which need to be added in the shift from AP1 to AP2.
    Anyway, it should be coming "real soon now".

• Funny x 1
  6. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Tesla's plan was to develop AP2 SW in parallel with keeping the MobilEye unit (brains of AP1), but that relationship didn't last. So AP2 only has as many features as they've developed since that point.
    Karpathy and team seem to be making great progress. There are a few interesting talks he has given on vision and neural nets along with the interesting classification issues.

7. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

I'm going to guess that the BMW didn't read the sign, only used the information on the maps. The Garmin GPSs have this information and they are highly accurate.
    The current map data in the M3 is terrible. I'd say that half of the speed limit is correct.
    I believe that I hear the Elon said the August release will have update base map information.

8. karpetkutter

karpetkutter Member

I agree very often the speed limit is wrong or there is a substantial lag when entering a town therefore have turn off AP to avoid racing through town and same deal when leaving towns it will stay at the low speed limit for miles sometimes.

9. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

BMW does have sign reading (based on my survey of their forums including feature lists)

10. DR61

DR61 Member

Our 2017 Volvo reads speed limit signs. Accuracy is perhaps 60-70% correct; usually errors are result if not picking up a sign change and continuing with the previous value.

11. jamnmon66

jamnmon66 Member

I emailed support about how to update the speed limit on the map. In their answer, they mentioned (unprompted) that reading speed limit signs is being worked on but no ETA yet.

12. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

Speed limit sign reading sounds almost like a grad student level project for a midterm at this point in history. I wonder why it's taking so long?

13. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Check out some reasons here (Karpathy presentation):

• Informative x 1
  14. jamnmon66

jamnmon66 Member

Fascinating. Thanks for posting this.

• Like x 1
  15. Larry Hutchinson

I keep hearing about how AP1 cars read speed signs. Well, my 2016 facelift MS used to — perhaps 6 months or more ago — but now it clearly doesn’t. I can go by 3 40 MPH signs and the screen still reads 25 (there were no 25 signs) and then finally it will show 40.

Sucks

16. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Reading it wrong is just as catastrophic -- it can lead to artificially low limits for divided roads (where you can only drive at the speed limit + 5 mph), and certain states have oddly rectangular signage for their state routes:
    [​IMG]

It sucks that the map tile speed limits aren't always up to date, but if they don't have the motivation to fix that and perfect it, I'd rather not try their first cut at reading signs....

• Like x 1
  17. yagerd

yagerd Member

Oregon uses SPEED LIMIT and SPEED interchangeably, My AP-1 uses to read both 95% of the time. For the last 6 months it has been reading SPEED LIMIT 95% of the time and SPEED 5% of the time.

18. TurnFast

TurnFast Member

Since this was functionality the original AP had, I'm assuming people with EAP will eventually get this too, or is it possible sign reading will be a FSD only feature in the future?

19. rhumbliner

rhumbliner Member

+1

We routinely travel from Jackson to Bend via Burns and have experienced this as well.

20. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Anything is possible, but I predict Tesla will have this in EAP.