Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real cost to drive a Model S per month vs what you would have bought

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This months data is in! With our out-of-house free charging we were able to drive for $17 this month (over 900 miles) with an average of 301Wh/mile! Can't express in words how happy I am with this car...sniff sniff.

The Model S will save you money compared to a similarly priced car. It would take a ton of driving to match a car that costs $50,000 less.

yeah you explain the obvious very well.

you need gen3 for true saving for everyone. Right now, if you are shopping for car in range of $50k and up should test drive model s (if you don't it not sure what to say to the buyer :eek:)

FWIW, I changed my PGE rate plan to the E9 plan that starts at $0.04 a kwh from 12am to 7am. I recently drove 164 miles using about 50 kwh of energy which is about 3.28 miles per kwh and about $0.012 per mile. If you hypothetically use that rate, I'm spending about $10.80 a month for 900 miles. :biggrin:

I would have bought another Porsche 911 turbo, and I would be spending $80 for Premium Unleaded every 200 miles or so, given that I drive about 600 miles a month, that would be $240 saved. Plus the $100k difference in the model I had chosen...and I'm happy!

The thing that is really going to drive up the cost of ownership for me is the cost of tires. With the P85+, rear tires are $800 ($400 each). After 1,000 miles of use, I'm down to almost 6/32 on the rear. If I'm lucky, I'll get 8,000 miles out of a set (I just had an alignment done which should help a little). That is $1 to go 10 miles. So with energy costs, I'm looking at $4 for 30 miles. So a 30mpg car with cheaper tires that can go 25,000 miles on a set would only cost a little more to run. I would have to add the cost of oil changes, which is minimal since I do them myself, but I wouldn't have the $600/yr annual service I have to pay on the Tesla. So, no real savings for me, but I love the driving experience so much, I wouldn't trade the MS for anything!

With no gas and solar covering the cost of charging the car I would estimate I'm saving $150 - $200 a month. If I factor in the value of my time saved (a real opportunity cost for me) by not having to pump gas once a week versus the time required to plug in and out every day, add another $100 or so.