Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real Problem When A Lane Transitions To 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed that autopilot can not handle driving when a lane expands to 2 lanes to form a passing lane, which happens here a lot in Texas. This is true even if there are markings to lead a car into the slow lane. The car gets squirrelly and the left lane marking gets all messed up. It jumps around, forms curved lines and just disappears at time. Autopilot can just not figure out what is going on. The car tries to stay in the middle of the expanded lane and then when it sees The markings for The new lane it tries to go left, then right then kind of gives up The ghost and says for me to take over. If I did this at The local speed limit of 70mph it could easily cause a crash. After the first time, I tried it at 40 with no other cars around to be sure of what was happening. The same thing happens sometimes when the passing lane ends. But it is not consistent but it seems that if is any sign of a curve at the end makes it happen. How can Tesla get real fsd if it can not figure this out.

This frustrates me quite a bit too. Whenever I take someone for a first ride in a Model 3 and show them autopilot I have to explain how you have to take over to prevent weird things like this. The car really should be better at recognizing one lane turning into two or two lanes merging into one and act less erratic/aggressive driving toward the 'middle' (especially at highway speeds as you mentioned).

Reactions: jkeyser14 and Tz00
Are you thinking this should already be solved in the still-under-development FSD, or are you thinking they won't be able to solve this problem?
I think Tesla should be able to fix this. I believe it has to do with software. When a lane reaches a point of width the car still tried to center instead of staying near one side of the other. The software seems to be available because when I am in autopilot and there is a wide off ramp the car stays near the left side of the lane.

Did you submit a bug report? Sounds like it would be worthwhile to do so.

If Tesla doesn't already know this, we are in deep trouble. I've seen it 100 times and I've seen it reported here a number of times.

I would hope every divide doesn't need to be mapped for the system to work.

I also think only NoA can handle this, because often it needs to know where you're going.

This has happened since day one (9 months ago for me) when a highway splits into two different highways (routes).
Where the lane initially gets wider and wider, it centers itself on "two lanes" with no divider (yet) then suddenly the car is on top of the lane split marking and doesn't know what to do.

NoA knows which route your going and can't prioritize left vs right. But AP (Auto Steer only) has no idea where you are going.

I'm not sure if the camera can even see far enough to know ahead that it needs to hug left or right long before it reached the lane split.
Hmmm, maybe each case does need to be mapped. Ugh.

FSD feature complete in 6 months !!

Reactions: jkeyser14
I have noticed that autopilot can not handle driving when a lane expands to 2 lanes to form a passing lane, which happens here a lot in Texas. This is true even if there are markings to lead a car into the slow lane. The car gets squirrelly and the left lane marking gets all messed up. It jumps around, forms curved lines and just disappears at time. Autopilot can just not figure out what is going on. The car tries to stay in the middle of the expanded lane and then when it sees The markings for The new lane it tries to go left, then right then kind of gives up The ghost and says for me to take over. If I did this at The local speed limit of 70mph it could easily cause a crash. After the first time, I tried it at 40 with no other cars around to be sure of what was happening. The same thing happens sometimes when the passing lane ends. But it is not consistent but it seems that if is any sign of a curve at the end makes it happen. How can Tesla get real fsd if it can not figure this out.

are you on version 12 or 16? I had this problem on 12 but seems to be fixed on 16

I was actually pleasantly surprised with 2019.16.2 in many similar situations. But I think much of that was the layout of the lanes, such that straight ahead was the lane I wanted, and maybe the lane markings. It seemed like a right or left arrow in a lane usually kept the car from using it. A lane split which ran you straight into a lane line was not very good.

Yes, the car still needs a driver. Basic AP is not intended to be super smart. FSD will have to be, but that may take a while.

I'm always watching to see what the car is going to do when I'm in a lane that is splitting into two. If I detect the car wanting to drift in the middle and can't seem to make up its mind - I grab the steering wheel and force it into the lane I prefer. Depending on the location, sometimes the right lane is best - other times the left lane is best.

When the car breaks out of autopilot when you grab the steering to take over - an event is triggered and I've heard that Tesla monitors these scenarios to determine the reason for breaking out of autopilot. Over the last several months with the updates pushed to the car, I have seen noticeable improvements in the car predicting a lane in many of these scenarios.

AP seems to want two lines to guide it. It won't rely on just one side. Maybe that is because if the center line is the one that got deleted on the left then following the left line will put the car in the wrong way.
If the car follows the right line it might exit out of the highway unwantedly.

A possible solution for AP programming could be driver input with turn signal.
When one lane becomes two, if driver inputs left turn signal the car will take the left lane and vice versa.

Similarly AP could be programmed so that when 2 lanes merge into one, the driver signal would assist which way the car should be nudged.

Last edited: