Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real World Range on 4680 Battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys.....I took delivery of my AWD 4680 Y in May, and have over 12,000 miles on it.

I live in Western Maine, so I have warm weather specs, and some early returns on winter.

First: home charging. I've got a Clipper Creek hard-wired to a 50A breaker, output of 9.6kW. The car charges at 37mph at home.

Consumption: May 6th (delivery date), through Oct. 31. 250 Wh/mi.
Nov 1-today (colder weather): 289Wh/mi.

Not bad at all. And yes, with 12,000 miles on it, I've been from NJ to ME, ME to VA and back (x2), and everything in between, so not just in-town.

My ONLY complaint, and it's negated by having enough SuC's on the east coast....the SuC speed could use some tweaks. It drops below 100kW at ~37-40% SoC. I'm hoping they're kind to me in the Holiday Update. Even so....it's only about 90 minutes of charging over an 800 mile trip.

For the record, data pulled from Tessie app. As always, YMMV.

Hi guys.....I took delivery of my AWD 4680 Y in May, and have over 12,000 miles on it.

I live in Western Maine, so I have warm weather specs, and some early returns on winter.

First: home charging. I've got a Clipper Creek hard-wired to a 50A breaker, output of 9.6kW. The car charges at 37mph at home.

Not bad at all. And yes, with 12,000 miles on it, I've been from NJ to ME, ME to VA and back (x2), and everything in between, so not just in-town.

My ONLY complaint, and it's negated by having enough SuC's on the east coast....the SuC speed could use some tweaks. It drops below 100kW at ~37-40% SoC. I'm hoping they're kind to me in the Holiday Update. Even so....it's only about 90 minutes of charging over an 800 mile trip.

I have the 4680 AWD as well. All good, here in Seattle, as well. Nine months in.

Reactions: Big Earl

Good info. I've read about the slower charging curve vs the 2170 batteries and while it really only matters on a road trip, I also hope it's something they can fix via SW update. With the Cybertruck having a 123 kWh battery, it could take quite a while to charge up on the road if the current 4680 charging curve doesn't improve.

Reactions: jebinc
Good info. I've read about the slower charging curve vs the 2170 batteries and while it really only matters on a road trip, I also hope it's something they can fix via SW update. With the Cybertruck having a 123 kWh battery, it could take quite a while to charge up on the road if the current 4680 charging curve doesn't improve.
I've seen some reputable "napkin math" from battery experts online, and it's rumored that the 4680 pack has a large buffer (~5kWh), so I'm confident they can bump it.

Back in 2020, I had a Perf X that was a 100kWh pack, but JUST before they started calling it the Long Range pack. that revision maxed out at 170kW, until an update was pushed and it went up to 210kW. The pack after that was the full 250.

I don't care so much about peak with this car, but I'd like it to be able to hold 100kW up to 50%. That alone would cut some time off most charges. Besides, when supercharging opens up next year, they're going to want to do everything they can to get us out of the way to make room for bigger revenue generators.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc

Yeah I was going to say, that's another reason Im still happy my Standard Range Y.. there are a ton of Superchargers here. There's one every 10-15 miles.

Great points overall and thanks for the wh/mi average. Really helps with future decision making.