Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real World Range on 4680 Battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can say the same thing about Apple these days. Every presentation and product remains the same as the previous year. But the big disappointments like when Apple Maps was introduced? Or the Siri remote? Mobile Me, the iPod HiFi, or the Mac Pro trash can?
One difference is they don’t intentionally ddcueve with murky numbers.
Another is Apple doesn’t make promises about specific, and perhaps hypothetical, new products or improvements arriving in two weeks, or a year etc.

Reactions: jsight and Daekwan
Another is Apple doesn’t make promises about specific, and perhaps hypothetical, new products or improvements arriving in two weeks, or a year etc.
Apple VR headset, Apple car 😂 Just a couple items Apple have hinting / talking about for years.

And Apple has been murky AF when it comes to security features, outright lying in many cases, only to get caught in the lies. And remember antennagate? Apple deceives just like any other company.

Look, you're missing the point. Apple isn't this perfect company you place on a pedestal. I'm guessing you're an Apple fan, based on your defense of them and slandering of Google? That's fine, but at least be realistic and don't live in that Steve Jobs "reality distortion bubble".

Last edited:
Apple VR headset, Apple car 😂 Just a couple items Apple have hinting / talking about for years.

And Apple has been murky AF when it comes to security features, outright lying in many cases, only to get caught in the lies. And remember antennagate? Apple deceives just like any other company.

Look, you're missing the point. Apple isn't this perfect company you place on a pedestal. I'm guessing you're an Apple fan, based on your defense of them and slandering of Google? That's fine, but at least be realistic and don't live in that Steve Jobs "reality distortion bubble".
Has Apple ever given held a public presentation on Apple VR or Apple Car?

Seems like you are literally making things up.

Reactions: Yelobird
Has Apple ever given held a public presentation on Apple VR or Apple Car?

Seems like you are literally making things up.
While you may be unaware of things like Project Titan, doesn't mean it is made up, nor did I say anything about "public presentations". Anyone can search what has, and hasn't been said/done by Apple. It's public record. No need to slander me over it.

And I simple responded to what advocate8 said in his last post. You may want to reread what he said, and then what I said in my response.

No need to slander me over it.

And I simple responded to what advocate8 said in his last post. You may want to reread what he said, and then what I said in my response.

Can say the same thing about Apple these days. Every presentation and product remains the same as the previous year. But the big disappointments like when Apple Maps was introduced? Or the Siri remote? Mobile Me, the iPod HiFi, or the Mac Pro trash can?

Has Apple ever given/held a public presentation on Apple VR or Apple Car?

While you may be unaware of things like Project Titan, doesn't mean it is made up, nor did I say anything about "public presentations". Anyone can search what has, and hasn't been said/done by Apple. It's public record. No need to slander me over it.

Its not made up, but it is fair to make a distinction between products that were publicly announced with some timelines (eg, cybertruck) versus things that have not been publicly announced. Presumably they won't announce a timeline until they have some confidence in it.

Contrast that with Cybertruck that didn't even have a factory. And when they built the factory, they started iwth a different car because CT wasn't even the priority.

Compared to that, Apple looks pretty good. And I don't even like Apple. :)

Jobs’ shortcomings were pretty obvious. He lived them out on a big stage, much like Elon is doing now. Not really an apple fan. just pointing out they weren’t and aren’t in the same realm as Tesla when it comes to hype and vaporware. The 4680 is substandard so far. Maybe permanently. The CT has taken years longer than stated. FSD is a running punchline as far as timeline and stated upcoming performance. Robotaxis may never happen. But really, the 4680 battery day “data” was what frosted my cake. I feel like I was conned.

Its not made up, but it is fair to make a distinction between products that were publicly announced with some timelines (eg, cybertruck) versus things that have not been publicly announced. Presumably they won't announce a timeline until they have some confidence in it.

Contrast that with Cybertruck that didn't even have a factory. And when they built the factory, they started iwth a different car because CT wasn't even the priority.

Compared to that, Apple looks pretty good. And I don't even like Apple. :)

This is the point I was going to eventually make. Apple is probably the WORST possible analogy when it comes to product launches & actual performance. Generally speaking when Apple holds a press conference to publicly announce or acknowledge a new product they give an EXACT date when that product is going to launch.. and a price to go along with it. When it does it gets tested by everybody.. literally every major tech publication.

Take their M1/M2 chip for example. 3 years ago Apple decided to replace Intel CPU's with their own in-house-built solution. Apple had been using Intel i3/i5/i7 chips for the past 14 years.. but claimed on their first try.. their own 64-bit SoC was faster than any mobile processor they have used from Intel.. and everyone doubted them including me. After that computer launched (exactly when they said it would).. Everybody from Linus Tech Tips to the Verge tested it and found it was indeed basically the fastest Macbook ever made. In addition to being the fastest, it also ran the coolest and had the longest battery life. Apple's chip was so much better than Intel's offering that it instantly killed the value of any Macbook with an Intel CPU. Nobody wanted the older technology.

You compare that with the Cybertruck which was announced in Nov 2019 and here we are 4 years later with nothing but prototypes shown here & there. The last one was shown at the Investor Day event last month and they still haven't decided if the truck is going to have a windshield wiper or not. The Tesla Cybertruck wiper blade saga continues

Cybertruck has no actual launch date. Pricing is still unknown. The same questions remain with the drivetrain, range, power, etc. All the basic things people tend to know before buying a new vehicle. The Tesla Semi was first shown in 2017 and is just now launching and we STILL don't know the answers to the questions above.. like price, drivetrain, range, power, etc. It's all been kept very hush-hush between Tesla & Pepsi.

Meanwhile, this very thread is still questioning the real-world range of the 4680.. because apparently, nobody knows lol. I've searched Google, Youtube, and the typical EV review sites and can't find a straight answer. Hell, even Byorn has yet to test one of his 1000KM how-long-does-take tests. This is absolutely ridiculous considering this car has been sold to customers since June of last year. The only thing all of us can agree on is that the result will NOT be the advertised 279 miles as it's practically impossible to duplicate a real-world driving situation that will produce 279 actual miles of driving off a fully charged 4680 Model Y. My best guess is about 235 miles of real-world range.

I would hope InsideEVs will be up to the task as I am a SuperFan of their 70mph range test. They take a lot of EVs, fill the battery up to 100% and drive it at a steady 70mph with the HVAC set to 70 degrees all the way down to 0%. They then publish those results compared against others. Is the most simple test I've seen.. that's also the most useful. Because the reality is that the only time you will actually care how much range a modern EV has.. is when taking a long highway trip. Nobody needs 300 miles of range to make it to their office building and back home from work every day:

Last edited:
You compare that with the Cybertruck which was announced in Nov 2019 and here we are 4 years later with nothing but prototypes shown here & there. The last one was shown at the Investor Day event last month and they still haven't decided if the truck is going to have a windshield wiper or not. The Tesla Cybertruck wiper blade saga continues

Exactly... honestly, with Tesla even the successful ones are weird. The Model Y had fully announced pricing and configurations, and accepted orders. Then they shipped, not just on time but early!

But they also somewhat randomly cancelled the LR RWD configuration and left all those orders in a pretty confused state.

Its a really strange company.

Reactions: advocate8
Cybertruck video out there showing the wiper actually running. Looks pretty cool. There are quite a few prototypes running around various locations, with all kinds of sensors etc on them. It's a real thing. Oh, and they have job posted many positions specifically for Cybertruck production at Austin, so....

I saw one on YT. Guy did it in 39 degree weather. Was below EPA. The vid was five days old.
My 2 cents (recently bought a 4680 MY)...

The first 540miles with the car I averaged 270wh/mi and that included a roundtrip Manhattan to Washington DC with a full car (4 people and luggage), AC on, regular driving without any attempt at maximizing range (5 to 10 mph over the limit on highways, limit on I95 is around 65).
So it was about 80% on highway and 20% city driving..

If I'm correct 270wh/mi with a 67.5KWh battery means around 250miles of actual range (with a lot of highway driving)...

I saw one on YT. Guy did it in 39 degree weather. Was below EPA. The vid was five days old.
I saw that one but it was fairly inconclusive.
My 2 cents (recently bought a 4680 MY)...

The first 540miles with the car I averaged 270wh/mi and that included a roundtrip Manhattan to Washington DC with a full car (4 people and luggage), AC on, regular driving without any attempt at maximizing range (5 to 10 mph over the limit on highways, limit on I95 is around 65).
So it was about 80% on highway and 20% city driving..

If I'm correct 270wh/mi with a 67.5KWh battery means around 250miles of actual range (with a lot of highway driving)...
That matches my preconceived notions so it must be true. :)

More seriously thank you, that is really helpful. Just like with the spoken reviews video that almost exactly matches the performance that I see from a 2021 MYLR that was originally rated for 323 miles with 19" Geminis.

I think this version is actually a bargain, tbh.

Reactions: jebinc
I saw that one but it was fairly inconclusive.

That matches my preconceived notions so it must be true. :)

More seriously thank you, that is really helpful. Just like with the spoken reviews video that almost exactly matches the performance that I see from a 2021 MYLR that was originally rated for 323 miles with 19" Geminis.

I think this version is actually a bargain, tbh.
I think the real bargain was for those who wanted to lease it a little while ago (like I did)… right before they made the AWD available to order on the website it was still available through the existing inventory at $3K less than the LR, as we know, but for some reason it leased for 110$ less than the LR…
I remember the LR was 609$/month while the AWD was offered at 499, that’s when I jumped on it.

Then they lowered the cash prices but the leasing’s money factor went up and today the LR leases for 564 and the AWD for 524…

• Informative
Reactions: jsight and jebinc
I think for some of the forum members here, the base AWD is even more of a bargain since this thread started as it continued to qualify for the $7500 federal ev tax credit and starting at $47,490. If you qualify for the full tax credit, that brings this base AWD down to $39,990 plus fees etc.

Some of you may continue to be unimpressed, but this is truly amazing at least to me personally as I am one of those who is looking at add a second car to the family (primary vehicle is a Honda Odyssey) to serve as kid/school runs vehicle around the city and errand runs to local banks and supermarkets. Originally looking at budget friendly options such a Honda CRV or Honda less optioned Pilot, and would never consider a Tesla model Y prior to the price discounts and EV tax credit. With the Model Y dipping below $40, all of a sudden this is a complete game changer. 100% no doubt I would ditch the gas engine crossovers with droning CVT transmissions and pick up the Model Y. The experience of driving a Tesla for the first time is similar to playing with an iPhone for the first time back in 2007 when we still had the pushbuttons phones. There is NO going back. When the time comes to find the replacement for the Odyssey, will be looking at full electric minivans. Eyeing the VW ID Buzz or the Canoo Lifestyle Vehicle if the company survives.

I think for some of the forum members here, the base AWD is even more of a bargain since this thread started as it continued to qualify for the $7500 federal ev tax credit and starting at $47,490. If you qualify for the full tax credit, that brings this base AWD down to $39,990 plus fees etc.

Some of you may continue to be unimpressed, but this is truly amazing at least to me personally as I am one of those who is looking at add a second car to the family (primary vehicle is a Honda Odyssey) to serve as kid/school runs vehicle around the city and errand runs to local banks and supermarkets. Originally looking at budget friendly options such a Honda CRV or Honda less optioned Pilot, and would never consider a Tesla model Y prior to the price discounts and EV tax credit. With the Model Y dipping below $40, all of a sudden this is a complete game changer. 100% no doubt I would ditch the gas engine crossovers with droning CVT transmissions and pick up the Model Y. The experience of driving a Tesla for the first time is similar to playing with an iPhone for the first time back in 2007 when we still had the pushbuttons phones. There is NO going back. When the time comes to find the replacement for the Odyssey, will be looking at full electric minivans. Eyeing the VW ID Buzz or the Canoo Lifestyle Vehicle if the company survives.
We love ours!