Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real World Range on 4680 Battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does MYSR limit L2 charging to 32A? Or does it go to 48A like the LR?
Limits to 32A.

I have a 30A EVSE at home so that doesn't matter to me.

I also have the original Y SR. It really was the best bargain Tesla. Don't regret going with it at all.

Having said that, I would go LR instead of the current AWD. The SR was CAD$13k cheaper than than the LR and with it being only RWD, it is more energy efficient too.

The AWD at only USD$3k less than LR wouldn't be worth it for me. I'd pay the extra money not necessarily for the longer range, but the fewer cycles I'd be putting on the battery.

That's the deal breaker for me. Sometimes I need to charge in a few hours vs. overnight. Thanks

I think he's talking about the Y SR that he bought during the brief period that they were available. I've yet to see charging specs for the current Y AWD (4680). The Wall Connector charging website only notes that the 3 SR charges at 32 amps. Wall Connector

If anyone knows the max AC charging current of the current Y AWD, please enlighten us.

The MYSR became available shortly after I ordered my LR, and I briefly considered changing my order.... But I wanted the AWD since I do travel regularly to Upstate NY and Boston in all seasons... But it was a great deal for sure, with very usable range, as you've noted.
You did the right thing. You chose the option with least possible long-term regrets.

I have no problem admitting I'd rather have a MYLR or MYP. That said I also have no problem admitting I didn't want to pay $10K extra for the MYLR or $20K extra for the MYP. At the end of the day you chose the vehicle that gives you the most traction, longest range and best resale value.. and probably financed at the lowest APR ever offered on a Tesla. Its a solid decision and one where I cant imagine you regret anything.

Another reason why I didn't go for the MYLR is that this is my first EV. The whole thing was basically an experiment as I saw the $39,990 price tag as basically the same money I was already spending to drive my CRV + gas every month. Turns out Im actually saving money as the CRV would be anywhere from $50 to $100 more to drive every month depending on the price of gas. I drive a lot.. 20K miles a year. So realizing the gas savings was more important to me than traction or range.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanDi58
Limits to 32A.

I have a 30A EVSE at home so that doesn't matter to me.

I also have the original Y SR. It really was the best bargain Tesla. Don't regret going with it at all.

Having said that, I would go LR instead of the current AWD. The SR was CAD$13k cheaper than than the LR and with it being only RWD, it is more energy efficient too.

The AWD at only USD$3k less than LR wouldn't be worth it for me. I'd pay the extra money not necessarily for the longer range, but the fewer cycles I'd be putting on the battery.

Apologies sorry for confusing anyone. To help with the confusion I created here are the Model Y naming conventions & abbreviations:
  • MYSR - Model Y Standard Range. RWD only. 244 EPA miles. It only sold in early 2021. Previous price $39,990.
  • MYLR - Model Y Long Range. AWD only. Sold in 2020 & 2021 with 326 EPA miles. 2022 & 2023 with 330 EPA miles. Current price $52,990.
  • MYP - Model Y Performance. AWD only. Sold 2020-2023 with 303 EPA miles. Current price $56,990.
  • MY-AWD - Model Y All-wheel Drive. AWD only. Sold 2022 & 2023. Current price $49,990.

But your post captures my entire point. Saving $10K.. was a lot different than saving $3K. When saving $10K, your payment is around $200 cheaper a month.. a very noticeable difference every month. When you're saving just $3K, your payment is about $60 cheaper a month.. hardly noticeable.

Considering most people are now financing cars for 6 years. I'm just not sure how many people actually care about saving $60 a month, especially when it means giving up 50 miles of range. This would seem especially important to new EV owners who have no idea what the real-world range of an EV is like. If anything, a first-time EV buyer will have severe range anxiety. Look at how many new Tesla owners tend to post topics like "Why does my car say 330 miles.. but I only went 200"

Once you understand how an EV works. Especially highway range. You understand that your speed, wind, elevation, weather, HVAC, charging locations, charging speed, charging network reliability, charging apps, charging, curves, etc.. even the car's smartphone app all matter in determining exactly how long it takes you to drive a specific EV from point A to B. As you get to understand these topics + the actual "real world" range of your specific EV = any type of range anxiety gets ALOT less scary. For example, I am 1000% comfortable with driving my Tesla all the way down to 5% or less before hitting a Supercharger. I'm also 100% comfortable with driving my wife's ID.4 and keeping it charged using EA chargers. I honestly feel like I drive any EV.. anywhere I need to go.. and never have to worry about charging. I've mastered all of the charging apps & charging networks. I even know how to easily locate free chargers.. public parking lots with paid/free chargers.. or hotels with free chargers in case I want to take a long-distance vacation in my EV.

I do think Tesla will eventually offer the Model Y with even more range. And I do think the 4680 battery will eventually unlock some of the magic it promised. But right now it is what it, it is. For anybody who has read this entirely too long post.. and still decides to buy the $49,990 MY-AWD my guess is you will be looking at 200-250 *real-world* miles of range. If you decide to buy the $52,9990 MYLR my guess is you will be looking at 250-300 real-world miles.

As I pointed out above there are a TON of factors that will affect the real-world range of your specific EV.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
I'd like Tesla to make a LFP MY. My 2020 MY AWD has a rated range of 326 (316 before the SW update, 290 after 2.5 years). My 2022 M3 LFP had a stated range of 272 (265 after 1 year).

When taking both cars on long trips, i marvel at the real world range. Both cars depart and arrive at the same SoC. Naturally, I'd expect the MY to arrive at a higher SoC. On real trips, they are both good for max of ~260 miles (100% to 0%). Naturally the M3 takes less energy than the MY, but the LFP M3 can actually go it's rated range, while the NCA MY cannot.

The big difference is that while they are both charged to 100% before a long trip, the LFP M3 can charge to 100% every day. Not only that, but the LFP degrades slower and is safer in a crash. (While both are low risk, the LFP still has a much lower chance of a fire.

Bottom line: If I'm willing to have a lower range MY, please give me an LFP battery!

Reactions: Daekwan
I'd like Tesla to make a LFP MY. My 2020 MY AWD has a rated range of 326 (316 before the SW update, 290 after 2.5 years). My 2022 M3 LFP had a stated range of 272 (265 after 1 year).

When taking both cars on long trips, i marvel at the real world range. Both cars depart and arrive at the same SoC. Naturally, I'd expect the MY to arrive at a higher SoC. On real trips, they are both good for max of ~260 miles (100% to 0%). Naturally the M3 takes less energy than the MY, but the LFP M3 can actually go it's rated range, while the NCA MY cannot.

The big difference is that while they are both charged to 100% before a long trip, the LFP M3 can charge to 100% every day. Not only that, but the LFP degrades slower and is safer in a crash. (While both are low risk, the LFP still has a much lower chance of a fire.

Bottom line: If I'm willing to have a lower range MY, please give me an LFP battery!
They do make a MYSR in China, it's the slowest and shortest range model in the lineup. The range is about 338 miles in the CLTC rating, which translates to about 220 miles in EPA range, so probably like 180-200 miles real world range. Last I saw it's about $38k. No thanks....

The changes you’re seeing in range are probably mainly changes in the car’s predictions based on how you drive rather than entirely battery degradation.

• Disagree
Reactions: Big Earl

I believe the LFP MY is card Tesla is waiting to play AFTER they have exhausted the line of people who will buy a $50K Model Y.

The Model 3 and Model Y are going to be around a longggg time. You look at the Model S and it’s now in its 11th year of production.. and outside of a few facelifts looks the same. So give it so time.. maybe 3 years or so.. when Tesla is aiming for 5M annual sales. And it’s just common sense that they need constantly lower the price point on these vehicles to keep the production numbers growing.

Reactions: vickh
I believe the LFP MY is card Tesla is waiting to play AFTER they have exhausted the line of people who will buy a $50K Model Y.

The Model 3 and Model Y are going to be around a longggg time. You look at the Model S and it’s now in its 11th year of production.. and outside of a few facelifts looks the same. So give it so time.. maybe 3 years or so.. when Tesla is aiming for 5M annual sales. And it’s just common sense that they need constantly lower the price point on these vehicles to keep the production numbers growing.
They are readying a facelift for the Model 3 (and, probably, the MY soon after) that looks like might bring new headlights/taillights, if not any major changes. So yeah, these models will be around in essentially the same form for many years.

Reactions: Daekwan
The changes you’re seeing in range are probably mainly changes in the car’s predictions based on how you drive rather than entirely battery degradation.
Reported “battery” range is not affected by driving habits. Only degradation and BMS calibration (charging habits) affect it.

And for the record the energy graph doesn’t use past history either but does factor in current conditions, terrain etc. So is closer to actual “range”.

They won't play the LFP card in NA until LFP plants are up and running in the US with IRA approved sourcing.

A $40k USD LFP Y SR with half tax incentive is still close in price to the LR at $50k.

It would be great here in Canada now though. It could be possibly priced to take advantage of our $5k rebate too, but our market is way too small for Tesla to make it just for Canada.

Reported “battery” range is not affected by driving habits. Only degradation and BMS calibration (charging habits) affect it.

And for the record the energy graph doesn’t use past history either but does factor in current conditions, terrain etc. So is closer to actual “range”.
Mine changed quite a bit in first weeks with M3 P … it wasn’t degradation and I was charging to 80 percent.

Much agreed. So far it has been an incredible disappointment.

What was advertised as 6X the power.. 5X the energy.. and 16% more range.. has turned out to be what is probably the worst value in Teslas EV portfolio. Unless you are absolutely desperate for a brand new Model Y right now.. nobody wants to give up 50 miles of range to save $3,000 on a $55K vehicle. Let's do some of that simple math I asked for in my previous post above: For 7% more money.. the 2170 battery pack in the Long Range delivers 18% more range.

And for the "superfans" that will inevitably downvote this post.. remember this:

less-than-p-greater-than-during-teslas-battery-day-2020-drew-baglino-svp-powertrain-and-energy-engineering-and-elon-musk-ceo-introduced-the-4680-battery-less-than-p-greater-than.jpg
to be fair, the 5x energy and 6x power claims were comparing per unit of 4680 to per unit of 2170. it just means each battery is bigger. energy density only increases by the 16%.

Reactions: henderrj
to be fair, the 5x energy and 6x power claims were comparing per unit of 4680 to per unit of 2170. it just means each battery is bigger. energy density only increases by the 16%.
that’s accurate. but that wasn’t made clear in the presentation at battery day, almost certainly intentionally, you don’t blow a detail like that with a company as centered on technology as Tesla.
And it led to an endless amount of misinformation and confusion and conclusions the 4680 battery packs, not just individual batteries, would perform that much better. To this day, some people believe it, when in truth, so far they aren’t performing as well.

that’s accurate. but that wasn’t made clear in the presentation at battery day, almost certainly intentionally, you don’t blow a detail like that with a company as centered on technology as Tesla.
And it led to an endless amount of misinformation and confusion and conclusions the 4680 battery packs, not just individual batteries, would perform that much better. To this day, some people believe it, when in truth, so far they aren’t performing as well.

Tesla Investor Days today are what Google I/O used to be. A lot of hype, and usually the product is far away or a disappointment. Remember Google Plus? Nexus Q? lol

AI Day, Battery Day, whatever last year's was day... they've all been technically interesting, but not really due to products coming out soon afterwards.

Tesla Investor Days today are what Google I/O used to be. A lot of hype, and usually the product is far away or a disappointment. Remember Google Plus? Nexus Q? lol

AI Day, Battery Day, whatever last year's was day... they've all been technically interesting, but not really due to products coming out soon afterwards.
Can say the same thing about Apple these days. Every presentation and product remains the same as the previous year. But the big disappointments like when Apple Maps was introduced? Or the Siri remote? Mobile Me, the iPod HiFi, or the Mac Pro trash can?

Reactions: jsight