Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reality of the NextGen Seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For what it's worth, I spoke to the Vancouver store and they informed me that the NextGen seats are NOT made by Recaro, but are 'Recaro-like'. The same adjustments are available on both the standard seats and the NextGen seats and there *might* be some additional support built into the NextGen seats... but mostly it's additional bolstering on the sides. I was told that if I'm planning to go for longer trips, I would very likely prefer the feel of the NextGen seats.

Based on the threads on here, it was unclear if Recaro actually made the seats. However, during my visit to Detroit for the NAIAS (Auto show), I got a chance to speak with a Tesla employee who works in sourcing. He confirmed that Tesla bought/owns the company that makes the standard seats, but that indeed the NG seats come from Recaro. At least that was his story, and he did say he worked/lived in California (he was working the booth, for Tesla). I have no reason to doubt him, but of course maybe that isn't a commodity he purchase, and might have been speculation (though he said it was Recaro, definitively). I'd question the accuracy of the store you spoke with.... but I question everything I hear anywhere LOL

For the same price? Or did they change the price when it went to front only? Was there an issue with the rear design?
Front and back were $3500, now only front is available for $2500. No reason was given that I'm aware of but next-gen seats were in short supply initially and those who first ordered them in the P85D and took delivery in December 2014 are just starting to get them retrofitted now. It is probably an availability issue but there is no indication that the rear next gen seats will return at this point.

For the same price? Or did they change the price when it went to front only? Was there an issue with the rear design?
They lowered the price from $3500 to $2500 when they made them front only. As for the reason, it's up for speculation. Originally they were saying there were complaints the new seats didn't fold as flat, but the difference was minimal and hardly anyone here saw it as an issue. They added them back for a short time, but then removed them completely again. Might be a supply issue, or else just simplifying production.

Yeah - I raised that - hope I wasn't responsible for the rears being deleted.
You have me worried now!
I'd think they simply weren't necessary in the back... and might even have made it difficult to put a child seat in place, or make the dog lie down... etc. The bolsters are really for spirited driving and how often does that happen when you have a car full of people (teenagers heading for a party excepted...)?

The tesla computer code for next Gen seats is "recaro" -- saw it on the computer screen when we were looking through inventory cars.

Wasn't there also an issue of the increased headrest height of the rear Next Gen seats interfering with the rear view mirror view? I recall some posts about that.

The headrest height of the rear NG seats is the same as the 'new normal' seats that ship with the P85D (according to people who've actually seen both); the original rear seats from 2012/2013 had lower headrests.

They lowered the price from $3500 to $2500 when they made them front only. As for the reason, it's up for speculation. Originally they were saying there were complaints the new seats didn't fold as flat, but the difference was minimal and hardly anyone here saw it as an issue. They added them back for a short time, but then removed them completely again. Might be a supply issue, or else just simplifying production.

Next gen seats are $2500 more than the standard cloth seats. If you are getting leather anyway, it doesn't cost much to upgrade to next gen (for people that like more side bolstering).

GSP

But isn't the sewing pattern on the regular back seats completely different from the front seats now? I think they look like a complete mismatch.

There are horizontal seams and vertical seams on the standard rear seats, so they can coordinate with either standard or Next Gen fronts, imo. But, the now defunct Next Gen rears were a 100% match for the NG fronts, so it's a shame they are gone.

FWIW, I have had both. It is *TOTALLY* a buyer's perception as to which is better.

They put "temporary" performance seats in- the ones with red piping on them- and they were NICE. I'd say at least on par with Audi's, which was by far the most comfortable seat in my house.

When I got the front NG's, I found the headrest slants forward (forcing my neck down) and they are more buckety (for lack of a more precise actual word). I always hated 98% of what GM came out with as it always forced an odd curve in the back that is akin to bad posture. I'd stick stuff like travel pillows behind the small of my back on road trips when I was forced to drive a rental any distance just to avoid back pain.

Next road trip in the MS is next week... I hope I won't soon have the same problem. I am not seeing a way to keep a straight spine in the NG seats.

My $0.02: get the performance ones unless you are driving the pacific coast highway in the Big Sur area.

If your loaner did have the Next Gen seats, how did you like them?

I'm in the ordering process, and so far have only experienced the standard seats. From the pictures on the design studio page, I think the angles of the head restraints in the two models are significantly different --- and for me this would be a deciding factor. Can you comment?

Thanks.

Next road trip in the MS is next week... I hope I won't soon have the same problem. I am not seeing a way to keep a straight spine in the NG seats.
My $0.02: get the performance ones unless you are driving the pacific coast highway in the Big Sur area.

I'm in Ohio with the black non-NG seats in my 85D. If you end up disliking your seats I'd be happy to swap with you :) I'm really small (130 lbs 5'3") and the standard seats just float around for me. I find myself getting tossed around a bit much and have driven a few times cars with NG seats and would love them. My local SC would be happy to do the swap for me. Just let me know... only 300-miles away :)

Looking at the seats in the Design Studio online, the Next Gen seats appear to be thicker or deeper. If this is the case (and it looks quite significant in the pictures), what does this do to rear leg room? My back seat often carries a couple of passengers and they aren't always double leg amputees...!

I'm tall enough that I drive with the seat quite a way back, so rear leg room is already compromised!

I am trying to decide. I wanted to order nex gen's, but found yesterday that they do not let you sit as low. I am coming out of a 911. What is your opinion?