Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reality of upgrading battery packs (60kw -----> 100kw)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also think, at some point when there are more cars, there will be several aftermarket options for "tuning" and battery upgrades. It seems unlikely that Tesla will do this as to me it does not fit their "core mission" - which right now seems to be expanding into new EV market segments (semi trucks CUV) and working on autonomous driving. They are targeting the broader market, performance upgrades and tuning are probably less then 5% of the current ICE market - just a guess.

Remember that the amount of EV's sold and on the road is very small and all the other manufacturers have budget offerings. I'd say once Model 3 start getting out there, we will see companies start up that will offer tuning options just like higher end performance cars -think Callaway or Ruff. It seems like there has been quite a bit of progress in understanding the software CAN system and control of the basic drive-train functions as seen on other posts. Single speed transmission and induction motors are very well understood. Once the drive software is replicated then there could also be a competing operating system / software - without the self driving.

With the big exception of the autopilot, it seems like it is feasible for a new aftermarket company to take older S and then start hopping them up - also possible with base model 3 (no autopilot). What is to stop someone from buying a base model 3 with no options and dropping in salvaged parts from an S or X? Ditto with companies that take salvaged battery packs. Seems like this would be a good business opportunity for someone especially on the west coast. Right now the market and number of cars are just too small, but when there are 500K+ model 3 per year and older used / salvaged opportunities things will be different.

Should be note

Should be noted that you're gonna lose your warranty on battery at least or probably on the whole car after that. Guys give you their own warranty on replacement battery they install but whom do you trust more - multi-billion company or some tinkerers who could disappear tomorrow?

is that seller sounds familier? wk057? based on the location of seller from north corolina.

I have a single motor p85 does anyone no if it is Possible to upgrade to the 100? That’s the only upgrade for me that would be worth it .I love the bigger frunk car is fast enough and so far the weather hasn’t been to bad that I have needed all wheel drive.
Also does anyone know what my miles per full charge would be ?

It adds a lot of character/warmth to an otherwise simplistic interior.

img_3147-jpg.218684

I told myself if I ever upgraded, I'd pull the trim out so I could move it to my new one - assuming it fits.

I totally agree that the matte finish woods look way better. I have the matte figured ash and it looks great. You can tell it’s real wood and they just the right finish on it. The glossy ones look like plastic. It adds a touch of old world to a new world car.

Reactions: jjh1234
I have a single motor p85 does anyone no if it is Possible to upgrade to the 100? That’s the only upgrade for me that would be worth it .I love the bigger frunk car is fast enough and so far the weather hasn’t been to bad that I have needed all wheel drive.
Also does anyone know what my miles per full charge would be ?

The parts will physically fit, and presumably the firmware can be convinced to cooperate by someone of sufficient skill and knowledge.

Tesla has given no indication that they'll officially offer this upgrade, and I have no idea what the "rated range" for this unrated combination would be.

You could make a decent guess by looking at the difference between the P85 and 85D ratings and then the 85D and 100D ratings, though.

Tesla has given no indication that they'll officially offer this upgrade, and I have no idea what the "rated range" for this unrated combination would be.

Your chance of an official upgrade path is slim to none.

If you take a look at the P90D to P100D upgrades, they’ve needed to upgrade the seats as well due to the crash testing. There was never a P100 (non-D) so unless Tesla wants to create one just to crash test and go through the regulatory approvals, you’re most likely out of luck.

Hi all,
I've searched far and wide, but have not yet found any answers. I've got a 60D in December, and it serves my purpose for now, but as I live in the city, I'm bound to charging at superchargers time to time and once every couple of weeks when I go home to visit my parents (Where I got a 15-40 NEMA installed by an electrician).
The 60D was an excellent entry-point for me, starting off professionally and not wanting to exercise my savings in my daily-use vehicle. I would love to imagine a time when I could trade in my 60D battery for a 100kwh battery pack in the future.

Do any of you have an idea about if this could become a reality? Has Musk said anything about this?
This assumes of course that the hardware does not change so significantly that I would need to upgrade my entire vehicle.

As an aside, I've read a great deal on past MS owners trading in their vehicle for a new one - can anyone discuss this here as far as how much they've gotten back and whether or not that's a worthwhile consideration?

Really very much looking forward to feedback from you all - thanks in advance!
I wrote about an extensive plan in other threads that Tesla could use (they've probably already come up with it on their own) where an owner could trade in their current battery pack for a "degraded adjusted" cost per kwh remaining and purchase a new battery at whatever cost per kwh is reasonable from Tesla. So for example, you trade in a 60kwh pack that has 50kwh full charge left on it, you get a credit of 83% of the current cost per kwh or some other time adjusted rate, and then you purchase a 100kwh battery at the $200 per kwh pack cost Tesla has at the time.

This really only makes sense once Tesla nails down pack costs or else you'll have early adopters getting screwed and upset with later adopters getting way better deals. This is why I always thought they were waiting for the 2170 pack cost to flatten out once full production hits. And your 60kwh modules are ideal for stationary storage/warranty loaner/refurbished battery use cases. So nothing is being wasted.

I know on the dual motor cars, there is literally only a Tesla part number adapter to use a 100kwh pack on a previous dual motor vehicle that came with a smaller pack to begin with.

The parts will physically fit, and presumably the firmware can be convinced to cooperate by someone of sufficient skill and knowledge.

You could make a decent guess by looking at the difference between the P85 and 85D ratings and then the 85D and 100D ratings, though.
Thanks for the info

I've been searching for answers on this topic for the past year. Having one of the first gen 70D, at the time the thought was lease and return because I was new to the EV concept. So I didn't bother going with 85. But after almost 3 years owning it, keeping it make the most sense. I've invested time and money into it with little knick-knack as speakers upgrade. It would be not economical to sell it and trade up as the car is still good.

Not to mention defeat the purpose of going green if you change cars often to add waste to the junkyard.

I would love to have the ability to do battery upgrade to 85/90/100 as they become available and being able to keep the other 60% of the car still going.....