Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reality of upgrading battery packs (60kw -----> 100kw)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My theory is availability was tight.
Then they should have made it a premium option limiting it to those who *really* want it. The current trim options look kinda cheap in my opinion. Sure the carbon fiber is an option for those who like it. However, the black and brown wood trims aren't much better than what kia offers:

kia-black.png kia-brown.png

I expect other options for a premium vehicle like the model s.

Reactions: calisnow
I'd want to find out exactly how the 3rd party upgrade would affect future firmware upgrades, too. I suspect there would be a custom firmware created to allow the upgrade to work. You possibly will not be able to get future firmware upgrades from Tesla. Maybe that won't matter by the time an owner is willing to do such a severe modification, as the improvements from firmware upgrades may be minor for an older vehicle.

Out of curiosity, I got on ebay and asked them about the warranty. Here is their email reply.

Hello,

Your car warranty will still be in place except for the battery warranty of course. The car will continue to receive updates as usual. I can provide references to customers who did the upgrade if you will be seriously interested.

Best,
Karol

I think laws require them to honor the warranty even if you do third party work to the car. The battery may be the exception, but the remainder of the car should get warranty service unless the new battery was the cause of the problem.

Not sure Tesla will be eager to do the warranty work given their controlling nature.

I think laws require them to honor the warranty even if you do third party work to the car. The battery may be the exception, but the remainder of the car should get warranty service unless the new battery was the cause of the problem.

Not sure Tesla will be eager to do the warranty work given their controlling nature.
-
You bring up a good point Reeler. I wonder if the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act would come into play here, if Tesla made a stink on other warranty issue, just because you swapped to an aftermarket battery?(see below)
-
-
In a Consumer Alert issued by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the agency confirmed that “The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part.” The alert outlines key provisions in the law that provides protections to car owners. As defined by the FTC, an “aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer.”

“The FTC’s reference to aftermarket parts is equally applicable to specialty parts,” said Russ Deane, SEMA’s General Counsel. “Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, the warranty cannot be conditioned to a specific brand of parts, services or vehicle modifications unless those parts or services are provided free of charge.”

The alert notes that a consumer has the right to patronize independent retail stores and repair shops for parts and service without fear of voiding the new car warranty. The dealer/vehicle manufacturer has the right to deny a warranty repair but they must demonstrate that the aftermarket part caused the problem. The warranty remains in effect for all other covered parts.

The FTC alert may be downloaded using this link: www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt192.shtm.

The alert was issued in response to an FTC complaint filed last August by the Automotive Aftermarket Industry Association (AAIA), Automotive Oil Change Association (AOCA) and the Tire Industry Association (TIA).

No clue why they did away with matte obeche. I have an MX with ultra white and matte obeche - picture is with direct sunlight... awesome combo.

View attachment 218688

It adds a lot of character/warmth to an otherwise simplistic interior.

img_3147-jpg.218684

I told myself if I ever upgraded, I'd pull the trim out so I could move it to my new one - assuming it fits.

Reactions: tskguy and tedsk
Hi all,
I've searched far and wide, but have not yet found any answers. I've got a 60D in December, and it serves my purpose for now, but as I live in the city, I'm bound to charging at superchargers time to time and once every couple of weeks when I go home to visit my parents (Where I got a 15-40 NEMA installed by an electrician).
The 60D was an excellent entry-point for me, starting off professionally and not wanting to exercise my savings in my daily-use vehicle. I would love to imagine a time when I could trade in my 60D battery for a 100kwh battery pack in the future.

Do any of you have an idea about if this could become a reality? Has Musk said anything about this?
This assumes of course that the hardware does not change so significantly that I would need to upgrade my entire vehicle.

As an aside, I've read a great deal on past MS owners trading in their vehicle for a new one - can anyone discuss this here as far as how much they've gotten back and whether or not that's a worthwhile consideration?

Really very much looking forward to feedback from you all - thanks in advance!
I've been a vocal proponent about a certified battery upgrade program for a while now. Your core gets credited back to you at a reduced amount to account for battery degradation. It could then also be used for other Tesla owners to purchase; think of it as a CPO for batteries instead of cars.

Reactions: Reeler
Agree with the certified battery idea.. It's good for the environment too - all those 90/100 batteries on totaled cars could be put to use, and increase the salvage value for these cars. Such a shame that they go wasted

Agree with the certified battery idea.. It's good for the environment too - all those 90/100 batteries on totaled cars could be put to use, and increase the salvage value for these cars. Such a shame that they go wasted

That's a big thing I don't understand. Why wouldn't Tesla take Salvage car batteries? They'd be perfect to precondition. Or why not allow a owner to put in a salvage pack after a inspection of it. Win win on both sides. Maybe a shorter warranty for the salvage. It seems easy to be done especially since we know that any pack can work in any model S/X. This seems to be proof to me now that Elon lied Biggly and that there will not be a battery upgrade program ever. If that's true and we end up having to replace our Model S only because of battery degradation we will not be replacing replacing it with another Tesla. We love our Tesla but I cannot and will not support a company that Lies to its customers and participates in bait & Switch Tactics.

That's a big thing I don't understand. Why wouldn't Tesla take Salvage car batteries? They'd be perfect to precondition. Or why not allow a owner to put in a salvage pack after a inspection of it. Win win on both sides. Maybe a shorter warranty for the salvage. It seems easy to be done especially since we know that any pack can work in any model S/X. This seems to be proof to me now that Elon lied Biggly and that there will not be a battery upgrade program ever. If that's true and we end up having to replace our Model S only because of battery degradation we will not be replacing replacing it with another Tesla. We love our Tesla but I cannot and will not support a company that Lies to its customers and participates in bait & Switch Tactics.
Two things to consider. Cost per kw has not buttomed out yet, once that happens, I would think then would be the time to introduce a CPO battery upgrade program. 2nd, for all we know they do put warranty replacement batteries back into cars. There is precedent for refurbished batteries ending up in owner cars. The trick is that because it's a warranty replacement, no money is trading hands. Once out of warranty battery swaps start happening, you can bet Owners will be up in arms of they aren't getting a fair trade. If 90% of your battery is good, you should be getting 90% of your value minus whatever market correcting discounts need to be applied; age, degredation, capacity, certification fees, etc.

They aren't being wasted. They either get resold in salvage cars (see the ebay upgrade), or they get pulled apart and the modules are being used for other things like grid storage or other EV projects.

Wow jump to conclusions much? They are already offering an upgrade for the roadster. It's a little too early to be expecting Tesla to offer an upgrade on the Model S. I would think if they aren't offering upgrades by 2022 then you have something to complain about.

Wow jump to conclusions much? They are already offering an upgrade for the roadster. It's a little too early to be expecting Tesla to offer an upgrade on the Model S. I would think if they aren't offering upgrades by 2022 then you have something to complain about.
Roadster upgrade took 8 years to get started and they are using different cells than the S/X. I would hope a BUP, Battery Upgrade Program, would exist before 2020.....

Roadster upgrade took 8 years to get started and they are using different cells than the S/X. I would hope a BUP, Battery Upgrade Program, would exist before 2020.....

I hope you're right. They just gave the strong impression that anytime we ant a upgrade they would offer it. Remember Elon's tweet when the 90 kWh battery came out that 85 owner should wait for a larger pack to come out before upgrading. I see the 100 kWh pack as the pack he was referring to. No upgrade offered now. I hope your right and maybe they are to battery constrained to sell packs outside of new cars now. I just hate how it looks so much like a bait and switch.

I hope you're right. They just gave the strong impression that anytime we ant a upgrade they would offer it. Remember Elon's tweet when the 90 kWh battery came out that 85 owner should wait for a larger pack to come out before upgrading. I see the 100 kWh pack as the pack he was referring to. No upgrade offered now. I hope your right and maybe they are to battery constrained to sell packs outside of new cars now. I just hate how it looks so much like a bait and switch.
I would do a 90 to 100 upgrade at twice the cost per kw as it was offered at order. That's a pretty great deal for Tesla as long as that 90 can be used it downstream for S60 owners with the same x2 mark-up, and then the 60 battery gets the modules or whole pack used as a warranty replacement. No waste, good deals.

I wish to keep my car a long time so I'm caring it with that goal in mind. I will need to upgrade it cut the number of stops I need to make on my seasonal treks to Fl. Currently I have to hit every supercharger for an avg of 20mins each stop...I would sure love to skip two of the four. This S has never been so I'm very interested to get an upgraded battery.

What makes you so sure he will stick to his hobby in the next 4 years?
Honestly you didn't get the point - I'm not talking about capabilities of one exact individual. My point is that garage hobbyists are not comparable to the big company like Tesla. Period.
considering Tesla promised (and then reneged on) battery upgrades, not sure who I'd trust.

I would love to imagine a time when I could trade in my 60D battery for a 100kwh battery pack in the future......Do any of you have an idea about if this could become a reality?

I'd go with what's available, meaning wk057. Tesla has shown what's currently on offer is what consumers should make their decisions on. Otherwise, plenty of opportunity for indefinite waiting. I didn't know it was possible to have the car's warranty (perhaps because of Moss-Ferg) stay in effect, but post-warranty:

-100KWh upgrades would also achieve higher power. Lots for the PXXD cars, with bigger motors and inverters.
-An escape from updates, when full software control is achieved away from Tesla
-Right to repair, in full, as owners would access the drive train instead of just routine brake, suspension and interior instructions. Tesla has granted only limited compliance, under MA's 'Right to Repair'.

I agree Tesla is unlikely to offer upgrades, in the medium-term. Growing economies in the sub-culture, started by people like wk057, are more likely to spread. That's a choice some won't take, and others will probably run to.

Reactions: wcfinvader